Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just got a new KFX 450 and all I have to say is, Great job Kawasaki!! :thumbsup: Power is up there with any of the other 450s. The FI motor runs smooth, Smoother than my Raptor has ever been. Something funny about the FI is the fact that there is a "choke". Its not your typical choke where you can very the amount of choke. This is just on or off.

Onto the ride. When I first got on it, it felt better then the Yamaha 450. It comes with Renthal bars, so Im sure that helped the "feel" of it. This machine feels nice and tight. Very well planted in the turns, And very responsive to any comand you give it. No delay. It really lets you feel like you are in 100% control. Shocks are just as good, if not better then anything in its class. Fully adjustable.

The engine. What can I say. We all know that FI is the best way to go, in terms of smooth power. Power is nice all over the rev range. It felt good down low, but not close to the 700s low end. The engine looks square, With only one exhaust outlet. I sure the engine would breath and rev a ton better with the 3 mods, and pull harder once it is all broke in. It did seem slow to rev but, it has been some time since I rode a completely stock, not broke in, bike.


Drag race. Me: 06 Raptor 700 LTE duels, Dual foam air filter (no lid), Power Commander, 15 tooth, (Raptor Randy map 2% richer), and stock tires. 145 lbs. Him: 08 KFX 450R 100% stock. Not really broke in yet. 175ish +/- 10 lbs. We were even until 4th gear were I pulled away. With my light weight and stock tires I would get alot of spin. If we raced on a paved surface I think I would have him all the way. I think it will be a close race after he 3mods his. Top end I have him no doubt, with the 15 tooth. Im sure the KFX is more geared for X-cross racing, not drag racing. Anyway by the middle of 5th I was a good 5-6 quads a head. We switch bikes and I had closed the gap to about 4-5 Quads


So all the other 450 better start to look over their shoulders.


http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=211 For the factory hype and pics.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
17,061 Posts
Great info daytonaman, I'm looking forward to seeing some of these around my neck of the woods soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
We saw a guy with a new one today at our riding spot. Very good looking bike, we watched him ride on the mx track for awhile. Its sweet but compared to the ltr450 its seemed alittle tall, its definatly more of a trail bike and not the mx'er like the ltr.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
17,061 Posts
Blownhotrodder said:
We saw a guy with a new one today at our riding spot. Very good looking bike, we watched him ride on the mx track for awhile. Its sweet but compared to the ltr450 its seemed alittle tall, its definatly more of a trail bike and not the mx'er like the ltr.
According to their respective website specifications even with the 20" rear tires on the KFX vs 18" on the LTR the KFX is only .2 inches taller at the seat and actually .8 inches shorter at the handlebars. The LTR is 3 inches wider though which makes it look lower; and it's impossible to tell how the rider had the suspension setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
It's a nice looking bike. But it's very small imo. With my height at 6'4", I look totally out of place on it. I hear the Can-Am 450 race bike will be a hot ticket. Knowing BRP, they go all out with whatever they bring out. I'm sure it will turn heads too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
You should have eaten the KFX's lunch on your modified 700. I saw some at the bike shops this weekend and they do look cool but they wanted over 8k. :lol: I would rather have a YFZ for allot cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,279 Posts
Now i'm not sure but someone told me that suzuki owns kawasiki or the other way around. Anyone know for sure? If so I bet its the ltr 450 engine in the new kawasaki.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
The Z400 engine is used in the KFX400 and DVX400's. Other than that they arent affiliated but you never know. I do know that Kawasaki is GM owned. I dont remember where I read that but now the Chevy and Kawi co-sponsorship makes more sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
socalrappy700 said:
Now i'm not sure but someone told me that suzuki owns kawasiki or the other way around. Anyone know for sure? If so I bet its the ltr 450 engine in the new kawasaki.
they had a deal with sharing bikes and quads for a few years thats why the ltz400/kfx400 were the same other then color and the dvx400 is an AC but AC gets thier stuff from suzuki so the dvx400 is the same has the ltz 400 other then plastics really but that has stoped the they are now making bikes and quads on thier own other then AC and suzuki they still make the ltz400 and the dvx 400 together but suzuki and kawasiki went thier own ways now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,138 Posts
Nice looking bike.
Think at 6'5" & 255lb, & broke, I'll be sticking with the rappy for some time.
But would love to have a Kawasaki quad, cos we are Kawasaki Robotics agents.
Would be cool to have a bike from the same company
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
dragonz said:
Nice looking bike.
Think at 6'5" & 255lb, & broke, I'll be sticking with the rappy for some time.
But would love to have a Kawasaki quad, cos we are Kawasaki Robotics agents.
Would be cool to have a bike from the same company
at least you would know how to fix it when it breaks then :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,138 Posts
AJ RAPTOR said:
dragonz said:
Nice looking bike.
Think at 6'5" & 255lb, & broke, I'll be sticking with the rappy for some time.
But would love to have a Kawasaki quad, cos we are Kawasaki Robotics agents.
Would be cool to have a bike from the same company
at least you would know how to fix it when it breaks then :p
The technology is a little different, but I figure I can fix anything mechanical!

My old man reconed I was born able to pull things apart, I always wanted to know how things worked.
He said it took 18 years for me to learn how to put things back together :lol:
He must have been pretty happy with what I figured out, cos he's let me re-build motors from a couple of his cars since!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BadRap said:
You should have eaten the KFX's lunch on your modified 700. I saw some at the bike shops this weekend and they do look cool but they wanted over 8k. :lol: I would rather have a YFZ for allot cheaper.

Yeah with all the wheel spin it doesnt help. Like I said if we were on a paved surface I think I could have him from start to finish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
kawasaki 2nd choiece :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top