Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so yesterday we were out for our usual sunday blast and three or four times through the day I dropped into reveres when down shifting. I have the DR D reverse lever. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this or what is going wrong. I am defiantely not accidentally hitting the lever. Its only by downshifting. I am worried I am going rip out the tranny. PLEASE HELP>>>>me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind would be the cable. I would check the adjustment on it first. Make sure it hasn't shortened up on ya some how. Other than that sombody smarter than me going to have to help ya. ;) Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
DrDsRaptor said:
Okay so yesterday we were out for our usual sunday blast and three or four times through the day I dropped into reveres when down shifting. I have the DR D reverse lever. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this or what is going wrong. I am defiantely not accidentally hitting the lever. Its only by downshifting. I am worried I am going rip out the tranny. PLEASE HELP>>>>me

This is a very common problem with the DR. D rev lever. Try useing the search button! this has been talked about several times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Ok so i dont have the reverse lever but i know i seen it on here several times. I just now did a search and found what the problem is and how to fix it. The problem is there is not enough slack/freeplay in the cable. The cable when hooked up is to tight and is always pulling on the cable. The way to fix it is to bend the tap on the frame that the cable goes threw right before it hooks up to the engine. If you bend this tab closer to the engine/trans the cable will now lossen up a bit and you will have enough freeplay to keep it from pulling you into reverse.
Heres a link for the install of the cable. But toward the bottom 2 sentences before "Summary" it talks about not having enough freeplay in the cable and how they fixed it. Also the last 2 pics that they have there shows the tab and them bending it. Hope this helps. JIM

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=191556
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,938 Posts
The samething happen to me. All its the connection at the crankcase. If you look at your quad look under the front sprocket. theres two black connectors. Ones for neutral and ones for reverse. Take one off at a time and clean the post with a rag. Whats happening is the connection is getting dirty and the motor starts to retard the timing thats why your losing power. Like i said this is what i did and it worked. let me know if this worked. WOODY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
W69DY said:
The samething happen to me. All its the connection at the crankcase. If you look at your quad look under the front sprocket. theres two black connectors. Ones for neutral and ones for reverse. Take one off at a time and clean the post with a rag. Whats happening is the connection is getting dirty and the motor starts to retard the timing thats why your losing power. Like i said this is what i did and it worked. let me know if this worked. WOODY
Im not really sure what your talking about here. His problem is the bike keeps shifting into reverse. Going into reverse is all mechanical and nothing to do electrical. No sensors or wire put it into reverse. Also no where does he complain of of losing power as you stated with the retarded timming. Please re read his post and see if you still think he has a electrical problem. Thanks JIM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
This is a little off topic.... but I bought my raptor used and have never put it in reverse. How do you do it? :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,851 Posts
onelunglow said:
This is a little off topic.... but I bought my raptor used and have never put it in reverse. How do you do it? :crazy:
put in first holding in the clutch... Turn Reverse knob. hold it.. and click shifter down.. should be in reverse... to get out.. shift up.. and your back in first :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
onelunglow said:
This is a little off topic.... but I bought my raptor used and have never put it in reverse. How do you do it? :crazy:
How do you post so many times, but never put your raptor in reverse :3question: While down shifting turn the little switch on the right fender and shift down again past first... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,851 Posts
1FastRaptorSE said:
onelunglow said:
This is a little off topic.... but I bought my raptor used and have never put it in reverse. How do you do it? :crazy:
How do you post so many times, but never put your raptor in reverse :3question: While down shifting turn the little switch on the right fender and shift down again past first... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
beat ya :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
Thanks for the replies... :crazy: You guys were mild in the flaming category! :p So far I have only road my Raptor in the sand... No need for reverse, yet!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
onelunglow said:
You guys were mild in the flaming category! :p
Yea... Your right I think we can do better, but i think you got off easy do to the fact you sneeked that question in to a post already started. I dare you to start a new thread and see what happens. LOL :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Look at the reverse lever on the engine the cable might have sliped out of its holder(where the end of the cable is)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top