Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Heard of It, Havent been there.
I checked it out on dunereview.com To bad 2/3rds is closed for WSA.

Robe

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does BLM patrol this place? Is water Available? The roads in are they dirt or paved?

Robe

·
Registered
868 Posts
From what I know BLM isnt there much but there are some restricted areas. There are some ponds in the early summer but thats all for water. Not for sure if there is any at the main camping area but there are a couple of bathrooms. Road is 28 miles of dirt/washboard. You have to be careful riding out there since there are pipelines and rigs everywhere and it is hard to see the way the sand runs/flows since it is light in color, especially around noon time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water is nill for drinking and the road in is rough but the dunes are great and you get them all to yourself so you can't beat that! If you go in july or august bring something for shade cause there is no trees or cover. They don't compare to St. Anthonys but you can ride all day and have little interferance.

·
Registered
389 Posts
ROBE said:
Heard of It, Havent been there.
I checked it out on dunereview.com To bad 2/3rds is closed for WSA.

Robe
Only seen pics online, sounds pretty cramped! If they would open more of it up I would be there in a hearbeat!

Are there good size dunes?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Its not as big as LS or St. A but definitely worth going!! There is about 30,000 acres and you can ride on about 11,500. I rode all day long with a full parking lot and saw nobody except for the racing hills. I haven't been to LS or St. A yet to compare it to KP but there are razorbacks everywhere and they are the most active dunes in north america so they are always changing.

If you want to see cramped, come to my sandbox. :lol: It's only 900 acres but a place to ride thats not 5 hours away. Only takes me 2 hours to get to where I ride.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Killpecker was the last set of big dunes we went to last year. worth the trip :thumbsup:. at the time we lived in ks so it was a pretty good trip but was worth it. they do have camping, the road to get there was badly washboarded. talked to some locals and was told it was never packed even on holiday's. i would say maybe thirty trucks in the camping site and that was memorial day weekend. with the acres available you hardly saw anybody. i have some pics i can post if u want. its not ls, utah or st. anthony but its fun. if they would just do something with the access road it would be perfect.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been to killpecker a handful of times it’s awesome, I think. But I haven’t been to any dunes other than Walden and I hate that place to many people. About 13,000 acres of rideable dunes! Primitive camping just a couple outhouses but there are 3 different places to camp I think, so all kinds of room for people. It’s more packed on holidays than normal but if you go on a non-holiday weekend you will have the whole place to yourself! It’s great. :thumbsup: their are a group of us going up mem. day weekend about 9 of us I think. 2 bikes 5 rappeys an outlaw and a 4x4 we are planning on 23rd to the 26th! Maybe we will see some of you out their!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts