Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
waiting for the local park to open once we thaw out here. Ive never ridden on a mx track before. nor have i done much jumping. i have the 07 se with stock suspension. My question is what size jumps can the suspension handle and any other pointers that help staying alive would be much appreciated. unfortunately I ride alot by myself, not to many riders here or guys to learn from. Thanks in advance fellas

·
Registered
227 Posts
what is your weight?

what i did was only hitting the table tops at 1st once i started to clear those i went to bigger jumps i took things really slow and i'm still learning. but after 3-4 track day i bought new suspension (rear spring for my weight - $100 and 09 front shocks $270), once you ride a bike with good suspension on a track you will notice a hell of a difference, you can ride longer and its more forgiving if you hit a jump wrong or at the wrong speed...

i'm 265 i have an 07 with stock suspension it would bottom out a couple times each track day..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is your weight?

what i did was only hitting the table tops at 1st once i started to clear those i went to bigger jumps i took things really slow and i'm still learning. but after 3-4 track day i bought new suspension (rear spring for my weight - $100 and 09 front shocks $270), once you ride a bike with good suspension on a track you will notice a hell of a difference, you can ride longer and its more forgiving if you hit a jump wrong or at the wrong speed...

i'm 265 i have an 07 with stock suspension it would bottom out a couple times each track day..
im about 180. and i guess thats the weight that they set it up for according to the guy i bought it from

·
Registered
26 Posts
The best thing you can do is know your limitation on how well you can ride. Take the practice laps at half speed the first go around to get the feel of the track and try to make mental notes on trouble areas because in the heats and features you will be going alot faster and coming up on those areas with only enough time to commit or back out.

Doubles and harder jumps that take skills will be up to you. I don't know how well you can ride but don't under power the motor on the jump or you will come up short ( case the jump) that will slam you into the bike. If you over gear the jump you will over jump it and come down on the hard side. On my old 2 stroke quads i hit them in 3rd gear alot but that depends on how big the jump is.

There is no bigger rush that droping the gates and blasting out of the hole then it's a blur after that. I'm to old for that nowdays but i get the pictures and trophies out every now and then and show my kids what i used to do lol and then tell them about the broken bones,steetches and doctor bills that go along with it.

The more you do it the better you will get. Good Luck!

·
Registered
227 Posts
im about 180. and i guess thats the weight that they set it up for according to the guy i bought it from

i just noticed you have the 07 "se" version so you should have piggy back shocks on the front... and at 180lbs you might do ok with what you have.

don't worry about the other people on the track they all had to start somewhere. sometimes i'm the only quad out there, all the bikes get pissed cause they have to make a time slot just for me and i'm not even that good. i maybe hit 1/2 of the jumps on the track. but each time i go i amaze myself. the 1st couple times i just sucked. i didn't hit anything, girls were passing me and shit. but i kept trying to get better and soon enough i had the balls to hit some of the jumps. and then it felt good it was like "ahhh, i got it!"

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
The best thing you can do is know your limitation on how well you can ride. Take the practice laps at half speed the first go around to get the feel of the track and try to make mental notes on trouble areas because in the heats and features you will be going alot faster and coming up on those areas with only enough time to commit or back out.

Doubles and harder jumps that take skills will be up to you. I don't know how well you can ride but don't under power the motor on the jump or you will come up short ( case the jump) that will slam you into the bike. If you over gear the jump you will over jump it and come down on the hard side. On my old 2 stroke quads i hit them in 3rd gear alot but that depends on how big the jump is.

There is no bigger rush that droping the gates and blasting out of the hole then it's a blur after that. I'm to old for that nowdays but i get the pictures and trophies out every now and then and show my kids what i used to do lol and then tell them about the broken bones,steetches and doctor bills that go along with it.

