Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mikuni, dynojet, gytr.....is this pretty much like ford, chevy, dodge? all of them essentially do the same, you just get what you like best? iv been working on jetting my 660 and dont know what to get. iv read/heard so much info on the subject my hears hurt and im going blind. so if anyone has ran this setup (or similar) in the same elevation as me, please give me your 2 cents. or if you just know what your talking about when in comes to jetting a 660, your 2 cents would also be appriciated! i am new to this, so please bare with me.

i live in north dakota.
1600-1900 ft above sea level.
sparks big core exhaust
pro designs/k&n filter setup
no airbox lid

now, i contacted sparks to see what they suggested. they said to get the dynojet kit and use what dynojet suggests for the main jets. and for the pilots, they said to get mikuni 27.5 jets. so according to dynojet, for anything under 3000 feet with aftermarket exhaust and open air box, they suggest 146 left and 148 right. then run the 27.5 mikuni pilots. can anybody tell me if this setup will work correctly.

also, i just got back from my local yamaha dealer and they tried to sell me some gytr jets. the kit consisted of new needles, main jets ranging from 145-165, and 25 pilot jets. will this kit work?

i just dont want to have to end up buying 3 different jet kits in order to get this right. i have no problem spending 80 bucks to get what i need the 1st time. i just dont want to spend 50 bucks 3 times to get what i need. thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
choose the one you want. they are all good. if you think you need larger pilots you could always buy them from the dealer for about 2.50 each.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If i had to do it over again, I would go with the GYTR kit. This way you stay in the Mikuni realm and you get the needles which I think are worth their weight in gold. The DJ stage 2 kit (I never found the stage 3 kit) only gives you instructions for jetting with the snorkle flaps cut, not for total airbox lid removal.

Get the GYTR kit, stick the needles in third clip, mains 160/165, 25 pilots 2.5 and 3 turns, it should rip.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The reason why I prefer Mikuni jets for the stock carbs:

1. Mikuni makes the carbs, logic says they at least have a clue about making jets (dynojet does too, just saying mikuni is up to the task)
2. I can buy/order mikuni jets at any yamaha and most other dealerships, I can't figure out how to order an individual dynojet main
3. I can order mikuni mains up to 210 or 220 which will flow as much as the carbs can handle so they'll work for most any build-up
3a. There is no stage 3 raptor kit listed on dynojets website, if you go internal the stage 2 kit may not be enough
4. CT sent me their own needles and some mikuni mains with their pipe, so when I needed bigger I just went to the dealership and ordered the sizes I needed

I won't knock anyone for running dynojets, but I've never had the desire to run them personally. If CT wouldn't have provided jets I probably still would've just bought the individual jets I thought I'd need for 20 bucks instead of paying 65-85 dollars for a kit. When I went internal on the motor and elminated the airbox I actually found the OEM needles made the bike run better than any of the aftermarkets I tried.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so are mikuni and gytr jets pretty much the same.....?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Shift_This said:
so are mikuni and gytr jets pretty much the same.....?
GYTR has exclusive needles, the mains and pilots are all mikuni just packaged together.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, id like to thank you all for the help. it looks like ill be getting the gytr kit from my yami dealer. my only question is about the pilots. sparks suggests using 27.5 pilot jets, but this kit comes with 25 pilots. is this much to worry about?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shift_This said:
well, id like to thank you all for the help. it looks like ill be getting the gytr kit from my yami dealer. my only question is about the pilots. sparks suggests using 27.5 pilot jets, but this kit comes with 25 pilots. is this much to worry about?
It doesn't really matter, with the 25's you'll run the screws out a little farther, that's all.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
With a piped bike running no-lid you'll be ok with 25 pilots, but you'll be tweaking those fuel screws out in the winter. You'll be ok for the summer for sure though.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good deal. thanks again. i know you guys must get sick of hearing the "jetting" questions. but like i said before, i just didnt want to have to go buy 3 kits before i finnally got it right. i think i will get the whole gytr kit instead of just the needles and the jets i THINK will work. that way, i can play around with it a little bit to see what really does work best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts