Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently traded my arctic cat thundercat 1000 for a 2001 raptor 660r and i've already got a grizzly 700fi eps so this was VERY different from my grizzly.
i was planing on trading it for another sled but after a couple rides on this thing i was hooked.
It only has one problem that i know of and other then that it seems ok.
When i try to start it (electric start) it seems that the starter is turning but the motor doesn't turn over sometimes ,,, it's weird ,,then when finaly the motor turns over with the starter ,she will start up.
Could that be the starter that is starting to go , or could it be be a timing key problem?
thanks for the help guys
Cam

·
Registered
455 Posts
that is the most common thing to go wrong a raptor 660. its your one-way bearing inside your motor on the left hand side. not to bad to fix, you can buy the one-way kit online it wil around 200- 300 bucks for the bearing or the bearing kit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one way starter clutch

ok so this is a common problem on them, when i got the bike about 2 weeks ago it was doing it a little bit but got a little worse every time i tried starting it ,,and this morning , the starter seemed to be working but the motor would turn over once every 15 to 20 seconds then eventually the battery started draining out ,,, i've got the charger on it now but i guess it may need that one way starter clutch ,, what's the name of the kit i need to get and what kind of job am i looking at.
I guess i don't mind spending a few bucks on the raptor to get her going cause i really enjoyed it compared to the heavy grizzly , hehe
thanks for awesome fast response guys ,, much appreciated
Cam

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome info guys

i just went outside and managed to get her started but after reading that " common 660r raptor problems" thread , it's exactly what's happening ,, i hear the grinding noise when trying to start and mostly just turns over but doesn't turn over engine ,,,
awesome info , thanks a million and will most likely get this kit ordered within the next few days,,
from what i read , i should get the 52t gear kit, in case the face of it has worn a bit.
thanks again for the info boys ,,much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I highly recommend getting the gear. I have the Xtreme kit, the L&A is a great one as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll probably get the gear

yeah extreme kit and l&a both look like good kits ,,and from looking at the instructions online on how to take it apart ,it doesn't look like too bad of a job ,, i think in a few hours ,if everything goes well , it should be be done.
Did you have any problems getting it done?

·
Registered
349 Posts
just replying to get the links, thanks, fixing to have to do this too

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
It is the shaft key that clocks the flywheel to the crankshaft... and, yes, it is sometimes referred to as the timing key.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
timing key

the only reason i asked ,is because online(ebay) they sell two different kits ,very similar ,but one has the woodruff (timing) key and i figure for an extra 15$ i might as well get the new timing key instead of using the same one.
thanks a millions
and quad maniac ,,thanks a lot for your "most common raptor 660 problems" thread ,,really really helpful and really easy to follow
awesome to have knowledgeable guys like yourself on this site

1 - 13 of 13 Posts