The more you do it the better you will get. Good Luck!
Alright Old man, how old are you? :D

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Deep into my 30s and to old to be riding this raptor but it's in my blood. Been riding since i was knee high :D
Holy crap I thought you were old!:D I'm 48 and still ride XC and dirt drags! I've been ridin' since I was 8 and I'll be ridin' till I die, hell my 67 yr. old mother has a "07" Yamaha Big Bear 400 and trail rides with me so your never too old!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Holy crap I thought you were old!:D I'm 48 and still ride XC and dirt drags! I've been ridin' since I was 8 and I'll be ridin' till I die, hell my 67 yr. old mother has a "07" Yamaha Big Bear 400 and trail rides with me so your never too old!:thumbsup:
LOL never judge a screen name by it's cover.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
I'm 51, & have 3 brothers that also ride. Our dad has a 3 mod 700 raptor & he goes everywhere we go at winchester bay. Including all the tree shots. he's been knowin to call us pussy's more then we call him one. MY DADS COOL.:grin_nod: :D ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
waiting for the local park to open once we thaw out here. Ive never ridden on a mx track before. nor have i done much jumping. i have the 07 se with stock suspension. My question is what size jumps can the suspension handle and any other pointers that help staying alive would be much appreciated. unfortunately I ride alot by myself, not to many riders here or guys to learn from. Thanks in advance fellas

I won't call myself a motocross rider but I definately clear all the jumps on the track, and have jumped some insane distances in the sand. The most important thing to know about jumping is throttle control, I always have enough throttle left when Im going up the face of the jump so I can lift the front of the machine off of the jump. A better way to put it is to never let off of throttle at the top of the jump, or you will have an expensive lawn dart. Good Luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Start small and work your way up. Tables are easier, hold your line faster people will go around. If you try get out of the way, you will either cause a wreck or get landed on.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
that gives me soooo much hope for the future :lol:

·
Registered
415 Posts
i hope i can still ride when i'm 80! i will do this aslong as my body lets me. i'm 30 now and already have 19 yrs into it. but lets see my left hand has had 3 broken fingers, nerve damage some left wrist issues and my knees hurt after i ride. now once this all starts to both me when i ride, that is where the problem starts. i refuse to ride one of those 4x4 things. and if i still have my rap, i will not be able to putt it around. no way in hell that a rap should not hit WFOT between turns. :lol:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
The way things are goin I don't think the average guy will be able to afford to ride in 30 years. I'm also afraid recreational riding will be outlawed by then.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Come on up to Canada there is so much wilderness. When everyone has enough of this and that freakin laws and dont ride here dont ride there bull crap start buying some land up here you can get an acre for 500$ some 1000$ and it goes up thats what im doing in 5 years from now im buying about 200 acres should be good and its going to be MX and XC everywhere on it and some place for about 30 rv's and trailers. Come on what you waiting for LOL. Wide open WOOT TIME !!! LOL

·
Registered
415 Posts
yeah this whole tree hugging don't interrupt the mating rituals of the icelandic tree frog that shouldn't even be in the u.s. or your killing the dirt, shit is rediculous. why not stop these damn loggers from completely trashing the areas where they cut down everything in site, and only take half of it. i think that has more to do with the "problem" that is happening then us recreational offroaders. :mad: i mean there are the morons who ride wheelies down the street drunk off there asses with no helmets who do hurt people, but there are more of those idiots driving cars, semi's or school buses than offroad vehicles. they see all the morons on youtube and stereotype the rest of us. ya know i stereotype all those people as the bad parents who spend more time trying to stop offroading, because there kid got severely hurt in an offroad accident, cause they didn't do their "job" of making sure their idiot spoiled little kids wore the correct protective equipment! sue yamaha for making the rhino cause your kid is paralyzed, and killed his friend when he rolled it while trying to do donuts at 45mph on pavement. or they are annoyed by the sound of it. i am annoyed by all my neighbors and their loud asses, but i don't go trying to take away certain drunken assholes voiceboxes, or try to get old straight 6 fords with freakin cherry bombs that don't run right so the moron sits outside and revs the shit out of it for 2 hrs thinking thats gonna fix it deemed illegal. people in this world need to stop the i don't like this or that so i don't want it to happen shit and realize everyone in this world has different likes and interests and the government needs to stop policing our health with child atv bans because they feel they can do a better job of parenting then the people who voted them into office. the world would be a better place if everyone just minded their own business and let everybody else do whatever floats their boat. i might want to start protesting their country clubs for discrimination since i don't fit in because i don't drive a mercedes, and prefer beer over chamagne. my ranting annoys me right now so i think i'm gonna call my congressman and tell him freedom of speech is deminishing the ability of our youth to be brainwashed into believing that everything in the world is dangerous or causes cancer. i can't wait till that damn fault breaks and california can float away and become their own fuckin country and stop bothering the people who try to respect others believes and rights.

ok rant over. touchy subject. :lol:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Come on up to Canada there is so much wilderness. When everyone has enough of this and that freakin laws and dont ride here dont ride there bull crap start buying some land up here you can get an acre for 500$ some 1000$ and it goes up thats what im doing in 5 years from now im buying about 200 acres should be good and its going to be MX and XC everywhere on it and some place for about 30 rv's and trailers. Come on what you waiting for LOL. Wide open WOOT TIME !!! LOL
$500 AN ACRE?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WTF thats cheap as shit! around here land starts at 10k. and thats for a shitty hillside with a cemetary next door. im goin to canada

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
yeah this whole tree hugging don't interrupt the mating rituals of the icelandic tree frog that shouldn't even be in the u.s. or your killing the dirt, shit is rediculous. why not stop these damn loggers from completely trashing the areas where they cut down everything in site, and only take half of it. i think that has more to do with the "problem" that is happening then us recreational offroaders. :mad: i mean there are the morons who ride wheelies down the street drunk off there asses with no helmets who do hurt people, but there are more of those idiots driving cars, semi's or school buses than offroad vehicles. they see all the morons on youtube and stereotype the rest of us. ya know i stereotype all those people as the bad parents who spend more time trying to stop offroading, because there kid got severely hurt in an offroad accident, cause they didn't do their "job" of making sure their idiot spoiled little kids wore the correct protective equipment! sue yamaha for making the rhino cause your kid is paralyzed, and killed his friend when he rolled it while trying to do donuts at 45mph on pavement. or they are annoyed by the sound of it. i am annoyed by all my neighbors and their loud asses, but i don't go trying to take away certain drunken assholes voiceboxes, or try to get old straight 6 fords with freakin cherry bombs that don't run right so the moron sits outside and revs the shit out of it for 2 hrs thinking thats gonna fix it. people in this world need to stop the i don't like this or that so i don't want it to happen shit and realize everyone in this world has different likes and interests and the government needs to stop policing our health with child atv bans because they feel they can do a better job of parenting then the people who voted them into office. the world would be a better place if everyone just minded their own business and let everybody else do whatever floats their boat. i might want to start protesting their country clubs for discrimination since i don't fit in because i don't drive a mercedes, and prefer beer over chamagne. my ranting annoys me right now so i think i'm gonna call my congressman and tell him freedom of speech is deminishing the ability of our youth to be brainwashed into believing that everything in the world is dangerous or causes cancer. i can't wait till that damn fault breaks and california can float away and become their own fuckin country and stop bothering the people who try to respect others believes and rights.

ok rant over. touchy subject. :lol:
i hear ya man. this country is slowly going down hill. i wonder what land costs in australia? you never hear anything out of that country. seems like a peaceful place. i wonder if you can hunt kangaroo?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just be careful jumping too much on the Raptor. The frames are weak at the curved spar
above the foot peg. The frame is cast and hollowed out at that location and I've had a
friend snap his frame 3 times riding moto and I've broke 1 so far desert racing. Now I'm 275lbs... so kinda can understand a little.... but my friend is only 155lbs.! Both bikes are
2006s, so hopefully they changed in later years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts