Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are jumping a quad such as in MX or general riding do you pull the clutch? Is it best to pull the clutch or not? It seems like when I jump I pull the clutch because otherwise I can't match the tire speed to the ground at the landing. This either causes the engine to either almost stall or engine brake. It just seems to me like it could maybe cause the crank to get out of truing if you landed and the RPMS were off enough. Maybe I am just over thinking this too much.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Well if u panic rev you'll lift the front...if u hit the back brake you'll drop the front..most carb quad guys depending on how high they r.. clucth and blip the throttle to keep from stalling in the air.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
When you are jumping a quad such as in MX or general riding do you pull the clutch? Is it best to pull the clutch or not? It seems like when I jump I pull the clutch because otherwise I can't match the tire speed to the ground at the landing. This either causes the engine to either almost stall or engine brake. It just seems to me like it could maybe cause the crank to get out of truing if you landed and the RPMS were off enough. Maybe I am just over thinking this too much.
You are overthinking a LOT...............:D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have never pulled the cluth on a jump. Never had a problem with stalling or motor damage either. On large jumps I want my left hand firmly gripping the bar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hell thats one I dont know. I'll have to pay attention to the next time I just my bike. I thin I just let off the throttle. Just make sure your rear wheels are off the ground before you let off the throttle or you will nose dive it down.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I guess it sounds like I way over think it. It is really nice to be able to have my left hand firmly gripped! Thanks guys.

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
PIN IT TO WIN IT!!! And you'll be alright. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
This is how I jump and it's a relic of the past from decades of jumping two stroke 125 and 250 Yamaha dirt bikes. Once you are at speed in a gear generally higher than 2nd and you hit the bottom of the jump face you have committed; don't disrupt the bikes RPM at that point (chopping the throttle here will cause the nose to drop and your screwed on a quad). Keep the RPM/speed and throttle steady and be prepared to correct the bike once you leave the face if the nose is high. If the nose is up pull the clutch and hit your back break to correct the nose but do this prior to the landing. Be sure you start the rear wheels rolling and let the clutch out as you contact the landing to drive the bike forward on that landing and not create a stall (some racers will downshift one gear just prior to this). Listen to the motor as it's landing and drive out off the jump, remember that driving off the landing (Reving and burn out the clutch) will fix many landing mistakes by pushing the bike forward and out of trouble. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts