Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Tuesday my '09 yfzR locked up on Rossier Engineering's dyno. I tore the top end apart that evening to find a trashed cylinder and piston.

Today I got the motor out of the quad and onto the work bench. I was noticing tons of metal shavings in the oil while taking things apart, especially on the ac magneto. Once I worked my way to take off the oil pump I found this wedged under the oil pump gear......

Looks to be a dowel pin. Both dowel pins were in place when I took the cylinder off too.... Looks like somebody was in this motor and forgot or dropped something in here! I know the dowel pin wasn't the cause for the quad to lock up (connecting rod bearing) but it sure didn't help!

This is where I stand now. $1100 later and waiting on parts.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure if I can buy another used quad again because of this.

·
Registered
749 Posts
ughh that's such a shame! hope everything works out okay....and you don't have to spend too much more money of course haha

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
That'll buff out...

Wow bro that sucks. I'd be sick.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ha. Looks like I won't be getting that $1000 head work this winter! :(

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I'm sure. Wow. I'd be furious about that dowel. Lol you should call the PO and be like, yeah thanks dude for that extra dowel you left me in the bottom of the motor, I really needed an extra one.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah it's not worth it really. I'm just going to go drown myself instead haha

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Hahahahahaha hangings faster, unless you aren't going for faster? Lol.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crank, bearings, cylinder, oil pump, cam chain, chain tensioner, gaskets, valve springs, valve seals; all OEM, and a 12.5:1 JE piston. I just wanna do it right the first time and not have to tear the motor apart shortly after assembled because I skipped out on something. Ultimately I want a reliable mx'er.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Yeah it sucks tearing it back down again. I can see the $1100 price tag now lol. Well good luck to ya and just remember to not put a dowel pin in the bottom end like the PO did;)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha thanks bro. I'm sure I'll need all the luck I can get!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts