Votes: 90 55.6%
  • Replaced their 01 components with 02+ PRIOR to problems occuring

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 147 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
I have an 01 motor that's 2nd gear broken or so I was told. This will be an easy way to see without splitting the cases.........

Thanks again ;)

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
Of course if you turn it upside down and three round dogs fall out thats a pretty good indication as well...
Yep, there's no running from the truth with that method......... ;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
LOL! Heck, if you take both side covers off you are even likely to find evidence of trans failure. I found a part of something (lord only knows) when I pulled my clutch cover off that had been left when one of the previous owners had replaced the decompression mech or the trans. I was lucky to find someone had already put a 02+ trans in my 01 (the guy I bought it from didn't know much on its history, other than his son bought it and blew the engine). Regardless, once you get the cylinder off you should be able to look inside and see if things have gone awry

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hmmmm, When my counterbalancer exited the engine it was hard enough to see the trans gears with half the top of the trans missing, I will half to look at my half assembled engine tomorrow and see what I can see.........

·
Registered
905 Posts
Let me know if it works with the crank still in, like I said I didn't even think about the fact that the crank was out when I did it...so I may be wrong, but its worth a shot.

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That might be a good idea... perhaps when this one is done?

I KNOW there's more of you out there... 01 owners - tranny problems or not? VOTE!

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Anybody else? 01 owners, get your votes in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
voted!!!!!!!!

01 owner here had my raptor for 2 years now, second owner i ride pretty hard on the trail mostly second gear , not a single problem yet other then had to replace the clutch...

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks!

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Any other '01 owners who haven't voted yet? Sure there are.... get your votes in!

Thanks.

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Starting to think we're not gonna get any more votes.... Come on '01 owners, the more of you that vote, the more valid the statistics will be.

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My '01 had no second gear when I bought it last year as a project quad. (Just clattered around in idle until second gear was skipped entirely. ) Tore it down and took all internal tranny parts to an expert for diagnosis. Had to replace: 2nd Gear, 4th Gear, one Shift fork and the Shift Drum. Explaination => The gear fingers had rounded edges instead of 90 degree angles, and some of the v shaped notches in the shift drum were round and not sharp. Fork was okay but had some ugly scrap marks on it so replaced it as reccommended. Mechanic said he could tell the wear was due to abuse. (Banging gears without proper clutch use, jumping / landing without the clutch in etc.) Was able to get it all back together correctly on a garage work bench just using the service manual, basic tools and an impact wrench. Since then, it's running great. Second gear is everything and I would have to say I am somewhat hard on it.

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well, we've been stuck at 48 votes for the last few days. Any more 01 owners who wanna vote, or do I just put this to bed?

Thanks for all your support.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Naa keep it going for a while, I for one would be curious of the results over the long term. I voted ‘Has’ because I didn’t want to skew the stats, but in my case, I probably could have voted both 'Has' and 'Has Not' had tranny issues since mine were inherited when acquiring the Rappy and it is has run great ever since fixing it. One curious thing I found when I cracked it open was that the 'old style' gears I have seen pictures of in manuals on this forum, were not present so mine had either been rebuilt and messed up again before me or Yo-mama-haw stopped putting in the gears with the 'round' fingers at some point in '01.

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Okay, I'll keep bumping it for a while. I think good stats on this are something that, at least, most 01 owners would be interested in.

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Jeez, I go for a glorious 4 days of riding at Supersition Mountain, get back and all I see is one more vote?

Lets keep going. '01 owners - please vote if you haven't already.

Thanks.

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Calling all 01 owners - vote?

·
Registered
92 Posts
blew 2 of em but power shifting on asphalt from 1st to 2nd was not good i now consider that as abuse but i could be wrong

41 - 60 of 147 Posts