Raptor Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It's easy - simply connect the diode's striped end to the green wire and the diode's other end to the yellow wire... that's it. When the yellow wire (hi beam) gets fed 12V so will the green - through the diode... but when the green (low beam) gets fed 12V the yellow won't. The diode acts as a one way valve. So, hi beam turns on both hi and low, low beam turns on only the low.

View attachment 139279
Thank you! Ive got 4 Auxbeam LED pods going on it and I ordered the diodes you posted a few posts up. Probably going the Home Depot/Lowes L bracket route for mounting them. Thanks again Quad!

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
If the diode gets too hot in use just put two in parallel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did some math on it. They are 5 amp diodes. Auxbeam lights are 18W per, for a total of 36W in high beam. That's a 3A draw over the 5A diode at 12V in high beam. Should be good, but thanks for that tip too. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know how it works out.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Yes, I looked up your lights and did the same calcs, and a few more, based upon the diode's data sheet:

At 3A load the forward voltage drop across the diode will be about 0.7V.

0.7V x 3A = 2.1 Watt. Thermal resistance of the diode to ambient air is 25 deg C per Watt.

Assuming 30C ambient on a warm night ride --> 30C + (2.1W x 25C/W) = 82.5C or a diode temp of about 180F...

At 3A the diode's max operating temp is rated at 120C, so that has not been exceeded - BUT it's gonna get quite hot at 3A. Take it from an old and storied electrical engineer.

At least mount it where it can get some air flow so it doesn't get any hotter.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gotcha, ill solder two in line between the yellow and green. Can't have those burning up on me in the middle of the dunes at night. Bad juju. Is there a length of wire off of each between the two that i should have or can I solder them pretty close together?

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
In parallel (see pic)... spacing isn't too important - as near or as far apart as you wish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went back and ordered the 15A diode. Is that one able to be run standalone instead of running two 5A in parallel?

Another question, slightly different, but wiring related. Im going to wind up wiring in a 6ft Tribal Whips LED whip as well. Looking at tying it into the wire that turns on the taillight when the headlights are on. Tribal says the current draw is roughly .4A. That won't pose any issues with also running the LED headlight pods would it?

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
A single 15A diode will just get warm.

The 0.4A whip addition should cause no issue for the tail light circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wound up going a different route on the LED whip. The one I ordered apparently is a 5A draw. I'm pretty sure the tail light circuit won't support that. 2 questions come to mind. Is the combo of LED lights up front and a 5A LED whip in the back going to overwhelm the stator. Second, if the system can handle the electrical requirements, is there a more advisable location to wire it into that will allow it to turn on when the headlights are on? Its probably early enough that I cancel the order if its gonna be too much hassle or strain on the electrical system.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
The rectifier/regulator is the limiting factor at 14A max (the stator is 16A)... but I'd suggest keeping it to 10A or under just to limit the stress.

I think the 6A up front (when in high beam mode), the 2A or so the Quad draws (you can measure this to verify if you want) only leaves 2 or so spare Amps - just to be safe. You can push it, but IMO you'll be putting your rec/reg and stator under undue stress since they're 15-19 y/o components.

I would try to find something 2A or less, sorry. If you must go over try to minimize the overage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Again, the help is much appreciated. I canceled my order with 5150 Whips and went with Tribal Whips. Even for their brightest, it is less than a 1A draw. Staying around 9A total draw between headlights, whip, and quad requirements makes me feel a little better about part longevity. Thanks again boss!

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Get it working yet?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts