Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my son a 2006 raptor 350, It was very dirty and has been riden for sure, im in the process of cleaning it up. I wanna change oil and filter, what oil should i use and how much? also wheeler smokes for a few minutes when first started then goes away, what would cause that? i did find air filter was very dirty and had a little oil so its probaly been rolled over, any suggestions would be great, thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah, people generally ride these quads really hard. When I bought mine, I thought I got a great deal until I realized that the asshole who owned the machine before me had submerged it..

Unlike your raptor 80, I would run a good oil in the 350. I run Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil in my Raptor 250 and it's been great. I've put quite a few rough hours on the quad since I put the mobil oil in there, and when I check the oil level every now and again it still has that nice golden color like new oil does.

As for oil on the air filter.. The air filter is supposed to have oil on it, thats what really traps all the dirt to the filter. I know my buddy who has a yamaha warrior (90% the same quad as the raptor 350) his air filter (stock filter from 1995, never changed or serviced) was basically sitting in a puddle of oil. (I think yamaha put a little too much oil on it haha).. funny thing was though.. his filter wasn't even dirty. point is, there is supposed to be oil on the filter, so I wouldn't really assume that the guy you bought it from rolled it.)
that "smoking" you see when it starts up, guarantee that it's 100% weather related. Especially in Maine because it's so damn cold up there..

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah, people generally ride these quads really hard. When I bought mine, I thought I got a great deal until I realized that the asshole who owned the machine before me had submerged it..

Unlike your raptor 80, I would run a good oil in the 350. I run Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil in my Raptor 250 and it's been great. I've put quite a few rough hours on the quad since I put the mobil oil in there, and when I check the oil level every now and again it still has that nice golden color like new oil does.

As for oil on the air filter.. The air filter is supposed to have oil on it, thats what really traps all the dirt to the filter. I know my buddy who has a yamaha warrior (90% the same quad as the raptor 350) his air filter (stock filter from 1995, never changed or serviced) was basically sitting in a puddle of oil. (I think yamaha put a little too much oil on it haha).. funny thing was though.. his filter wasn't even dirty. point is, there is supposed to be oil on the filter, so I wouldn't really assume that the guy you bought it from rolled it.
that "smoking" you see when it starts up, guarantee that it's 100% weather related. Especially in Maine because it's so damn cold up there..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The smoking on startup is caused by oil leakage at the valves, nothing to worry about, unless it uses a lot of oil, The oil I used in our Warrior was 10W40 in colder temps and 15W40 in warmer temps, one other word of advice, when purchasing oil, make sure it's not the type that contains friction modifiers, this will destroy the clutch.............

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
If you look for oil that has a JASO MA (motorcycle, wet clutch) rating, you're sure it won't have any modifiers that can cause damage to the clutch... I use Rotella T6 (either regular or synthetic) - both are JASO MA and are available at a reasonable price at Walmart.

I agree with Willy - smoking at startup is usually due to oil leaking past the valve stem seals when the bike is sitting - nothing to be worried about unless it gets significantly worse - which can take many years.

Also, get a filter cleaning/oiling kit for your air filter - specifically for foam if it's a foam filter and K&N if it's a pleated material. The filter must be oiled after cleaning, prior to use, else it performs very poorly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts