Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After installing a Vito's jet kit with aftermarket fuel screws, I get a tiny leak out of one of the carbs. I changed the o-rings on the fuel screws, but it still leaks while it is running. Could the seats be damaged? I didn't overtighten anything. Just tightened until I felt tension, then backed it out 2.5-3 turns.

If the seats are damaged, is there a way to clean them up or smooth them out? Could I use a larger o-ring? I hope my only option isn't new carburetors.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Are you sure thats where its comming from? i put that kit on my buddies bike and it looked like it was leaking from the fuel screw but it was the float bowl gasket leaking right beside it. all i did was take it off and clean the edge where it meets the bowl meets the carb and did the clear tube, float adjustment and it stopped. hope this helps!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Surfrjag. I will take a look at that but I am quite sure that it is coming from the fuel screw on the right carb. The bike sat overnight with no leaks after reinstalling the carbs after doing the clear tube mod. When I started it and let it warm up yesterday, I noticed moisture (gasoline) on the right screw. I touched the screw and it smelt like gas. If it were the bowl gasket, I'd think it would leak even when not running. I'm tempted to try the stock fuel screws again, even though the after markets are the reason I bought the Vito's kit!

·
Registered
127 Posts
thats exactly where it was comming from in my case also but if it is indeed comming from the fuel screw you could try removing it and cleaning it out and reinstalling it. the oring in there should keep it from leaking not the screw itself

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
If the fuel screw bore was not cleaned thoroughly before putting new screws/o-ring into it, any corrosion in the bore could damage the o-ring.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Quadmaniac. This weekend I'll tear it down again and get new o-rings. Is there a good way to clean the fuel screw bore before reinstalling? I know generally carb cleaner and compressed air is not enough. The screw bore is too big to clean with a piece of wire I would think.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
A nylon bristle (not metal bristle) rifle barrel cleaning brush and carb cleaner works well - or pipe cleaner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I will try that this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts