Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few riders on the forum who claim they have lightened the quad load by removing some un-necessary parts. I have removed a few little things (the drain under the tank being my best example) off the quad, but I would like to know what else I can remove to help my Raptor loose some weight.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Oil. Gas. Grips. Bumpers. Valve stem caps. Foot pegs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would not remove the drain under the gas tank, it is also a heat shield for the head pipe. Replacing the stock muffler with an after market exhaust will lighten the load. Replacing the stock steel wheels with aluminums will help. Replacing the stock tires with 19 and 18" will lighten it. Replacing the stock rear sprocket with a 37t aluminum will help. If you remove the head and taillights will lighten it. Deleting the parking brake will lighten it. You can also replace the stock throttle with a MotionPro twist.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Go on a diet ;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not remove the drain under the gas tank, it is also a heat shield for the head pipe. Replacing the stock muffler with an after market exhaust will lighten the load. Replacing the stock steel wheels with aluminums will help. Replacing the stock tires with 19 and 18" will lighten it. Replacing the stock rear sprocket with a 37t aluminum will help. If you remove the head and taillights will lighten it. Deleting the parking brake will lighten it. You can also replace the stock throttle with a MotionPro twist.
Removed the drain quite some time ago, haven't had a problem yet..
Can't change the exhaust (neighbors don't wan't the noise and my dad won't let me make the Raptor any louder, otherwise I would probably have a nice screaming exhaust on there)
Removed my heel guards
Need my headlights and tail lights because I do a good bit of night time riding
I think the parking brake is actually kind of useful when I am washing the quad or something and don't wan't it rolling away. (I'm not a big fan of leaving the bike in gear when I wan't to park it.)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the real reason I made this thread is because, I have a new riding buddy, and he has a 400ex with the big 3. I've seen his quad a few times, and it seems like its real fast, and well there really aren't any more mods I can do to the raptor to make it faster without breaking down the motor, so I was wondering if there was a way to drop a few pounds on the raptor to better the power:weight..

I have not gotten a chance to ride with him yet, but lets say if I were to race him, does anyone think I will be able to get him off the line and keep a good lead on him for a while until that 400 gets up to speed?

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Been workin on this one my man.. But if i'm going on a diet, my raptor is going on one with me :D
lol. So why are you trying to drop weight on it? I think it would just be easier to add some power. Are you just doing it because of $$? I would think the first step would be aftermarket wheels and tires, aftermarket swingarm. Unless your just looking at removing parts. Then you could cut your plastics, or you could get it less muddy. That shit weighs a lot! :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol. So why are you trying to drop weight on it? I think it would just be easier to add some power. Are you just doing it because of $$? I would think the first step would be aftermarket wheels and tires, aftermarket swingarm. Unless your just looking at removing parts. Then you could cut your plastics, or you could get it less muddy. That shit weighs a lot! :D
Look at the last post I made

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Yeah, I got distracted by the TV while writting my post so it took me a while, lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well the real reason I made this thread is because, I have a new riding buddy, and he has a 400ex with the big 3. I've seen his quad a few times, and it seems like its real fast, and well there really aren't any more mods I can do to the raptor to make it faster without breaking down the motor, so I was wondering if there was a way to drop a few pounds on the raptor to better the power:weight..

I have not gotten a chance to ride with him yet, but lets say if I were to race him, does anyone think I will be able to get him off the line and keep a good lead on him for a while until that 400 gets up to speed?
Anyone one on any quad can beat another off the line, that's called skill. Yes, you may be able to take him off the line, but he will catch up somewhere in 3rd, and be long gone in 5th. Our little Raptor 250's have a top speed of 55mph stock, then you have to figure in rider weight and your 13T sprocket, you might do 50-51mph. I have no problem leading 300EX and following 400EX through the desert trails. As for the weight reduction, not really sure what to tell you. As far as beating teh 400EX in a straight line, change to a 15T gear just for the race, then change back if you like it that way.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Stock wheels are aluminum by the way, or every scratch would rust;)

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Nope, painted aluminum.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Go on a diet ;)
I agree with this completely. Unless you are already a skinny little runt, losing 10 pounds off your arse is easy, but you will spend way more time and effort trying to make your Raptor lose 10 pounds without removing equipment that you don't really want to remove.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Shave fenders, front brakes, bumper, nerfs, heel guards, grab bar, exhaust silencer, parking brake, twist throttle, MX tires.

·
2011 RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
883 Posts
i had a 400ex punched to a 440 with high compression, Carb mods, air intake, yoshi exhaust. Mine was fast but if you have the big 3 in your rappy your fine. Unless you cant ride and he can. I have seen people who say the can ride and cant worth crap. If you get beat swap bikes and re-race. You may be shocked what happens.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i had a 400ex punched to a 440 with high compression, Carb mods, air intake, yoshi exhaust. Mine was fast but if you have the big 3 in your rappy your fine. Unless you cant ride and he can. I have seen people who say the can ride and cant worth crap. If you get beat swap bikes and re-race. You may be shocked what happens.
Just found out that he doesn't have big 3. He has a full DG exhaust, and he thinks it may be jetted, but he's not sure..

You can see my mods down below my signature, I think I will be able to get a good lead on him, and if I remain full throttle and powershift my way through the gears, I think I will take him down... I have like 8 years of riding experience on quads. This is my friends first quad, but he has had a ttr-125 and a yz85 before this so he is pretty experienced too i suppose..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts