Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it hurt the Raptor to run leaded gasoline through it? There is a local shop here that sells 100 octane unleaded, but for about half the price there is another shop a couple miles away that sells 100 octane leaded. Its a lot cheaper. I just wanted to check with everyone on the forum before I tried it. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Dont run leaded fuel.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Doesn't leaded fuel help the guad run cooler?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pile0g00 said:
What mods to do you have that warrant 100 octane?
I run 92 Octane unleaded in my Raptor, my brother had CT Racing's high performance work done on his machine (head porting, CT cam, valve work, 12:1 piston etc) and runs 100 Octane. The 100 Octane from the pump costs 6 or 7 something a gallon. We could switch to leaded for only like 4 buck/gallon. I've heard mixed things about running leaded and just wanted to hear back about pros/cons & dangers etc.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I would reserach that quite a bit before trying it...seriously. What if it mucks something up bad?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Because the manual specifically says not to run leaded.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Most guys with those mods say they can run a 50/50 (50% 100 and 50% 92) mix without any problems, you might try that to save some money.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
What, you mean all of with high comp modded 700R's running leaded fuel are doing something wrong :3question: :crazy: ;)

There is no 02 sensor or anything else in the 700R that is going to be effected by running leaded fuel. I even ran the leaded outlaw 4 stroke fuel(like VP ultmate 2 oxy) in my rappy when it was internally stock with the 3 basic mods with no problems what so ever. Put over 200 hard hrs in the dunes on it and ran klotz nitropropane with koolinol additive in it as well and according to the builder it looked good when it came apart for the 780 build :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
pile0g00 said:
Most guys with those mods say they can run a 50/50 (50% 100 and 50% 92) mix without any problems, you might try that to save some money.

That's what I run for duning and hill shooting 50% R-Tech 110 leaded race fuel and 50% Shell V power pump 92, works great for me :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I used to run Avgas (100LL) in my built Tecate 4. It is 'low lead' by aviation standards, but it has more lead than auto gas by my understanding. I never had any problems.

Lead might be a problem with the fuel injection on our 700's.

Shawn

·
Registered
180 Posts
Doubtful. Lead is actually helpful in lubricating valve seats & stems. Like the other poster said, it should only be a problem if one was running an o2 sensor as it will ruin those. But hey, I could be wrong.....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Leaded fuel will clog up Catalytic converters and O2 sensors, neither of those are found on our bikes. Most of the high octane stuff is leaded, and wont hurt anything. It helps to lube valves as well. Some of it will however turn your plug / pipes white from its residue (it doesnt mean you are lean) but it wont hurt anything on our bikes.

If you need the extra octane, it cant hurt. But if you dont need the extra octane, then there is no need for it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i am not trying to start an agrument, but why would the manual specifically say not to use leaded fuels?

G

·
cause of the long-haired tree huggin' hippies - the same hippies that say 2-strokes are bad...

Since when is burnin' lead or oil bad for the environment... :lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR BIKE RUNING FOR A WHILE DO NOT EVER AND I MEAN EVER USE LEADED FUEL!!!!!

some of you may be old enough to remember this but im betting a majority are not. back in the day when leaded fuel was the main fuel to run, you were concidered extraordinarily lucky to ever see 100,000 miles on your car. in fact 75,000 was pushing it. now a days its not uncommon to see beyond 200,000 miles.

you ask why? simple answer. first off, lead as an addative was to serve one purpose, to aid in lubrication on valve train, and quiet valve seats. it also provided a more controlled burn as the technology was not available for differant addatives to produce the same controled combustion as thy are today. how did this shorten engine life? again, simple answer. over time the lead would deposit itself in alot of bad unwanted places, like, causing build up on valve seats, building up under the piston rings resulting in premature wear, as well as a number of other places that i could list for an entire page and a half. lead was discovered to be both the engines friend in the short term, and i mean short, and the engines worst enemy in the long run. unleaded fuel was introduced at first as an emission control measure back in the 60's as the lead would destroy catalityc converters in no time. but it was discovered that due to the new addatives making lead obsolete, longer engine life and better performance was a welcome side effect.

back in those days, a motor with 40 to 50 thousand miles on it was looking at a total overhaul in its imediate future. think about how long it takes to put that many miles on by todays standards. now apply that to this small engine that , A. was not designed for that type of fuel, B. has a much shorter life span as it is, and C. is incapable by design to create the compresion and the thermal temperatures required to expel the lead at anything close to resembeling an efficiant manor. thus making the damage done increase all the more.

add all of that together, now how long do you expect your machine to live?
pretty expensive gamble to take with something as presicely enginered as these have proven to be, wouldnt you agree?

·
Registered
556 Posts
1. Av gas is horrible to run in a high rpm engine. It's designed to burn at 3000 rpm or less.... It's burn rate is VERY slow compared to 87 octane gas. "pilot :thumbsup:"

2. Mixing leaded gas with regular gas won't harm the valves at all. It will actually coat the stems...seats and the back of the valve!

M

·
Registered
314 Posts
octane boost addatives are exactly that, octane boost. its just additional additives to make the burn more unifom. that is asuming it is good quality and contains no lead. there are lead addatives intended for vintage autos.

as far as mixing, sure it will thin it out, but like i pointed out, lead is lead, it will build up over time. all that is doing is prolonging the inevitable. ive built enough engines, and tore down enough and have seen first hand what lead can and will do to know not to do it.
coating the valves, stems and seats? case in point. someone asked why not, well, i tried to give you good reason. what anyone does with the information they are given is their own choice. all i know is there is no way in hell any of that fuel will come within 100 yards of anything i own. but its been 19 years since my first engine tear down...what do i know :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts