Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just bought an 03 Raptor 660 and it is very clean, but I checked the oil cold and there is nothing showing on the dipstick. After reading the posts in here, I realized that you must let the quad warm up a bit before checking, therefore I started the quad and let it idle for about 5 minutes. I then waited a few minutes and checked and there looked to be a little oil splashed on the stick, but when I stuck the dipstick back in (without turning it in) and pulled it out...NOTHING! I have read so many mixed reviews on how to check this and it just seems crazy to me that you cant get an easy and accurate read on the oil level. Is there something aftermarket gauge or something that could resolve this? I have always checked my quads before going riding to make sure all had proper oil and coolant, etc. and this bothers me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah it seems a bit confusing.

I'm not sure about how long to wait though.

The issue seems to be when you let it sit, the oil settles back to the bottom of the engine.

Im new to these as well and dealing with the same issue. Two of my raptors are leaking and burning oil so we have to keep adding oil. I plan on rebuilding them once we get a ride or two out of them to see what other issues they may have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If you just got it, change the oil so you Know how much is in it.
2.3quarts
If you check it hot, oil should overflow.
Since it doesn't, the oil level sounds low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,-I am going to change the oil and measure it which should let me know if it was low. I just think its crazy that there is not an accurate way to measure--I guess once you do an oil change and know that you added 2.3 quarts, you just have to trust that its ok. Scary!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Yes,-I am going to change the oil and measure it which should let me know if it was low. I just think its crazy that there is not an accurate way to measure--I guess once you do an oil change and know that you added 2.3 quarts, you just have to trust that its ok. Scary!
It will show correctly when checked.
Which is why I said yours sounds low...which is very dangerous.

·
Master of the Electron
15,331 Posts
I found that checking cold, it should JUST show on the dipstick - when warm after a minute of delay after shutdown, this successfully showed about full (on MY 660 - yours may vary)

Reactions: Mdwilson2011
1 - 7 of 7 Posts