Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new Extreme starter one way bearing ,,and after reinstalling everything ,i tried starting it and it wouldn't even turn over. I remember reading something about the main ground wire that is held in by one of the case cover bolts. Which bolt is it ,,and can i SEE this main ground wire????
any advice would be great
thanks
Cam

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ignition wires

i managed to start it , but it was while i was playing around with the key ignition ,, so i figure i might have some time of problem in that area ,,but what is funny is that even thought there might have been a problem there ,,the green light is one when i have it in neutral ,, so it's weird
?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I just installed my new Extreme starter one way bearing ,,and after reinstalling everything ,i tried starting it and it wouldn't even turn over. I remember reading something about the main ground wire that is held in by one of the case cover bolts. Which bolt is it ,,and can i SEE this main ground wire????
any advice would be great
thanks
Cam
So does the engine even turn over by hand, or is it strictly an electrical problem you have.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure

thanks for the reply willykiller ,,, but i'm still not so sure what the problem is ,,cause while my buddy was continually trying the start button , i was moving the bike around and playing with a few things (brakes, shifter ,wires etc) then i just taped the ignition area and boom ,the starter turned over and she started right up. So i took her for a ride and stopped her 5 or 6 times during the ride and she started up no problem every time ,,,so i know the one way works great,really smooth start up.
But then later the next day on a ride i notice the bike kinda just died for a second while ridding and was fine for a few hours then bam she just dies to a complete stop and i let her take a 10 min break , she started back up no problem,so i was kinda puzzeled,,
so i notice on the way back home she died for a split second again when i went through a nice size water hole and i got a good splash,,,so i don't know yet if water is getting into the carbs or electrical??? but those 2 other times she died for a split second , i was probably going through some water holes ,cause snow is just melting here in the trails and there is lots of water,,,not sure yet, heheh ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that very well could be

i will check it out next time i get a chance on Wednesday,,but if i do have water ,what should i do , just replace the spark plug wire??? but that would make sense the way she acted after i went through a couple water holes.
awesome ,guys ,,thanks
i'll let you know ;)

·
Master of the Electron
15,031 Posts
Your first post said 'it wouldn't turn over'... this is not related to spark plug.

When it won't turn over, check to see if neutral light is on, and check if headlights come on properly. Also check if the reverse light works.

If headlights and neutral won't come on, it's between the key switch and the rest of bike. If they do, but reverse doesn't, it's between the run/stop switch and the CDI.

I'm gonna bet it's a loose connection at the key switch.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i will check it out next time i get a chance on Wednesday,,but if i do have water ,what should i do , just replace the spark plug wire??? but that would make sense the way she acted after i went through a couple water holes.
awesome ,guys ,,thanks
i'll let you know ;)
There is a drain on the right hand side of the engine's head, blow compressed air through this hole, it may be clogged............:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
still not sure

yeah your right ,,my original problem isn't what was happing when i hit a water hole ,, the initial problem after i installed the one way ,was that the starter button wasn't working at all ,but i did have my neutral (green) light and my rear brake light was working as well as my headlight ,,,but the starter wouldn't turn over,,,,eventually after touching a few things, the starter finally turned over and the bike started right up ( haven't had this problem happen again since) ,,but the other problem was when i was going through a water hole , witch i think is something completely different. I thought it might have been related ,but not so sure ,,, i will check out the spark plug wire to make sure no water can get in there (cause that's what it looks like it's doing) cause other then going through those few water holes ,,she ran like a champ ,not one hick up at all ,,, but i will get a chance to look at it a little more tomorrow on my day off

1 - 13 of 13 Posts