Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could someone give me a list of things to go over?
check battery...
starter...
I waswonderingif there was a way to test a starter...
also is there anything electronic that might not allow the push button to work? like a regulator or something

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
could someone give me a list of things to go over?
check battery...
starter...
I waswonderingif there was a way to test a starter...
also is there anything electronic that might not allow the push button to work? like a regulator or something
If it doesnt start with the start button, it could be that you dont have the clutch pulled in or it isnt in neutral...........
Does the temp light come on when you push the start button.............

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
WE need more detail related to 'wont start' - what does and doesn't happen? Starter turns over but engine won't fire, etc., etc., etc.

Since you say 'to make push button work' I'm going to assume that the starter does not turn over when you press the start button... IF this is correct, we still need a LOT more info to help:

Does the neutral light come on and stay on when you attempt to start?
Does the temp light come on when you press the start button?
Does the reverse light work when you put bike in reverse?
Do you hear a click when pressing the start button?

That's good for a start (no pun intended).

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok sorry everyone.. i had the battery checked and it was holding a charge but when i went to turn it over it completly loses it charge so battery was bad.. Now i got new battery and had it charged and it started. but now when i try to start it, it wont even crank... The neutral light stays on.. when i turn the key lights up then when i turn the engine switch to run the temp light lights up real quick then turns off... i checked the fuses on the starter relay and they are not broken... could this be a fried starter??

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
So, think to yourself, 'what could have happened between then and now'... and tell us that.

New battery, it did start. Now it doesn't... what's changed?

What light is coming on, briefly, when you slide the run switch from stop to run? None should - so this could be significant.

However, while you hold the starter button down, the Temp light (T) should illuminate; does it?

Again, does the reverse light work when you put bike in reverse?

·
Registered
13 Posts
doubtful that you fried the starter. if it cranked but now wont do anything its probably something simple. Dont think too hard over it just use common sense. Make sure all your connections are good, double check fuses with a meter dont just look at them.

Use a screwdriver and cross over the starter solenoid and see if it cranks, try to narrow down the issue to one thing.

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i used a screwdriver and touched the two nuts on the relay... cranks hard and fast.. before when i had bad battery in and tried jumping it it was a wierd crank then went to dealer and had them test battery and they used one of their batteries and it cranks hard and fast. Bought my new battery and started it up once after the inital charge and it was cranking slow and a wierd rythm.. then now i touched thetwo nuts on the starter relay and it cranks fast and hard... what does this mean that i need a new relay and the old relay was making it crank slow even with a new battery

1 - 12 of 12 Posts