Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. The raptor is bone stock and I'm about 260lbs and 6'3. I don't care for drag racing, hill climbs are fun but I'm mostly into trials, jumps, and just generally whipping the bike around.

I plan on doing the big 3 but on my first trip or two I'd like to keep the bike as is to get a feel for it.

For the last couple trips I was on the family Honda 450 with some star something paddles (v shape) and I had absolutely no complaints but I also haven't used something like a hauler in over 10 years.

I'd right now I'm primarily looking for wheel/tire advice but I'd also appreciate some advice on some general modifications that will improve my dune time.

I'm open to anything but I'm leaning towards skat-trak edge paddles but I'm not sure what size to go for or what wheels to go with them. Wheel style doesn't mean much to me but quality does.

I'm really excited to get this raptor in the sand!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Jocaga to revalve and/or respring the stock shocks, night and day, and at your weight, it'll never handle to it's potential without it.
Or spend alot more on Fox or Elka.
Mr.CuervoRacing for lots of things, especially an early-on fan thermostat/turns fan on 20 degrees sooner, cooler engines live longer.
A gearing change is cheap and easy, a -1 or +1 front sprocket makes a big change in power delivery vs rpm.
Get a poly case saver from TMDesignworks, Upp, or Moose, etc, it's cheap insurance.
The dune guys will be along with paddle info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jocaga to revalve and/or respring the stock shocks, night and day, and at your weight, it'll never handle to it's potential without it.
Or spend alot more on Fox or Elka.
Mr.CuervoRacing for lots of things, especially an early-on fan thermostat/turns fan on 20 degrees sooner, cooler engines live longer.
A gearing change is cheap and easy, a -1 or +1 front sprocket makes a big change in power delivery vs rpm.
Get a poly case saver from TMDesignworks, Upp, or Moose, etc, it's cheap insurance.
The dune guys will be along with paddle info.
Thanks for all the advice! Definitely planned on getting suspension tuned to my size as well as hitting up Mr.CuervoRacing for tuning and possible future engine work but I hear they are super backed up at the moment. Also I forgot about the case saver it's definitely on the list

·
Registered
546 Posts
I prefer the V type paddle myself, when sliding/sidehilling they give you much more control than a straight paddle. I would put a Outerwears type prefilter on the top of my list.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am about your size at 6'4" and 230 lbs and i really like my Maxxis 4 snow tires for the dunes.Me and the wife have 2020 raptor 700 SE and we are both using these and they work well on her stock motor and mine that is a 61 HP Cuervo build that runs awesome.The 4 snow does very well at 4 lbs and you dont get beat up on hardpack like a regular straight paddle.We have a few different sets of tires including ultralight 9 paddle and regular 8 paddle haulers and the ultralight does help when drag racing the 4 snow is a great all around sand tire.This information is what works for us on the Oregon dunes so it may not be best for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer the V type paddle myself, when sliding/sidehilling they give you much more control than a straight paddle. I would put a Outerwears type prefilter on the top of my list.
Right on! I don't suppose you know where I can get a set of skat-trak edge tires? They seem out of stock everywhere and I'm hoping to get a set before the 13th of next month

I am about your size at 6'4" and 230 lbs and i really like my Maxxis 4 snow tires for the dunes.Me and the wife have 2020 raptor 700 SE and we are both using these and they work well on her stock motor and mine that is a 61 HP Cuervo build that runs awesome.The 4 snow does very well at 4 lbs and you dont get beat up on hardpack like a regular straight paddle.We have a few different sets of tires including ultralight 9 paddle and regular 8 paddle haulers and the ultralight does help when drag racing the 4 snow is a great all around sand tire.This information is what works for us on the Oregon dunes so it may not be best for you.
I don't know if I put it anywhere in my post but I'm also in the Oregon dunes. I'm trying them all out but I haven't been to some in over 10 years. So far we have been to Winchester and sand lake. On the 13th we are going to Coos bay. So far Winchester is my favorite

·
Registered
546 Posts
Horsfall/Spinreel is by far the largest and the best if you ask me. Have been riding over there since the mid 80's. I personally like to ride out of Spinreel. Less people on that side and nice dunes, also has beach access. The campground has some of the best spots also.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
If you’re after a v-shape paddle, I would order the edges in a 21-12-8 9 paddle. They are not a popular paddle like hauler or extreme so you’ll have to order them. I generally go through sandtoyzunlimited. The itp sand stars are far more popular and readily available, but they’re heavy. As for wheels, you want something pretty lightweight for the dunes. I would do either a Douglas .125 (blue label) or the Douglas a5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you’re after a v-shape paddle, I would order the edges in a 21-12-8 9 paddle. They are not a popular paddle like hauler or extreme so you’ll have to order them. I generally go through sandtoyzunlimited. The itp sand stars are far more popular and readily available, but they’re heavy. As for wheels, you want something pretty lightweight for the dunes. I would do either a Douglas .125 (blue label) or the Douglas a5.
One of my buddies who is generally pretty knowledgeable about ATVs and dunes recommended that I go with 22" paddles and that's what he runs on his raptor but he also went down a tooth on his front sprocket.

Any input on the 22"? I don't really see anyone running anything that big

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
One of my buddies who is generally pretty knowledgeable about ATVs and dunes recommended that I go with 22" paddles and that's what he runs on his raptor but he also went down a tooth on his front sprocket.

Any input on the 22"? I don't really see anyone running anything that big
I run 22-11-8 on both my dune builds. Both are modified far beyond what you’ve mentioned. They would get awfully close to your heel guards. I recommended the 21-11-8 because you’ll get the added floatation of an 8” wheel and a decent rollout without being a tight fit on stock suspension. I would also suggest regardless of the size to get a bead-to-bead buffed tire. It cuts out a bunch of weight, allows for more growth, and doesn’t get too vulnerable.
Don’t forget about front tires, they make a big difference vs the stock knobbies. My preferred duning front would be the skat trak Mohawk in 21-7-10.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha 700R
20 Posts
Hey guys. The raptor is bone stock and I'm about 260lbs and 6'3. I don't care for drag racing, hill climbs are fun but I'm mostly into trials, jumps, and just generally whipping the bike around.

I plan on doing the big 3 but on my first trip or two I'd like to keep the bike as is to get a feel for it.

For the last couple trips I was on the family Honda 450 with some star something paddles (v shape) and I had absolutely no complaints but I also haven't used something like a hauler in over 10 years.

I'd right now I'm primarily looking for wheel/tire advice but I'd also appreciate some advice on some general modifications that will improve my dune time.

I'm open to anything but I'm leaning towards skat-trak edge paddles but I'm not sure what size to go for or what wheels to go with them. Wheel style doesn't mean much to me but quality does.

I'm really excited to get this raptor in the sand!

View attachment 141529
What front bumper are you using ? I'm looking at putting on the HMF Engineering....have you looked at it ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts