Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 raptor with 10 hours on the clock. Bone stock with the exception of a no toil air filter and pre filter.. Recently went to Lil Sahara in Waynoka Ok and I feel the bike could use a lot more power. The bike had sand paddles in rear with front runners up front. Suspension handled great but the bike just seemed to be down on power.. I usually ride a 09 crf450r, so Im using its power band as comparison. Any suggestion on "power parts" are welcomed...
Don't want to do a piston yet...
Spend my money as if it was your hard earned money..

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Get a nice set of Barkers or DMC duals, a PC3/5 Programmer.. Then report back.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a 09 raptor with 10 hours on the clock. Bone stock with the exception of a no toil air filter and pre filter.. Recently went to Lil Sahara in Waynoka Ok and I feel the bike could use a lot more power. The bike had sand paddles in rear with front runners up front. Suspension handled great but the bike just seemed to be down on power.. I usually ride a 09 crf450r, so Im using its power band as comparison. Any suggestion on "power parts" are welcomed...
Don't want to do a piston yet...
Spend my money as if it was your hard earned money..
Personally, if you dont want to go internal. The Big 3 is the best modding for power, made a huge difference for me. Duals,k&n + intake, and programmer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a nice set of Barkers or DMC duals, a PC3/5 Programmer.. Then report back.
Hope I didn't offend, I was just making an observation and looking for help.. Other than the lack of power I love the bike..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally, if you dont want to go internal. The Big 3 is the best modding for power, made a huge difference for me. Duals,k&n + intake, and programmer.
I was on....cough..hmm "************" earlier today and found a "best bang for the buck" upgrade post over there but it seemed to be old.. There is too much information out there to wrap your head around in just a few weeks, But I was looking at going this route... DMC force 4 quads, FCI intake, PCv, Hot cams stage 3, and a dynatek ignition module.. Do you seasoned veterans see any holes in my decision??

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you just strictly dune a stage 2 cam would probably serve you better.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Hope I didn't offend, I was just making an observation and looking for help.. Other than the lack of power I love the bike..
LOL, you didnt offend me. I thought the same thing until I did a big 3. Its a night and day difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you just strictly dune a stage 2 cam would probably serve you better.
Its not a "dune only" quad by no means. Its gonna be my all around beater..Dunes, trails, and track.. I like all kinds of riding.. That being said is the stage 3 not a good cam? Pardon my Ignorance, Im "New2Quads"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, you didnt offend me. I thought the same thing until I did a big 3. Its a night and day difference.
Thats really good to know.. Thanks for your input. I'll be ordering parts in the next couple weeks.. Cant wait for some arm pump trying to contain this biatch!!!

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
I'd hold off on the cams until you do the Big 3. See how that does ya, if not enough, move to cams..

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
If you go to the stage 3 you should also do a higher compression piston to make up lost grunt on the bottom end. So if you don't want to do a piston swap go for the stage 2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd hold off on the cams until you do the Big 3. See how that does ya, if not enough, move to cams..
I can see the logic in your post.. I guess I couldn't give out proper advice in the future if I did all my mods at once.. At least if I do the cams last I will know how much it truly gave me..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you go to the stage 3 you should also do a higher compression piston to make up lost grunt on the bottom end. So if you don't want to do a piston swap go for the stage 2.
Thanks for saving my ass, well at least my low end torque.. I don't wanna beat the piss outta the motor all the time to make useable power..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
;)

Hit me up next time you go to LS!
With any luck I'll be going this weekend.. Waiting on a buddy to put his 400ex back together.. Where in Ok are you located.. Always looking to find more ridin buddies..

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Sand robs power big time. I'd start by putting shorter gears on it. Power-wise, the Raptor is corked up to an extreme level and responds very well to mods. Exhaust, programmer and filter (big3) makes a dramatic difference. Most combinations work well, "DMC force 4 quads, FCI intake, PCv, Hot cams stage 3, and a dynatek ignition module" sounds like a winning kit. Make sure you put it on a dyno to tune it right too.

As it's been said before, I'd go with the HC2 over HC3 for dunes. The HC3 opens up the top end more than anything, HC2 is more torquey so for sand it's an obvious choice. While you have it open, might as well throw a 11.5:1 TQS piston in there and you'll have a solid setup.

·
"Sand Hustler"
1,644 Posts
If you want power....dont depend on the infamous "BIG 3". Not bashing it or anything but its not much more power for the sand. I think you are on the right track....HC3, PC3, FCI, dual pipes(monsters), I would do the +3 tb, dynatech with DL700 curves. It also depends on what paddle tires you were using, I had some crappy geckos and when I got haulers, it was a night and day difference.....Hit up High Desert Dyno, thats where all my work has been done, Daniel specializes in making Raptors fast and he usually comes across used parts for great deals from people upgrading all the time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts