Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got back a few hours ago from the first trip out to Gordons Well with the Raptor. Here's my report.

This thing dunes great, for being 245 lbs I pulled any and every hill I wanted, on time I ran up a test hill in fourth gear and almost stood it up on its ass on the landing, holy sheeeet I was moving. Its great for carving with all that harnessed power to get you were you want to go.

Every set of whoops I ran I could do fast as crap- great suspension, and kept asking for more.

Ran the Rappy at the sand drags and smoked Honda 450r's easy, YFZ's were a challange, going half for half, with most of the wins with going to riders that were a buck O' five. LTR's were a hard fight, but what I really wanted to do was run a KFX450r (the bike I was going to buy) and what do I see sitting to my left, a new black 450r. Ran him twice and smoke him by at least 4 quads, :grin_nod:

All in all I'm really happy with the bike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I really want to see how one of those KFX450's run.....

So you beat him for 4 bike lengths ? ? ? are you factory.... was he factory...
I just saw one for the first time last weekend.... it was black , with red and grey flames..... it looked freakin nice....

Plattner

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
plattner said:
I really want to see how one of those KFX450's run.....

So you beat him for 4 bike lengths ? ? ? are you factory.... was he factory...
I just saw one for the first time last weekend.... it was black , with red and grey flames..... it looked freakin nice....

Plattner
factory stock to factory stock and I was at least 60 lbs heavier and gave him the go. Those 450s sure do look small compared to other bikes too.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Man I can''t wait to get my rappy to the dunes. Waiting for Memorial day to go to the cinders. These quads are a sweet ride and can do just about anything you need it to.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time. Glad you are happy with the rappy. Got any pics or vids? It is unfortunate that the KFX450 seems to have so many sort comings. I thought I would be buying one soon, but it is not looking that way now. Maybe they will fix it up for next year.

·
Registered
209 Posts
OK, there's no way I'd buy any 450 anyhow, (too damned small!) but I'm curious.
What are some of the KFX450's many shortcomings? I haven't heard much, and it's always good to have some extra ammo for bench racing.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
t_r_h said:
OK, there's no way I'd buy any 450 anyhow, (too damned small!) but I'm curious.
What are some of the KFX450's many shortcomings? I haven't heard much, and it's always good to have some extra ammo for bench racing.
Here are a few I have heard from those on the KFX450 forum that own a KFX450. That really is saying something, because usually when someone plops 7,500 down on a quad it takes them a while to admit there are problems. I planned on getting one for the wife, because they are small and light and have the power to keep up with me in the dunes. They said it would have reverse, be light, and be very powerful with low end grunt.

Most people are complaining that it does not have low end grunt. They are saying that it likes to be run in 3rd and 4th in the higher RPMs. One guy said that it likes to climb in 3rd and 4th, but if you loose power in 4th it is hard to recover to 3rd. From what I have read it is getting beat by pretty much every other 450, but that might be a bit premature. They all seem to agree that it does not have low end and that is a big problem for me. My wife is new to the sport and needs something forgiving and a high revving machine is not going to be forgiving.

That next area that is really lacking is the suspension. One guy said the progressive rear shock seems to sag right past the progressive part of the travel and will only compress about another 4 inches. He said his backend is packing up and bouncing all through the whoops, but this may be something that can be adjusted. The travel leaves much to be desired and the aftermarket stuff that they are talking about making all seems to be focused on MX. I don’t plan to MX, I don’t want long A-arms, and I don’t want to drop 1,700 on new suspension just because the stock suspension sucks. Heck I still kick myself for not waiting for the GYTR Raptor. I don’t plan on making that mistake again.

Then there is the Fuel Injection (FI). A couple of guys said the quad does not fire right up. It has some “knob” for cold starts. WTF, sounds like a carburetor to me… I just find all that strange, because the FI on the Raptor works so slick for me. My Raptor always fires right up hot or cold, and no “knob” to mess with.

I really do think the chassy, engine and tranny have a lot of potential. I think with after market suspension the geometry of the suspension will be great. I also think the engine is corked and with some mods it will probably fly. As far as the FI some re-knob (no pun intended ;) ) at Kawi needs to figure out what they are doing and remove the “knob” and get it working like it should. For 7,399 this bike should be polished and not have all these needed upgrades just to be competitive with other stock bikes.

Like I said before the KFX450 has a lot of potential and I am just hoping that for next year they will unlock that potential in stock form. I will however keep watching the boards and seeing what the owners think and watching what the builders do with it. Who knows maybe I’ll change my mind. I did once say I would NEVER own a Raptor, but that was back in the days of the 660.

Take care and don’t give those KFX450 guys to much shit… I may be one of them, well my wife anyway :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.