Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a 06 350 Raptor...it has a HMF pipe on it and a UNI filter that clamps right to the carb (no air box)

The guy I bought it from rode it in winter only for two years with it the way described above, he bought it with the pipe and filter already and he DID NOT KNOW IF IT WAS JETTED, but said he never had a problem with it.

The only thing I have noticed thats odd is that when i get up in RPMs near the max on my throttle it seems to bog/misfire and has no power until u let off the gas a bit. So im thinking this may be a sign that it needs bigger jets?

Also...I have read on forums that if you do exhaust and remove an air box and dont rejet that you will burn up the motor...I know this is true with 2 strokes but I asked the ATV mechanic in my town he said that its not true. Has anyone ACTUALLY burned up a motor DIRECTLY because of not rejetting after these mods?

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
It will definitely hurt the motor if not jetted properly. The high RPM problem could just mean the carb/jets need cleaning. Take out your spark plug. If there is white on the end, your running lean and need to jet it. Brown means your good, and black means your running rich.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just changed the plug today, old one was pretty black...so that means it is jetted but just dirty?

I did have an issue last weekend, after ridding over some bumpy ice it seemed like the float was stuck or something cuz it died as soon as I gave it gas and when I tried to drain the bowl it just kept dumping gas, I got it to idle up with the choke and reved it up to clear the carb out and it seemed to work. (I was on the other side of the lake to proper cleaning was not an option)

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Black plug generally means its running rich. I would take the carb out and see exactly where you stand with jet sizes. Alot of people with HMF pipes also move the clip on the carb needle. I would also get rid of that clamp on air filter. The air box holds the carb steady while ridding. That might be the reason you're having problems with your float. You can get a used air box on ebay cheap.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The carbs are just like anything else. Not too complicated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it normal that when I turn drain plug out that gas just keeps flowing out? I want to stay it should just empty the bowl and stop but it just keeps draining away...does this mean my float is stuck?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts