Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my buddy just bought a 450x dirtbike, and i figured seein as how my raptor is somewhat modded (barker duals, ehs racing programmer, ehs racing lid, and 15t), that i should be able to beat him in a drag....so we go out to the end of my road, and on a rolling start (in 2nd) i pull away at first, but once i'm almost topped out, he just comes passing by.....so my question is; is there any kinda mod that would help me top end out (i was thinking maybe an dynatek ignition, or a k&n velocity intake?)....i've already got a 15t, and i would think a 16t would be too high

·
Registered
415 Posts
an fci would help. but thats a bike. it weighs half as much as your quad. might as well just take your rap up to an 807 and then throw some nos at it and embarrass the hell out of him. :lol: how long where you racing him? i couldn't even get out of 4th gear in a 300ft drag with my big 3 and a 13t.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we raced for a pretty long distance...i was topped out...i've been chased down by streetbikes who claimed i was running around 90.....so that surprised me to see him pass me like that

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't feel bad. That race was lost before it started. Race him in REVERSE and see how he does.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
you would do better with a 13tooth.

(I know your all laughing right now)

Belive me if you want I don't care but I have did a lot of drag racing with bascily the same build as you (big3).

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
You could also go to TQS ATV and buy a TECH piston/ hot cams stage 3/ and contact DL700 and get your self a 3+TB. (thats what I am gunna do) (550bucks :()

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
Top speed of the bike is way more (over 100mph) than a raptor. I run 15-36 and most 450 will pull me on top end. But I get them in the 300' drag.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This race was kind of lost before it started.. you'd have to have a fully built bike to have a chance at beating him on that 450, those things are pretty crazy stock.. Good luck in the future races! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
13 t is the way to go for dragging and trails. My buddy has a yfz with 480bbk and I absolutly eat him alive in drags

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
You have removed the 5th gear speed limiter, right?

you would do better with a 13tooth.

(I know your all laughing right now)

Belive me if you want I don't care but I have did a lot of drag racing with bascily the same build as you (big3).
If he is beating the guy until he tops out, then a 13t would just hurt him more...the lower tooth sprocket will lower your top speed. Your quad will rev out faster, but will not have as high of a top speed....just like adding smaller tires.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
You have removed the 5th gear speed limiter, right?

If he is beating the guy until he tops out, then a 13t would just hurt him more...the lower tooth sprocket will lower your top speed. Your quad will rev out faster, but will not have as high of a top speed....just like adding smaller tires.
Yes, True BUT he doesn't have the power to hit the rev with the 15 so hes just luggin were if he goes with the 13 he'll get there fastor and have the same top speed.

I have compared with my set up 14VS13 and hand down 13 is killer.
(were do you loose? Gas milage because your motor is turning for RPM)

(this is my theory) :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
yeah, my bf has the same bike but it's the crf450r version. we go riding every single weekend so i'm real familiar with it. i would never even attempt to race him. those bikes are so light that you're going to need a lot more work done

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Lighting you say you race with the 13 tooth up front but what about the rear? I know for me I put the 13 on and have the 37 in the back to help with my 22 tires. But when i had the stock gearing I raced the trx450 and he had me off the line but I caught up with him so how would that effect racing a dirt bike thats half the weight?

·
Registered
415 Posts
geez people. changing sprockets isn't gonna help him. he needs to max that thing out and throw the spray at it to win. they are doing like 1 mile drags. you need to keep your races short, or throw $15,000 at your bike and break the land speed record.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Lighting you say you race with the 13 tooth up front but what about the rear? I know for me I put the 13 on and have the 37 in the back to help with my 22 tires. But when i had the stock gearing I raced the trx450 and he had me off the line but I caught up with him so how would that effect racing a dirt bike thats half the weight?

13/36.. I'm just saying it will help...

If he wants to WIN hes gunna have to go cam/piston/3+TB/stroker/springs.

(just an idea)

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
geez people. changing sprockets isn't gonna help him. he needs to max that thing out and throw the spray at it to win. they are doing like 1 mile drags. you need to keep your races short, or throw $15,000 at your bike and break the land speed record.
What he siad^^^^

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Your right gearing isn't the whole answer but he dosn't wanna have high or low gears so hes at the rev limiter or will never hit top speed cause the motor is lugging. But for a good cheap option is the tech piston and the hc3 which would get him more power but for most guys we will never catch some thing like that.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Ain't no shame in losing to a 450 bike... at least you lined up. Just don't go putting money on it :lol:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts