Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I couldn't give you a straight answer but I've been through this before when I started talking about my motor build,..most said 60 hp, the stock rod could possibly take more but why chance it.. Not sure about the stock crank, I'm sure its much much higher.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
pewterpecker said:
Ok. I assume that unless you're stroking the engine and need a new crank, the OEM would be fine for 90% of builds.

What is the most common replacement rod?
If you're in sustained high rpm, get a rod.

Barker's rod is the best replacement, and over the course of the last couple years has become the most common.

Other options include the carillo h-beam rod and Hotrod's replacement rod.

But honestly for the cost of replacing the rod one might as well get a whole new rod/crank stroker.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Maddog56 said:
pewterpecker said:
Ok. I assume that unless you're stroking the engine and need a new crank, the OEM would be fine for 90% of builds.

What is the most common replacement rod?
If you're in sustained high rpm, get a rod.

Barker's rod is the best replacement, and over the course of the last couple years has become the most common.

Other options include the carillo h-beam rod and Hotrod's replacement rod.

But honestly for the cost of replacing the rod one might as well get a whole new rod/crank stroker.
ya...what he ^ said :lol:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've seen 11 or so broker rods in motors. 9 of them were home builds that had less than 5 hours run time on them, 1 was a totally stock motor and 1 I couldn't find a plausable reason for the failure.

Lets talk about the 9. In all 9 of them, I was able to trace the cause of failure to the new piston grabbing to cylinder wall and pulling the rod apart, 7 of those 9 had inferrior bore jobs that were either out of round, tappered or improper piston to wall clearances set. 1 had rings installed that were never gaped and the other did a break in with stock jetting.

There are many, many Raptors in the mid 60s on stock rods for long periods of time.

I do always recommend rod replacement though, just because it makes sense and gives a solid platform for future internal mods. The barker rod is the best IMO but if someone's budget doesn't allow for that, the stock stroke hotrods replacement rod/crank is the best bang for the buck out there.

The lessons to learn is that if you are doing a home build, find the best machine shop in your town that deals with motorcycle stuff and knows how to bore these jugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.