Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone here run LED headlights in the stock bezels? My buddy put a set with the silly ballasts on the back in his that have high and low beams, and they are quite bright, but he had to modify the bezels to make them fit. I have been looking at 100w H6M style LED bulbs, and while they are cheap, I don't like throwing money away if they arent worthwhile...and of course, google searches yield worthless results. Just wondering if they put out comparable amounts of light in the non-ballast variants. I read that the 80w models put out comparable light to the 35w stockers, which doesn't make much sense to me.

In particular, I am looking at the Genssi 100w CREE LEDs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just had a look on amazon and they dont get the best reviews, 2 or 3 out of 5.
I have bought leds like those before and i would be sceptical of much power without a ballast, especially at 100w even the cooling alone needed for 100w led makes them doubtful. many led retailers use "comparative light output" rather than the actual wattage, so a 7w led may be equivalent to a 60w halogen, but they list the led as 60w.

If you really want led stock headlights, have a look at reviews, get a popular kit, its not going to be a straight fit but i think its better to get something that you know will work well even if it takes a little more fabrication, just check the heatsink size wont be a problem. I assume you have looked at HIDs? they are a bit more established for diy/custom things, seem quite cheap too. heres a guide on hids if you havent seen it

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/80-raptor-700-modifications/74474-raptor-700-hid-bi-xenon-hids-install-how.html

If you really want good light i would just skip the stock headlights altogether, and get a chinese led light bar or the normal led worklights. I have had 6 48watt square ones, few 27w ones, and though they get warm they are very very bright and have been going strong for a year, though a light bar looks a lot better on a quad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. As far as I understand Wattage, actual or rated, isnt so much of a problem as current is. Since LED's use far less amps than halogen or HID's Wattage, be it the comparable rating or actual, shouldn't play a role. Problem with the LED lights with the ballasts or heatsinks/fans is those typically are the ones with high and low beam functionality; makes me think that the whole heatsink assembly is there as part of incorporating that high and low beam feature. I am not so concerned with high and low beams as my intentions are to wire the led headlights to run off the low position, and then have a lightbar that comes on in the high position.

Reviews wise, I haven't been able to find any clear reviews detailing any legitimate opinions, only ones on stores that are average to good and no one says what the put them in or how it compares to stock.

I guess I should clarify that all Im interested in is that they are as bright or brighter than the factory high's. No modification is preferred in the event I want to put halogens back in, as it is a brand new quad. My buddy's high and low capable LED's are rated for 24w on the high beam, and they are bright, but as you made clear there are descrepancies between brands and models when it comes to Wattage and actual lumens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn't recommend putting LEDs on the quad because most led aren't water resistant due to an open fan and housing. HIDs is a possible alternative.
Any suggestions/recommendations on some HIDs that would fit rather easily (without heavy modifcations). Would this require an upgraded stator or would stock be sufficient? Am looking to increase the brightness but a lot of it comes down to the output gained vs money spent.

Edit:
In-before-someone-telling-me-to-use-the-search-feature...

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/80-raptor-700-modifications/74474-raptor-700-hid-bi-xenon-hids-install-how.html

Guess I'll add that to my TO-DO list.

On a side note, does anyone have a comparison of the before and after with these types of lights? is it worth it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys i have a 2004 raptor 350 that I love both my headlight low and high beam was working now as of last night only the high beam on left side works and if i hit bumps it start to turn off too so I figured I needed new bulbs inwas looking at the blue led til I read this post I dont want to have to do any modifications so can anyone tell me exactly what bulbs I need to order that will hook right up like the ones on it?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If your headlights work, but are cutting on and off from bumps, you should clean the bulb sockets, as the bulbs are ok. Bulbs either work or they don't.
You would be better off with halogen bulbs than leds, and there are brighter than stock halogen bulbs available.
But, if you really want to see, spend $25-$50 and put a "9-14" flood/spot led lightbar on the front bumper or handlebars, and you won't need the stock headlights at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your headlights work, but are cutting on and off from bumps, you should clean the bulb sockets, as the bulbs are ok. Bulbs either work or they don't.
You would be better off with halogen bulbs than leds, and there are brighter than stock halogen bulbs available.
But, if you really want to see, spend $25-$50 and put a "9-14" flood/spot led lightbar on the front bumper or handlebars, and you won't need the stock headlights at all.
I just bought new bulbs and both work on high, but only 1 on left. Any idea what might be the issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I may piggyback onto this thread, what is a good light bar to handle bar mount on my 2020 Raptor 700? They range from very cheap, to expensive. Are the expensive ones worth it?
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,271 Posts
If I may piggyback onto this thread, what is a good light bar to handle bar mount on my 2020 Raptor 700? They range from very cheap, to expensive. Are the expensive ones worth it?
Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.

I think the ones off Amazon are just fine vs the expensive ones like Rigid. I run Aux beam pods in place of the OEM’s and a 12” bar on my bumper. I have seen a couple of the bar mount ones that a few guys run that will chime in. I am curious as well for one of our Raptors, I can’t run a bar mount on mine due to the vapor dash I have.

Reactions: CanadianGirl

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome.
Just joined today, this is my second post. Love my new Raptor, but need to learn how to do maintenance, and I want to add a few accessories, light bar, carrying rack, heated hand grips, and winch.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I would recommend heated gloves vs heated grips.
Heated grips are hot, and you hold them...meanwhile the backs of your hands and fingers freeze.
Heated gloves will plug directly into a battery tender pigtail too, so much easier.
Heated gloves can also get too warm for conditions, so buying a pair with an adjustable thermostat really helps.
Hand guards also help block some of the cold wind.

·
Super Moderator
8,271 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome.
Just joined today, this is my second post. Love my new Raptor, but need to learn how to do maintenance, and I want to add a few accessories, light bar, carrying rack, heated hand grips, and winch.
I can send you a pdf service manual that will help for maintenance. PM me a valid email and I can send it over. Do you run into areas where you need a winch? If so there is a thread from years ago a member installed one and it was a great how to if interested. I can dig that up if set on the winch.

Reactions: CanadianGirl

·
Super Moderator
8,271 Posts
Heated grips are hot, and you hold them...meanwhile the backs of your hands and fingers freeze.
Heated gloves will plug directly into a battery tender pigtail too, so much easier.
Heated gloves can also get too warm for conditions, so buying a pair with an adjustable thermostat really helps.
I like that idea of heated gloves. I have the mitts that work pretty good as well. The type that cover the whole bar set up.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I bet those mitts are good in snow and wet conditions.
I've seen them, never used them.
I've street ridden many cold miles in heated gloves, and love them.
I wouldn't, couldn't winter ride without them(teens, single digits is average winter coldest here).
I have full winter gear, but don't need a heated vest or heated insoles unless it's dark(solar heat on black warms more than you'de think, lol).
But, I cannot ride without heated gloves anytime once it's cold outside, they are a game changer, opened up all winter for me to ride.
The reason I mentioned a thermostat is becaus coming down from elavation one day(4k' to 1k') the temp rose from teens to 50's, and my hands got hot, lol.
No big deal, just unplug and plug them back in every 5 minutes.
So the thermostat is nice to adjust them.
You can put the battery tender pigtail in several places from under the seat, run the glove wires up your jacket sleeves, and a foot or 2 out at the jacket waist line to plug in to the pigtail on the battery.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,564 Posts
I like that idea of heated gloves. I have the mitts that work pretty good as well. The type that cover the whole bar set up.
Winter riding for me was to put my gloves and hands on the exhaust to warm them.
I remember those mitts, I thought they were for the wife's bike, lol?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great information, which gloves would you recommend.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts