Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Im about to install my one way. Their site says they recommend to use a magnetic oil plug then ride it 15 mins, change the oil. Then its ready to go.

Is the magnetic plug necessary? I would have to order one. I understand changing the oil right away. Prolly metal from breaking in the one way.

I wouldnt think so much as to need a different drain plug though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The magnetic drain plug is nice to have regardless.. It's always catching tiny amounts of metal that is swimming around in your oil and going through your oil pump and various bearings.

Now about the starter clutch install - the magnet drain plug is nice here because you will have a lot more metallic debris since your starter clutch wore out and the worn pieces are floating around in your oil ( but most of it is probably stuck to your flywheel magnets so clean this very very good) and the magnetic plug should help catch some of this debris...

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Any gear box, oneway, or transmission will have lots of small metallic particles floating around, either install a magnetic plug or change the oil often when hot...............

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Mine caught the allen head of a one way bolt that I couldn't find / fish out. I rode it on the side of a hill to help the pice make its way over to the left hand side.

I made a magnetic plug for the oil tank and it usually has some fine metalic fuzz on it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW. OK I did happen to find a plug locally. Got the motor apart now. Just gotta put the gasket and the case on back. My old gear was all chewed up and rough. The OEM one way had flat spots on the bearings. So it was defentily on its way out. Metal was all over the flywheel.

Bolts were all there though. The weird thing is my flywheel nut was loosish. I just tapped it with the impact and it came right off. Could have used just a ratchet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
WOW. OK I did happen to find a plug locally. Got the motor apart now. Just gotta put the gasket and the case on back. My old gear was all chewed up and rough. The OEM one way had flat spots on the bearings. So it was defentily on its way out. Metal was all over the flywheel.

Bolts were all there though. The weird thing is my flywheel nut was loosish. I just tapped it with the impact and it came right off. Could have used just a ratchet.
Mine was the same way. I don't think it was actually loose, but my big impact gave it enough umph to loosen it with out any issues. Also, just a little FYI, when you clean the mating surfaces on the case, make sure you clean them well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts