Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I have discovered that my New K&N Filter has only a 2 1/4 inch inside diameter manifold opening. My friends new GYTR has a 2 5/8 inch inside diameter. That is a 3/8 inch diameter difference which seems like a lot when the 2 filters are inspected side by side. I am sure that the air flow and power could be measured, especially for us who are trying to get every bit of power out of our machines. I am going to try and post a couple of Pics of my findings. I am not happy about having to go buy another filter,,,, but I probably will. Any comments or help would be appreciated. :3question:
The first picture is the K&N, the second is the GYTR --if the pictures turn out correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
I HEAR WHAT YOUR SAYIN BUT [email protected] IS A QUALITY PRODUCT. I WOULD JUST STICK WITH IT. LOL ALTHOUGH NOW THAT I SAW THAT ILL PROB GO BUY THE GYTR.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
It looks like you got the Mod Quad/ K&N filter and adapter :( Look at the sharp edge on the inlet, aside from the smaller diameter the sharp edge at entry kills the flow. The GYT-R has the nice machined radius that creats a venturi effect and increases the velocity it or the proflow filter & adapter are the way to go for the best air flow & velocity. Sorry you had to learn an expensive lesson.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I could see that the venturi had a smooth finish when I inspected them both. And I think I DO remember this topic when I first started my addiction with this forum. K&N sells a lot of filters I am sure BUT It sucks to have learned the expensive way. OH well If we can keep fellow forum members from making this mistake we have done our job. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
596 Posts
RIGHT ON MY :thumbsup: :thumbsup:....HI MY NAMES JEFF AND IM A RAPTOR FORUM ADDICT :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any directions to buy a reasonably priced GYTR setup? On the brighter side, We had a Fantastic day of riding on the Oregon Dunes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I WOULD SAY BEST BET WOULD BE EBAY

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any guess's as to how many horse power gain/Loss between these 2 filters with a dual exhaust and PC111 ??

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
digitalhearing said:
Any guess's as to how many horse power gain/Loss between these 2 filters with a dual exhaust and PC111 ??
Very very little. In my opinion its not worth your time or money to swap out for another filter. We ran a dyno test on two different intake kits for cars, one beign about .5 inches bigger and there was a 1hp increase. If you have money to blow then I guess why not but I dont think its worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks PILE0g0, that yamaha website price seems fair at $79.42 for the filter and adapter. It will be worth the piece of mind knowing I have the most airflow available AND even 1 HP gain is a nice-longterm-dependable improvement (at that price). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Glad I could help. Those guys have the best advertised prices I have seen. Not into haggling for a better price, so I bookmarked them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
THAT 79.42 WAS THAT FOR THE GYTR SETUP.....I COULDNT FIND IT LAST NIGHT

·
Registered
596 Posts
im sorry i didnt know it bothered you

·
Registered
596 Posts
didnt take it that way at all... :thumbsup: