Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I bought an 02 raptor about a month ago. When I bought it the guy said it was leaking coolant and he hadn't gotten a chance to fix it. He thought it was just a gasket but knocked $50 off anyways. I talked to a friend who is a bombardier mechanic and he said if it is leaking out of the weep hole then it is most likely the mechanical seal. I went home and took the water pump housing apart. When I did a ton of coolant poured on the ground (don't know if that was supposed to happen or not). Took it apart and got a new mechanical and oil seal. Put it back together and its still leaking. Fill the tank up and ride for half hour and the tank is empty again. Do you think the impeller is no good and it just isn't pumping coolant so it just goes out the weep hole? Thanks!

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
Well, let's see... if I open up the water pump and it's at the bottom of the engine... should I expect a deluge of coolant? Uh huh.

If you just replaced the seal without cleaning up or replacing the mating surfaces, it's still going to leak. Open again and make sure that any surface that comes in contact with the seal is baby-butt smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brought it to the mechanic to put back in and he cleaned it nicely. He also looked at the impeller and didn't really like the condition it was in. He cleaned it up and thought it would be ok. Would a problem with the impeller cause coolant to come out the weep hole?

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
No. In order for coolant to get to the weep hole it must leak past the seal. The seal needs to be re-done. If you paid to have it done in the first place, take it back and have him re-do it. Unless the impeller shaft is bent or way out of round, the fault must be with one of the two sealing surfaces.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I brought it to the mechanic to put back in and he cleaned it nicely. He also looked at the impeller and didn't really like the condition it was in. He cleaned it up and thought it would be ok. Would a problem with the impeller cause coolant to come out the weep hole?
The mechanical seal when changed includes all portions that wear, and when you change it should eliminate the problem, part of the seal that wears rest against the impeller...................:)

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
Revisiting, I don't think I worded it very well.

Doesn't the rear side that rests against the impeller require that the impeller face be clean and free of nicks AND free of bends/wobble?

Same for the bore that the other side rides in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts