Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally sold my warrior and want a 4wd.. I am torn between 2 right now.. first, is an 03 big bear 400. It was involved in the recent flooding however, the motor will start just fine if hotwired.. the guy is having the electrical issues looked at right now. And says he will sell it to me for $1000.

Next is a 96 kodiak 400. New tires, and a 2500# winch. Guy who bought my warrior has that for sale. Says it runs excellent. Wants $1400 for that..

What I am looking for is a 4wd that can carry me and my wife with ease, think 375# between us. Also, I want to be able to plow my driveway too. Speed makes no difference. I want something that isn't going to be a celebrity at the local yamaha dealer. Reverse is a must. And I hate getting stuck, so on those muddy poker runs, I don't want to be embarrassed. What do u think. The $1000 03 big bear that was in a flood, or the $1400 kodiak with a winch and new tires?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would say the Kodiak. New tires would help plow the best. I have plowed with a 400 Kodiak before and it worked well. Not the most nimble but I think it was decent. Sounds like the big bear will be a headache in a few years too.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I would say the Kodiak too just because of the flood issue. I have an 08 Big Bear that will plow anything I put in front of the 60" blade and love it but based on the flood info I'd go with the Kodiak

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gave a $500 deposit on the kodiak today... i have a few questions tho.. i did drive it. it started up fine. ran fine. i need to get used to the hi/lo AND shifting gears. the rear brake handle seemed a little squishy.. may need to bleed it and/or adjust it. now, someone PLEASE tell me about a jet kit.. easy/hard install? is it better off letting the shop do it? how about exhaust slip ons?? what kind of headlight bulbs does it take?

best of all, i need a plow. it doesnt have a mount, but it DOES have a winch. where is the best place and price to get a plow mount and plow? i saw some on ebay for $370 for the kit including mount, push tube, and plow. i would prefer a plow that angles, but the overall price will make the decision

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I'm not very mechanically inclined and I managed to put a jet kit in my Big Bear. Wasn't that difficult just be careful not to strip screws. I have an HMF slip on on mine too but didn't really notice a power increase, just more noise.

I have a Warn front mount plow, got it on ebay when they were offering a mail in rebate with plow purchases. The issue with a Warn front mount plow which I found out the hard way is you need to have a Warn winch. I had a Gorilla winch and it was too wide to fit between the front mount. Most plows do angle but require you to get off the quad to adjust it. You may want to check Rocky Mountain ATV for a plow, last season they had Tusk plows for a decent price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts