Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I don't have the space for a trailer or second vehicle, so i need to get one that I can haul the Raptor in, but i dont really want a pickup/van as my only vehicle. Right now im renting u-haul trailers. Anyone know the inside dimensions of some of the bigger full-size SUVs and if a Raptor will fit inside?

I was looking at an Avalanche, and it looks like they have about a 50inch wide bed which i guess would work, but i dont know if its deep enough to close the back to allow for a bike rack off the tow hitch. Also, the next thing i'd like to do is put +2 or +3 a-arms/axle.

thanks for any info

·
Registered
287 Posts
biggest I can think of is a ford excursion. its plenty deep but I doubt its tall enough.
If its only a single quad I would look around in the newws paper and get a small trailer.
And if space is an issue I bet you could stand a small one up on end.

·
Registered
623 Posts
be careful how small of a trailer you get. alot of them will fry bearings quick at any rate of speed/distance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 10" tires are a big problem when travelling on the highway. If you can mount larger tires on a small trailer like that you should be golden.

·
Registered
623 Posts
bigger tire doesnt help the bearings spin any slower though.

we tried the larger tires, and still fried bearings after 20 miles @ 55 mph. depends on how far/fast your traveling. this was with the 200-300 dollar 8 foot harbor freight trailer. pretty sure they are all the same though.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My neighbor has that exact same HF trailer. It matches his F-150 perfect and was a good buy for the $. The only problem is the BS in getting it licensed..... it is treated like a homemade trailer here in PA and he told me that if he had known that he would have made one himself. I guess the extra few hundred you pay at HD goes towards something.....
He's used it once to take his ATV a couple blocks to the car wash ::)

I think you will be hard pressed to find a SUV you can get an ATV into. They all seem to narrow by the rear doors too much for all the room you have inside. You may have the room inside, but getting it there is where you will have the problem. Just guessing.
What about towing the ATV like you see motor homes towing small cars, with the front tires off the ground? Would that be too hard on the quad if you took the chain off? How far are you going to be towing?

·
Registered
767 Posts
281pony said:
Of course it does. :crazy: Most of the cheapie trailers come with junk chinese bearings, remove these and have an auto parts, or bearing place match them with a quality bearing/seal combo from SKF, CR, etc. Also don't forget that maintenance and type of grease is very important in bearing life.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm not sure which one he bought but a buddy of mine bought I think it was a HF one that folded in half like a ping pong tabel and casters on it to roll it around and its worked great. He's pulled it back and forth from vegas to salt lake a couple of times and I borrowed it to take it up to saint anthony's 2hr and sand mt 2 hr drive both times doing 65 -70 and its never had any problems.

·
Registered
767 Posts
GuamRaptor700 said:
I'm not sure which one he bought but a buddy of mine bought I think it was a HF one that folded in half like a ping pong tabel and casters on it to roll it around and its worked great. He's pulled it back and forth from vegas to salt lake a couple of times and I borrowed it to take it up to saint anthony's 2hr and sand mt 2 hr drive both times doing 65 -70 and its never had any problems.
That's the exact trailer that mine is, no problems at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had an Avalanche for while, I only traded it in cause I got a 5th wheel that it couldn't even touch. My Grizzly would fit with some work, that was because the fenders would rub on parts of the bed rails. My Kodiak 450 fit in there with room to spare, I could get my ramps in with the Kodiak loaded but the tailgate had to stay open, unless you want to have the front of the Raptor in the truck you could close the tailgate.

·
Registered
287 Posts
heres another thought. I saw a guy with one of these in Pismo a month or two ago he had it attached to he trailer but I supose you could hook it up to one of the larger suv's like an excursion or suburban.

I don't have any pics..... but it was a rack that conected to the reciever hitch kind of like the ones you see for bikes or for large coolers when you need extra storage. never thought it would work till I saw this guy do it.

he rack itself was pretty beffy. it alowed the quad to set flat and might have even pivited to alow you to drive onto it.

the only problem I can think of with this setup would be how strong you hitch is andhow mich it would make your suv squat (ground clerance wise, like if you pulled into a steep driveway)

just a thought.

·
Registered
554 Posts
This is what RaptorDlux is talking about. I have seen these too and look pretty slick.

Here is a link to that website, it is about halfway down. (RV700 ATV rack) http://www.hitchcorner.com/atv-racks.htm

It holds 700 lbs, tilts up and tilts to load.. With the Raptor coming in a little over 400 lbs it should carry it easily. It will just slide in the corner of a garage when not in use.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
GuamRaptor700 said:
I did see a pic one time where a guy had gotten his yfz in his suv by taking the tires and handle bars off
Must've been a neat trick getting it out without tires.

There's a guy around here who hauls his yfz or 250R (either or, not both) around in a full size 1/2 ton van. He even keeps the handlebars on, just rotates them down on the clamp.

The hitch hauls just seem like a bad idea to me. Nice concept and works well with mx bikes but the extra weight and size of an atv result in huge increases in weight and size in the hitch haul. Not to mention that a typical class IV hitch, which is what the vast majority of full size suv owners have, is only rated for around 600 pounds of tongue weight. You'd need a class V hitch to haul that thing's capacity, and they aren't even made for anything but the larger (at least 1/2 up to 1 ton) full size suvs and pickups.

I'd go with the collapseable trailer, the people who I've talked to about them have been happy with them for the price and design.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Diddly said:
281pony said:
Of course it does. :crazy: Most of the cheapie trailers come with junk chinese bearings, remove these and have an auto parts, or bearing place match them with a quality bearing/seal combo from SKF, CR, etc. Also don't forget that maintenance and type of grease is very important in bearing life.
Just exactly what I was gonna say!

·
Registered
623 Posts
worded that wrong before i went to sleep.

of course they spin slower, but we went from the 8" to 10". made no difference, switched bearings twice to better grade. never got more then 20 miles at highway speeds. maybe we got a bad trailer? just wanted to give a heads up on the cheap trailers. havent had good experiences with it. well i should say my friends trailer.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
AK Grizz said:
I had an Avalanche for while, I only traded it in cause I got a 5th wheel that it couldn't even touch. My Grizzly would fit with some work, that was because the fenders would rub on parts of the bed rails. My Kodiak 450 fit in there with room to spare, I could get my ramps in with the Kodiak loaded but the tailgate had to stay open, unless you want to have the front of the Raptor in the truck you could close the tailgate.
Ok sorry if I'm retarded but would a 700 raptor fit inside a Avalanche with the back wall up??? Because my dealership has one they want me to look at.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 51 Posts