Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put 4 LED pods on my 660 (2 pointed slightly down for "low beams" All four turned on for high beams) any suggestions or anything i will need to change/upgrade? i will be using the "original" headlight positions, but will be making new brackets to hold them. can i just tap in to my original lighting wires and make high/low beams that way? or do i need to go another route? any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
Existing wiring should work just fine for you.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I drew additional wires directly from the battery and used the stock wiring as signals for relays. I have 2x55W HID lights. Your LEDs probably aren't so powerful so you'll be alright with stock wiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you guys post some pics of what they look like on your machines? Thinking about a much needed light upgrade
for this old pig.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a hid kit on mine but the how to thread I made is a bit broken now How to install the HID kit. The hosting site for the pictures hoes not use the HTTPS and goggle is blocking the previews of those. I'd like to post it here but I can't right now. I'm on a business trip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got them on and work very good, went to a local fab shop and they ,made some L brackets and they mounted to previous headlight mounts. wouldnt be hard to make on your own. just make sure everything is the same length and drill holes

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,750 Posts
I came across some 1"x5" L brackets at hardware store and mounted some yesterday. I can post a pic later showing them from different angles.

·
Super Moderator
7,750 Posts
Here you go

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,750 Posts
I chopped off all the extra material tonight and zip tied all wires. Came out looking pretty clean, adjustments to light pattern needs to happen now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I'm going the same route and installed 4 led pods. I'd like 2 to work off lowbeams and all 4 to light on high beam. Having some trouble with the wiring though. Each pod has black and red. The existing wiring provides me with a black, green, and yellow. How do I go about this?

·
Super Moderator
7,750 Posts
Black is ground, I can't remember which color is high or low off hand. Easy enough to have a light tester on them while operating the switch on the bars. Both lights can share the same ground, just have one pod red wire tied into either the green or yellow and whatever you don't use color wise on the pod, use on the other. I ran a separate wire with switch and relay directly to the battery for mine to allow all 4 on at the same time. I might also do that with the one I have tied into the OEM switch as well. It seems like the set of pods tied into my OEM switch has flickering effect rather than solid light like my others.

Make any sense?

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
JD, welcome to the forum!

At the headlight connector, black is ground, low beam is green, high beam is yellow.

To make your LEDs act as you described, wire all LED blacks to black, wire low beam LED's red wire to green, high beam LED's red wire to yellow, and add a diode between green and yellow with the diode's stripe (cathode) pointing toward green.

For the uninitiated, a diode is simply the equivalent of a one-way valve - it allows electrical current to pass in one direction only... so if the low beams are on (and the diode's stripe is toward the low beam's power lead) then the diode blocks current flow through to the high beam. BUT, if the high beam's power lead is turned on then current CAN flow through the diode to the low beam. This allows both LEDs to illuminate only when the high beam's lead has 12V on it. Forgive me if I've given too much information here.

Here's a suggestion for the diode (Diode from Amazon), but any 4 Amp or higher Schottky Rectifier diode will safely do the trick.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'd use the relay for the switching and wires from original wiring only as a trigger to the relay coil. Quads option will work but I wouldn't take the risk since the switching is then performed by the light switch which doesn't have contacts for high current nor are the wires thick enough. Plus you can add a fuse to the wires just to be sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JD, welcome to the forum!

At the headlight connector, black is ground, low beam is green, high beam is yellow.

To make your LEDs act as you described, wire all LED blacks to black, wire low beam LED's red wire to green, high beam LED's red wire to yellow, and add a diode between green and yellow with the diode's stripe (cathode) pointing toward green.

For the uninitiated, a diode is simply the equivalent of a one-way valve - it allows electrical current to pass in one direction only... so if the low beams are on (and the diode's stripe is toward the low beam's power lead) then the diode blocks current flow through to the high beam. BUT, if the high beam's power lead is turned on then current CAN flow through the diode to the low beam. This allows both LEDs to illuminate only when the high beam's lead has 12V on it. Forgive me if I've given too much information here.

Here's a suggestion for the diode (Diode from Amazon), but any 4 Amp or higher Schottky Rectifier diode will safely do the trick.
This is exactly what I was looking for! Just ordered the diodes and will be installing next weekend. Thanks for the help!

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
the light switch which doesn't have contacts for high current nor are the wires thick enough. .
Supra, your HID requirements are different than his for LED. His LEDs draw less current than stock bulbs, and way less than your HIDs... There are no issues related to the stock switches or wiring. Please note my sig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts