Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have owned my Raptor now for about two years with it being in the shop most of that time.... I had a bad mechanic screw me over on engine work, and had to put it back together myself... When I first bought it I replaced the starter bearing with a L A one way, It might have aprox 120 riding hrs on it with a maybe a hundred and fifty cranks on it.. About 3 months ago I went to start it and it slipped then went all the way out.... I finally had time to pull it apart when It came apart it fell apart all the bearings, and springs went every where... I was planning on possibly rebuilding it but the houseing has small cracks all around it.. The gear the bearing rides on is perfect... Well anyways does anyone know of a better one way that will last longer and stand behind their product if it fails??? I called ripper and they act like they cant help me and with a two hundred dollar price tag I just hate to buy another one just to see it fail again..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mods are 102mm bore, 11:1 comp wesico, stage two hot cam, ported and polished head with +1 valves ferrea, pro circuit full pipe and muffler, bigger oil tank. The mechanic said that he already jetted the carbs for my set up, but as soon as I get up and running again there is a local dyno shop that has the airfuel ratio set up to help my dial this thing in...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
ive herd its possible for them to fail in high compression applications, harder for starter to crank motor, more stress. but 11:1 shouldnt be a problem. 14:1 + I would imagine could be a problem

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
L&A is very good about taking care of their customers, you should contact them directly.

There is nothing out there better than the L&A, OEM, L&A and L&L are the only choices.

·
Registered
733 Posts
That's amazing having a L$A fail that soon. Huh, maybe a factory defect on that particular one. Like Maddog said give em a call. My stocker 1way is about to go so I'll be calling them soon as well :lol:

Hope you get the problem fixed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here are some pixs of the L&A one way that failed.... After many attempts to contact ripper racing where I bought it from I stumbled upon a company by the name of http://www.raptorstarterclutch.com/index.htm that I called and told them my problem. They told me to box it up and send it in and they will see what they can do.. So i'm keeping my fingers crossed.. While I had it out I went ahead and replaced my clutch with a EBC dirt racer, and then I'm gonnna adjust the valves... I'm keepin my fingers crossed.. Thanks for the replys... wes

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
fdmedic276 said:
Well here are some pixs of the L&A one way that failed.... After many attempts to contact ripper racing where I bought it from I stumbled upon a company by the name of http://www.raptorstarterclutch.com/index.htm that I called and told them my problem. They told me to box it up and send it in and they will see what they can do.. So i'm keeping my fingers crossed.. While I had it out I went ahead and replaced my clutch with a EBC dirt racer, and then I'm gonnna adjust the valves... I'm keepin my fingers crossed.. Thanks for the replys... wes
Ripper Racing was in the middle of a move, and your warranty is from the manufacturer not the retailer so you should have been in contact with L&A. The shop you sent your L&A is a vendor of L&L one-ways.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maddog56 said:
fdmedic276 said:
Ripper Racing was in the middle of a move, and your warranty is from the manufacturer not the retailer so you should have been in contact with L&A. The shop you sent your L&A is a vendor of L&L one-ways.
I'm not dogging on ripper racing by no means.. I contacted them with my problem about 2 months ago and ther told me to pull it apart and if it were bad they could send me the rebuild kit, only it it had no stress cracks.... Otherwise I would have to purchase another one... I finally got around to pulling it out to find it indeed has stress cracks, and needs to be replaced.. I tried to contact ripper racing multiple times in the last 4-5 days but theire phone number is no good... I was gonna just purchase a new one but when I told the guy at raptor starter clutch.com my story he told me that these things have a lifetime warranty, and to send it in and he could take care of me....That is the customer service I like.... I will still use ripper racing in the future.... Wes

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I don't care if you use Ripper or not, I was just trying to help you get out of this with as little cost as possible. Manufacturers are the warranters, not retailers for the vast majority of aftermarket parts out there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maddog56 said:
I don't care if you use Ripper or not, I was just trying to help you get out of this with as little cost as possible. Manufacturers are the warranters, not retailers for the vast majority of aftermarket parts out there.
True but I would think that the pple who sell the product should get me in the right direction to whom i should contact.... JMHO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after a few days after sending in my one way in to www.raptorstarterclutch.com , the called me and said that this is one of very few failures that they have seen.... They gave me a new L&L one way at half cost, and I didnt even originally buy the L&A from them.. It was also out of warrantee.. I am so pleased with the service i recieved from them.. I just wanted to let you all know of the great customer service I recieved from Raptorstarterclutch.. Wesley

1 - 13 of 13 Posts