Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would win in the different kinds of racing? Drag, MX, XC, etc. Which would be better at jumps? trails? And guys, try not to be TOO biased! lol

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Two things I would consider. Available modifications, and reliablility. I don't know anyone who has ever had a positive expereince with a Polaris product other than a Polaris utility bike. I know two people who own 05 and 06 Predators, and they have had their fair share of issues.

In my opinion, the 700 would make a more logical choice. A Predator and Raptor 700 are neither track worthy unless you tweak the suspensions on both. The technology and the new and improved modifications available for the 700 would be a more sound choice.

Just my two cents. If I was buying today, the 700 would be my choice.

~Brian

·
Registered
287 Posts
What about the new Outlaw? That IRS looks pretty bitchin' and TONS of ground clearance with that!

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I ride with a predator and he has never had any problems with his. He has the basic mods, Slip-on , Civic Intake w/K&N and no lid, and rejetted and I have a full exhaust, Pro-tec lid, Pro-Design UNI and a PC lll. In a drag the 700 wins pretty easy and I would give the 700 the nod by a good margin in jumping and trail riding also. I have no idea about MX because have never had mine on a track.

The predator is a good quad and was in the list of 3, I narrowed my choices down to before getting my 700. In the end the seat was uncomfortable to me and my buddy having one kinda took it out of the running. I went with the 700 and am very glad I did.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I poked around one at a dealership when I was looking to get my quad. If memory serves, it has piggyback Fox shocks at all 4 corners.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
ChiknNutz said:
I poked around one at a dealership when I was looking to get my quad. If memory serves, it has piggyback Fox shocks at all 4 corners.
Oh hell, ride it like you stole it right there in front of the salesman!!!

:lol:

~Brian

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
ChiknNutz said:
What about the new Outlaw? That IRS looks pretty bitchin' and TONS of ground clearance with that!
I would definately like to ride one for a day and try it out, but not willing to spend that kind of money to try one.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
The body english is too weird for all independent suspension to really get after it. Its also too heavy. I have seen only one at the local MX tracks and he said its been through 3 engines and 7 trannies in 3 years ::)

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I was home on leave back in March I bought a new 06 700R and took it out to the riding spot where we all ride. Not to many people out there have sport quads but they were having a big event there that day for 4x4 trucks and there was a gang of guys out there with hooked up sport quads. One of the guys had the new Polaris Predator's. I was watching all of them go at it on the drags for awhile since I was still getting used to the Rappy and its power I wasnt sure if I wanted to tackle guys that were riding hooked up 450's with sand tires, pipes filters and all the other hook ups. Well the guy on the Polaris rolled up next to me and asked if I wanted to run him. He said he just bought that and was thinking of getting the 700 but decided on the Polaris but still wanted to see how it ran. So we lined up from a dead stop. My rookie ass dragged the clutch way to much and he pulled on me fairly well through the very choppy dunes. I managed to catch up but still only got to his tail if not just barely past his rear tire as he beat me on the first run. So we turned back and started from a slow roll. I hit the gears alot better this time and pulled on him easy. We almost got to the end when some kids pulled out in a big group in front of me and I had to lock the breaks up and rolled my Rappy a few times. Got up and bent the bars back and wasnt as bad as it looked. Either way though I think if I was a pretty experienced rider and had better starts against him I would have ate him up both times. The first run was horrible for me and I still managed to catch him. So if you had to ask me for my .02 I would give the vote to the 700. Both are great quads though. Later.

Kyle

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
I have both a 2005 TLD predator and a 06 Rappy and hands down in performance the 700 wins however, it will run with most simular outfitted 660's. IMO the suspension on the TLD is far superior to the Rappy Stock for stock. Not to mention that repairing a Predator is way more expensive part for part than the Rappy

Just my observations,

Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have an 07 rapper,totally stock. I weight about 275lbs with ridding gear.I run 22" taller hauler ultralites 10 paddles.My friend has a modified Predator.In a drag race it's not even close,I kick the crap out of him.He's a better rider than me to!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Kind of off the subject but 4-Wheel ATV Action is going to compare the new Polaris Outlaw 525 with the Yamaha Raptor 700r. The Polaris Outlaw is going to have the KTM 525EXC engine which puts the Raptor and the Outlaw weighing in at about 400lbs. Cant wait to see who wins no matter what i will still pick my 700r you just cant beat that reliability.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I rode a guys 500 Outlaw last year. I didn't really notice much about the rear end (but didn't thrash the dudes new bike either), the motor was pretty weak and the seat was hard, that was my 5 minute impression of it. I'm sure the 525 KTM is a much needed improvement but the only thing I would trade my 700R for would be an 804R :grin_nod: its a choice between the big block or the small block. The 525 will need more service also.

·
Registered
314 Posts
my neighbor recently bought a 525KTM. i can tell you with no ego that it was not even a challenge. and that was BEFORE my mods. in fact i just added them a couple days ago

·
Registered
177 Posts
I rode mikes 525 presidants day weekand at sand mountain nevada and it was FAST, I beat countless 700's, but I also weigh 125, idk it was realy fast though, going throught the whoops took a while to get used to tho.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Don't F*ck with Brian. He is one witty mofo. N a baddle of da wits, i'd loose versus him. lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts