Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 01 raptor and the back fenders are white and really scratched up and the scratches hold dirt like a motherf***er and it always looks like [email protected] And i heard about krylon plastic paint and that its supposidly durable. wondering if anyone had done it or has any ideas on doing it. ANd if so what should i do before painting it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know about the krylon paint but there is a kit you can buy called "plastic renew" made specifically for scratches on atvs and motorcycles. I've seen it for about $20 at the local motorcycle shop. I bought but haven't got around to using it yet. I have the same prob, 05 white raptor with dirty scratches. I agree it looks like crap :mad:

I'll try it out pretty soon here and post the results. I know its a process of using very fine sand paper to buff out the scratches, the applying this liquid that is supposed to then smooth it out. We'll see what happens. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kool that would be the shit :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ive used krylon plastic paint of some car parts before, and it doesnt turn out too impressive. Not something you would want to use on a whole quads plastics.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
i painted a white dirtbike white once with that stuff and it looked like sheeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttt. it wont give that glossy shine like the stock palstics do and completly changes the look of the bike. leave the scratches or buy new plastics. i think i got a picture, ill look

·
Registered
21 Posts
did you paint it with the krylon or the plastic renew? :3question:

·
Registered
137 Posts
plastic renew is not a paint it is more of a lightweight filler, if you use the krylon it will look like shit and chances are depending on what type of ryding you do for instance trails it will need another coat after every ride so if you want to use the renew go for it if that doesn't work look at some aftermarket plastics not oem, no difference just a bit cheaper than oem, good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
try some degreaser. my buddy has the white raptor and he uses strait degreaser and wipes it out of the scratches in the plastics. He does it after every time he rides. When he first did it, it made a world of difference

·
Registered
210 Posts
05rapinsac said:
I don't know about the krylon paint but there is a kit you can buy called "plastic renew" made specifically for scratches on atvs and motorcycles. I've seen it for about $20 at the local motorcycle shop.
Plastic Renew works great provided you prep the plastic(it's very labor intensive) real good. It definately makes the plastic look new again. It's only downfall is that the results are very temporary. Anything, like fuel spillage, strips it right back off. It's a PIA. I'd only recommend using the stuff when selling an ATV.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I used Krylon Fusion to paint my 50's plastics. It well up fairly well, but it looked like shit when I scratched them from wrecks.

My suggestions..

a. - Degrease with something. I cleaned the plastics really good with rubbing alcohol.

b. - I wet sanded the plastics with a high grit sand paper. Like an 800 grit or more.

c. - Cleaned the sanded areas with water then rubbing alcohol again.

d - Paint and allow atleast 7 days or so to dry.

I was impressed with how well it held up really. I wrecked it many of times on concrete and it really held up fairly well considering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use a product made by Pro Honda that does a great job of cleaning the dirt out of the scratches. It is called Spray Cleaner and Polish. I used to use it on my street bike. It can be used on most all surfaces. Should be able to find it at any Honda dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts