Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of you expert guys give me a hand with this one 'cause I'm stumped......The raptor I have is an '01 and the one way crapped out on it...no big suprise....took everything apart and the 52 tooth gear looked pretty chewed up (again no big suprise) and so I went on ahead and ordered the full one way replacement set (L&A one way, new 52 tooth gear, bolts and gaskets). I got my parts and put everthing back together per instructions (its pretty easy not a big deal) and so the moment of truth came for my rappy to fire up in all its old glory and redemption was delivered as advertised, except I didn't get the old girl out of the drive way before the ATV made a real expensive sound and the motor died out. It sounded like the starter had engaged again when the motor was running. Sure enough there was no starter action at all just the relay clicking. I pulled out the starter and of course the little SOB had engaged while the motor was running and had gone to starter heaven (in a grand fashion I might add, it had really fragged itself). Ok, just for peace of mind and to see if anything else had been damaged I took off the flywheel again and checked the one way and 52 tooth gear and everything was OK. I while reassembling again in prep for the new starter, I followed all the directions, including checking for proper one way operation before tighting the flywheel bolt, everthing was OK and one way was operating properly, free one direction, engaged the other. Just to try to find out what could have gone wrong, after tighting the flywheel bolt I checked the one way operation again and it was engaged in both directions.....no free play in the correct direction...it was engaged. Do you have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? I am not willing to blow up another starter because the one way isn't operating properly...those little jokers are pricey...I really need some help with this, it is much more fun to ride than looking at my rappy parts pile in the garage!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
:confused: :confused: :confused: ,....The one-way is engaging in both directions...yup, that would'a kept your starter motor moving,..ultimately..more than likely burning it up. Never heard of this problem before,...someone else may have around here...I'd call L&A if no one replies around here..If you installed everything correctly it shouldn't of done that..Did you do all the work with out instructions? Theres specific instructions at raptortranny.com for the one-way replacement, I'm sure if you followed something close to that then its probably a defect?? Theres a few experts around here somewhere, just gotta wait for'em to get here. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did everything per instructions, I actually looked at a couple of sets of instructions that I found online, but followed the ones from raptortranny.com 'cause the pics were very good and the instructions were very easy to follow.....I can't figure this out at all....the install isn't hard and the one way works properly before the flywheel bolt is tightened down....once I put the bolt on the one way dosen't work...that definitely explans the starter's demise but I don't know why its happening...hope the experts get here soon and have an answer....besides the one way is a pretty expensive part, so I am surprised if it is a defect and everything I've heard about the L&A product is very good...again, I'm stumped

·
Registered
37 Posts
I changed a one way last week torqed the crank bult at 110 ftlbs everything worked perfect!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm doing an L&A install myself and seem to have encountered the same problem. When I have the flywheel off the one-way turns "one way" and locks solid the other.....but when I install it it doesn't turn either direction. I haven't even got mine torqued all the way down to 110 lbs. yet (strap wrench broke)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am interested in what the fix will be for your problem as my machine is in pieces as we speak awaiting my new starter clutch to be delivered..... by the way, it's not a bolt holding is on... it's a nut. One question..... did you lubricate everything with oil before you installed the cover or was everything "dry" when you had this problem??

·
Registered
145 Posts
I may have figured out my problem with the gear engaged both ways....I'll know sometime this morning when I get out there and check it out. Anyway, I pulled the bearing off the flywheel to see if the gear binded without the one way installed and started tightening it down....sure enough it started to bind. I looked at the side of my flywheel that the one way goes on and on the edge of the part that faces the starter gear there are a couple of burrs in the metal...not very big at all. I went and got my spare flywheel and installed it the same way....no binding. So apparently the burrs in my original flywheel are coming in contact with the starter gear and causing it to bind.....sooooooo you may check that.....i've done two other one way installs, without incident....this one, not so much...hopefully I've got it figured out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.