Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if I can install a k&n air filter to a completely stock raptor 700 without having to get a fuel controller? Thanks!

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
If you keep the lid on, and just only change the filter type you shouldn't need to run a controller as you are taking in the same ammount of air, now if you change the intake throat (bigger) you will need to get a controller as you'll be running more lean.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ya, you should be ok if you only get the replacement filter with the lid on but like krandall said, if you get any of the kits that run a larger filter ar anything like that then you will probably need a controller.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
it's not worth it in that case, IMO, i'd just get a new stock filter, or clean the one you have, just the K&N with no controller/ intake kit, won't be really worth the $ you invested into it...i'd wait, get the controller, then intake, ditch the lid,and sparky..stick to stock filter for now if you can,...why do you want just the k&N?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
.....I didnt know k&N made a drop in filter? How does it attach to the stock backfire screen? The stock filter has a bolt threw the middle and that how it attaches.....never seen a k&N like that...and if there is, its not going to seal for crap at the throat end!

The only way I am awhare of, comes with the adaptor plate, which is an entire intake system. I would not run an intake on a stock machine with no aftermarket map!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
RAD700R said:
I do, just keep the lid on. The air/fuel mixture would be the same
hmmm, how does it attach?

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
135boom said:
RAD700R said:
I do, just keep the lid on. The air/fuel mixture would be the same
hmmm, how does it attach?
would it be exactly the same? or just close enough not to matter?
cuz with a better air filter there has to be some extra air right/ if not and it doesnt make that big of a differnce untill you get the adapter and lid off, then why waste $ on a aftermarket, especially a k&N that's gonna hit your pocket for a couple dubs?

·
Registered
584 Posts
These things can use a controller even stock. Thats one reason the headpipe glows cherry red.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
yeah i know. the dealer said it was ok if the headers glow it is normal. ive been around race cars for a long time and the only time they glow is when they are being rode hard or running lean..

·
Registered
283 Posts
Stock filter tore in a couple places b/c i cleaned it too much :lol:. I asked my dad to pick up another stock one at the dealer, came home with a k&n. So he mounted it up. In the instructions they said no fuel adjustment is needed to have this blah blah. So as long as you keep the lid on i think i wont make a differnce. So now im 1/3 the way there. One thing i didnt notice till I rode my friends 700 is that mine didnt have as good throttle response, nothing to notcible though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
the first thing i did was put on my B&E, and as RAD700R said i noticed a lack of throttle response right away, it would also hesitate, almost stall if i just pinned the throttle (it was fully warmed up).

·
Registered
584 Posts
Get a controller and it'll fix that.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Blownhotrodder said:

Still wondering how just a k&N attaches to the stock setup? Doesnt make much sense to me? How does it seal at the throat? How does it go onto the stock backfire screen?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I was just wanting to replace the stock filter with a quality one.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i believe k&n makes a direct replacement and of corse the bigger slip ons for more air... i have a blaster that had about the same setup for air filter and i had a k&n for it and it had the screw that went thru the middle of the filter... and also get a controller it will be about night and day diff. from stock.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
135boom said:
Blownhotrodder said:

Still wondering how just a k&N attaches to the stock setup? Doesnt make much sense to me? How does it seal at the throat? How does it go onto the stock backfire screen?
check out k&n's website and look at ya-7006, it comes with an adapter

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
loose nutz said:
135boom said:
Blownhotrodder said:

check out k&n's website and look at ya-7006, it comes with an adapter

Exactly, which has an adaptor, which is essentially an intake!

"Can anyone tell me if I can install a k&n air filter to a completely stock raptor 700 without having to get a fuel controller? Thanks!"
.......this was the original question and anyone that knows what they are talking about WOULD NOT recomend running this without some type of controller! That is going to lean out the machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all....so I got a 2007 700r with lexx slip on and weisco fuel controller....I just added the k and n plate n filter kit...put new spark plug in and went for a ride....plugs gold outside white in center....only went for a 15 min ride but went through all gears n was on it ....ran great def noticible diff but wondering if u guys got advise on what settings to change on fuel controller to get rid of the white center in plug....obviously more fuel but for what settings? All?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Get an AutoTune and learn how to use it, or have it dyno-tuned.
Everything else is just guessing.
Guess too much, and it runs rich.
Guess too lean...and it gets really expensive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts