Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i just bought my first raptor, its an 05 660r se and it was well used. I have done some research and i believe it needs a timing chain as i can here rattling in the top end, and starts and idles easily. Im going to pull the auto cam adjuster and check valves this weekend. I havnt had a chance to go over it real good yet but i noticed it seems to clunk pretty good going from neutral to first, and worse from neutral to 2nd? it does jerk forward a hair as well. I have a drz 400 and that doesnt do it like the raptor does. It goes into reverse and the rest of the gears with no clunking and can find neutral easy. Also the rear brake isnt working, the piece for the e-brake is only on by one bolt and is loose could that be why? the brake pedal can be push all the way down easily. and is plenty brake pads left. im hoping they just need to be bled. Like i said im going to go over it good this weekend but just looking for a little direction.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hello i just bought my first raptor, its an 05 660r se and it was well used. I have done some research and i believe it needs a timing chain as i can here rattling in the top end, and starts and idles easily. Im going to pull the auto cam adjuster and check valves this weekend. I havnt had a chance to go over it real good yet but i noticed it seems to clunk pretty good going from neutral to first, and worse from neutral to 2nd? it does jerk forward a hair as well. I have a drz 400 and that doesnt do it like the raptor does. It goes into reverse and the rest of the gears with no clunking and can find neutral easy. Also the rear brake isnt working, the piece for the e-brake is only on by one bolt and is loose could that be why? the brake pedal can be push all the way down easily. and is plenty brake pads left. im hoping they just need to be bled. Like i said im going to go over it good this weekend but just looking for a little direction.
The bolt can be removed from the e brake without losing brakes...........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah the brakes just had to be bled which was an easy fix. I pulled the auto timing chain adjuster and the plunger had about 4 clicks to being all the way out. Could that still be the reason the engine is noisey? It starts up easy and runs great its just quite loud. Also the clunking i mentioned shifting from neutral, It doesnt clunk hard everytime. In neutral, when i haul in the clutch for a couple seconds and give it a little shot of gas, let it idle back down it will go into gear great with barely a clunk, just enough to know it went into gear. But if i haul the clutch in and just click down to 1st it clunks pretty good and the wheeler jumps forward a little. I cant make it any better with cable adjustments so im thinking its in the clutch itself. The clutch doesnt slip in any gear or shift hard at all and i can find neutral fine. Has anyone else had these symptoms?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
But if i haul the clutch in and just click down to 1st it clunks pretty good and the wheeler jumps forward a little.
It's normal,especially when cold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts