Raptor Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,188 Posts
Don't skimp out on the steering damper. Get a good fastway or precision if you can afford it. CCP units are cheaper and some guys run them with no issues.

Talk to Jogaca about shocks, I am real happy with the ones in my sig I got from him.

Thanks for the beer tip...where do they think they are, Utah?

I have 2 CCP units with no problems. They get a workout in the sand for sure.

Jogaca for sure on shocks.

What, no tequila?

Have a good time, no matter what the cost, weather, or wife says.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
3 vote for JOGACA
Did mine and a buddies.
Beer wise, they have different laws about sales on Sunday as well. Can’t remember exactly.
The sand is better in the early spring. Not nearly the traffic. Think of it like a wake on a lake.
Wind storms turn that place into a sheet of glass. It’s awesome.
Product review in new dirt wheels about paddles I’m thinkin the tires arm AMS,
Yeah ams, page 56

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
3 vote for JOGACA
Did mine and a buddies.
Beer wise, they have different laws about sales on Sunday as well. Can’t remember exactly.
The sand is better in the early spring. Not nearly the traffic. Think of it like a wake on a lake.
Wind storms turn that place into a sheet of glass. It’s awesome.
Product review in new dirt wheels about paddles I’m thinkin the tires arm AMS,
Yeah ams, page 56

Skat Trak Edges my friend. 21x12x8 with 7-8 paddle bead to bead buff, you'll thank me later.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Skat Trak Edges my friend. 21x12x8 with 7-8 paddle bead to bead buff, you'll thank me later.
I will go ahead and thank you now. Thanks cammy! You just saved me alot of research. I will be picking up a set for our next trip out there. Im trying to get the guys on board to go out for the snake hunt this spring

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
11,188 Posts
I agree, that's what I run most of the time, 21in for height, 8 paddle with 70+ HP, and 14 tooth sprocket. Lots of people question the Edges over the Haulers for traction. I have both and the Haulers are great for straight acceleration or racing. But for steering or sticking on a side hill the edges are great. Watch your local Craigs list for any Skat Track tires , 21in or 22in, Edges or Haulers. Otherwise they are expensive to buy new.

Reactions: Cammy and mattzila

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Cammy, I got this one.

DO NOT GO TO THE SNAKE HUNT TO RIDE. You will end up hurt, in jail, or dead.

The snake hunt is the unofficial kickoff to the season out there. The sand is ruff, the people hammered, and the Cops and Rangers are on the lookout. (how'd I do Cam? Hope I wasn't to blunt.)
Cammy suggested this to me years ago, and since it's what we do. Go the week before the snake hunt. Sand is good (prolly smoother than ya'll had. We've been in NOV. as well.) People less hammered and just less of em. Cops N Rangers not in snake hunt mode. Plus the cool snake hunt posters are available for free everywhere in town. My favorite one is "In loving memory of No Thumbs Gus" or something like that.

Jus say'n.

Reactions: ian77

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
And Cammys tire recommendation is spot on. I have gopro footage of me getting pelted by sand while riding behind him. Yeah I coulda moved left or right to avoid it. But who wants to watch that?

#sufferformycraft

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks for the respose guys, im super excited! I have some sand geckos for the rear, just need to get them mounted and get a flag and i guess im good to go! We are thinking probly the first week of november, so if anyone wants to join us, the more the better. On a side note, is there a dyno close to there? There is definitely not one close to home and it would be a great opportunity to get it done if there was one nearby...

UPDATE: They do have a dyno at "STEWARTS SAND SPORTS" in Waynoka, just a few miles from the sand. I was quoted $300 for my pc3, but i didnt have enough cash with me to get it done. You need to make an appointment before you go out there. Just thought this info might help someone in the future

Reactions: mattzila

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
Cammy, I got this one.

DO NOT GO TO THE SNAKE HUNT TO RIDE. You will end up hurt, in jail, or dead.

The snake hunt is the unofficial kickoff to the season out there. The sand is ruff, the people hammered, and the Cops and Rangers are on the lookout. (how'd I do Cam? Hope I wasn't to blunt.)
Cammy suggested this to me years ago, and since it's what we do. Go the week before the snake hunt. Sand is good (prolly smoother than ya'll had. We've been in NOV. as well.) People less hammered and just less of em. Cops N Rangers not in snake hunt mode. Plus the cool snake hunt posters are available for free everywhere in town. My favorite one is "In loving memory of No Thumbs Gus" or something like that.

Jus say'n.
Spot on! :rofl:

UPDATE: They do have a dyno at "STEWARTS SAND SPORTS" in Waynoka, just a few miles from the sand. I was quoted $300 for my pc3, but i didnt have enough cash with me to get it done. You need to make an appointment before you go out there. Just thought this info might help someone in the future

I've heard not so good things about them. Go to Brentley in Tulsa, he does tons of them for half the cost.

And Dez pertaining to the tires, I have two friends running for the most part identical builds to my old one and they ran edges compared to my straights. Drags were neck in neck for every bike every time with different riders. So don't don't think the straight haulers or extremes are better than the edges in a straight line. I rode theirs with the edges and hands down the absolute best of duning and drag worlds combined with little to no negative aspects.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
No snake hunt,
Skat trak edges,
Dyno in tulsa, got it! Thanks guys. Great info from the forum, as usual!

·
11,188 Posts
The main thing about sand is you have to MOVE SAND. Be aggressive when starting, climbing or squirting around a bush or stump. Lean forward to keep the front end down, or flip the rear link. Take off your skid plate.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Were going back to little sahara in a few weeks. I think the 18th-22nd, but i will update if that changes. Everyone who can come, should!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
As Dez says, the Skat Traks seem to be about as good as it gets. My sandstars will do, but I want the Skat edges. I just can't justify the $ for a once (sometimes twice) a year run. I went to a 15 tooth sprocket, that combined with lower air pressure and that's got me back to having more power than I need (not more than I want though).

I doubt I come back in April, however my dad has a brother in Tulsa so if my pops would ride with me that far........IDK
The Dunes have GROWN out there. By maybe as much as a story. We confirmed this with locals on our last trip. I doubt it happened before your trip, more likely over the winter. Be ready to see it again for the first time. I'm even smiling now.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just out of curiosity. How long do those paddle tyres last on sand?

·
Registered
342 Posts

A long time as long you don’t ride anywhere else with them. My current set of paddles has lasted me 4 seasons and honestly they could probably go another 4 if they don’t dry rot first here in the dry climate.

·
11,188 Posts
The paddles will last forever, But high horsepower, roots and gravel may rip some loose, asphalt/concrete will wear them fast going to the sand and running really low pressure will break down the sidewall. Some brands like Skat Trak will loose air if buffed to thin. Paddles also work great in snow but not ice.

Reactions: BlackSupra

·
11,188 Posts
A long time as long you don’t ride anywhere else with them. My current set of paddles has lasted me 4 seasons and honestly they could probably go another 4 if they don’t dry rot first here in the dry climate.

Try using a tire dressing spray to prevent rot.

Reactions: PHX RAPTOR

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Were going back to little sahara in a few weeks. I think the 18th-22nd, but i will update if that changes. Everyone who can come, should!

Our trip has been postponed. Date pending, but soon. Probly early may, im anxious to get out there

Reactions: Cammy
61 - 79 of 79 Posts