Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems starting my quad... the quad would crank but very slowly. Not showing symptoms of a bad one way bearing but i already changed the battery, went thru 3 selonoids, cleaned my starter and bench tested it, final assumption was the chek the one way. I've done research and figured L&A would be the best bang for the buck...
Pulled the stator cover off popped the fly wheel off, and PING!!! Bits and pieces came flying all over, in the pics you can see the pieces that came out, Compared my new L&A one way bearing to the old one that was on there... IDENTICAL, i couldnt believe it. BROKEN L&A part???? YEP

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also another pic of the broken springs and f-ed up roller bearing, and the bolts from the american made flywheel puller Holy Sh-t! The thread got ripped right off, i thought my Magneto was done for but the threads from the bolt came right out

Attachments

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Only two likely scenarios - a bad L&A (every company has a failure occasionally) or the P/O put on a new one-way without replacing a marginal 52T gear, and the rough face on the gear's sprag race damaged the L&A - this is why we recommend replacing both at the same time.

No way of telling which is at fault, since you didn't install it yourself.

We also recommend buying hardened bolts instead of using the stockers that come with the puller.

And yeah, those big bottles of Loctite are expensive!

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hardened bolts? Does L&A sell them?? i already installed everything and was expecting to make a trip to my dealer to buy a new 52T gear but... It looks spiffin' new! i was glad since they wanted to charge 140$ and half of the people on ebay are selling used ones and implying that "this gear will fit all models of yamaha raptor 660s" WHATTTTT! come on!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
That sucks for sure. Did you get a new 52 tooth gear? That is a big bottle of loctite, Got lucky a couple weeks ago and got some red loctite gel for $5 each on clearance:metal: Bough them all:lol:

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn loctite i bought that kind because on front it said improved oil tolerance and removable grade... other stuff for cheap but when i saw that i stood in that aisle looking at each and every one trying to compare the red stuff.
Im gonna wait a day allow that loctite to cure then test it to see if that solves the problem...
Oh yeah QuadManiac... The quad's been acting up and im assuming its the reverse rev limiter.. is there any way to reset the system instead of cutting and splicing wires like you were saying in that sticky... like taking the neg. terminal off the battery to reset the rev limiter??

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What components are in the decomp? is it a spring system or??? What would you do to rebuild or whatever you would do to fix a decompression system? This is my first 4-stroke motor..

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Some times the pin in the cam that releases the pressure gets wore down. Also the rocker arm can get notched to and not release the pressure. Might have to tear into before you can order parts.

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just searching the forum for decompression and read that the pin may get worn down but..
The rocker arms.. is that what sits on top of the valves??
So basically just start taking apart the valve cover and check all the parts for wear and scratches?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
pin is sold separately I think. Rocker rides on the cam and pivots on the rocker shaft pushing down the valve. The pad on the rocker arm can also wear at where the pin comes out of the cam.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Take a look at the one wide exhaust rocker arm pad and the decomp pin in the cam. If the pin isn't round on the exposed end and the exhaust rocker arm pad is grooved, you most likely have found the problem....... Z.

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If my pin is worn down, i would have to take the timing chain off the sprocket and remove the cam shaft to pull a shaft out (which the pin sits on the end of)
Im looking thru the yamaha shop manual and its not very descriptive.. im looking at motosport's blow up diagram of the camshaft...helps me get a little more perspective
http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/YAMAHA/2005/RAPTOR-660/CAMSHAFT-CHAIN

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If my pin is worn down, i would have to take the timing chain off the sprocket and remove the cam shaft to pull a shaft out (which the pin sits on the end of)
Im looking thru the yamaha shop manual and its not very descriptive.. im looking at motosport's blow up diagram of the camshaft...helps me get a little more perspective
http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/YAMAHA/2005/RAPTOR-660/CAMSHAFT-CHAIN
Yes you are right. There is also a small spring on the decomp pin........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts