Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You hear about ppl lighten there frame for raceing but
All I can do and think of is shaving the un used tabs off which I have already done

Can you cut ur crossmemeber out??
Or even the bottom of the subframe off ??

This bike will be used only for drag racing and hill shooting

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I b elieve people generally add material to the mane frame/engine cradle to strengthen that part of the chassis.
To lighten things I have seen custom made alloy subframes made to support the seat.
There is a bit of weight just in the seat itself, & cutting back the plastics.
If you are drag racing only, then replacing the front shocks with struts will save you weight also.
Good luck

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have shaws and lightweight a arms n swingarm I'm just wondering about the frame it self

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any way you can just cut the bottom part of the subframe off will it hold lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here is an example of what you can get one down too.. Without a bar mine weighed less than 270lbs. on 2 diff. sets of digital cart scales where as the stock weight of a 660 is over 400lbs.. Thats with no Titanium or Carbon fiber parts.. If you are striclty drag racing remove anything you dont need to go 300-660 ft.. Grind, grind, & grind some more as far as frame such as welds, removing tabs & anything else unneccassary.. & it is very possible to get one right much lower than that but you will spend some $$ on the Ti parts etc. but doable! Take everything into consideration when trying to save weight down to the fuel.. Stock tank is what I consider heavy & add couple gallons of fuel & you are loking at 20lbs. just from tank/fuel.. The tank I ran held little over 1 quart & tank weighed hardly nothin so thats basically at least a 18lb. saving just from that.. Thats the way you have to think on things & in the end all those things will add up to a lot of weight savings!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Yup, tank's a good one for sure, them bitches get heavy when full. Also, if you're strickly 300' racing- you don't need the cooling system. Everything from the radiator to the water pump can go... those 2 things alone will help a lot.

As far as the frame, like '97 said - if you haven't gotten an 01 subframe yet- might look into it. It's aluminum vs. the steel on 02-05, and can be polished to look nice as well. I had this one (below) on my bike, and when comparing this one with a stock subframe w/grab bar, the modified 01 I had was almost exactly half the weight. I think it came in at around 6 pounds

·
Registered
532 Posts
You could go on a diet. Lol . I took 25lbs off my quad just by me going on a 2 month diet.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lmao I don't think that could happen I weight 112 as it is

·
Registered
532 Posts
Shit, I need you to jockey my quad. After diet I am 200 lbs. 75 to 80 lbs would make a huge difference .

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol very true well I went and got done shaving the frame here is the look as of now still have to send it to get powdercoated
I love the no lower subframe look

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Never seen the lower sub frame cut off. How does it stay in place now? Seems like it would just pivot down when you sit on it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah neither have I so I was like were gonna b the first which it will save weight ...and I love the look the duals cover the random back box up to
To be honest Idk it does tho lol its like stuck there I've been tossing it around while grinding on it
Gf even sat on didn't even move lol its crazy I will b getn it welded into place just incase tho ...

But if u think about it if it does move it won't hurt anything as the seat is connected to the end of the subframe and the seat is connected to ur gas tank so its kinda all connected lol

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
What the shit? You weight 112 pounds? Are you sure you didn't mean 212? I can't even imagine weighing 112 pounds. That's like one of my legs, hahahaha!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup lmao just weighd my self yesturday 116 lol that's y my bike always boogies
Age 21
Weight 116
Height 5'5 lol
I look like im 16 tho lol

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Oh Christ. You numbdicks need to understand that you are lighter than everyone out there and don't really need to starve yourselves to get lighter. Go eat a damn cheeseburger or five.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aha I love me some rabbit food

1 - 20 of 28 Posts