Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...In my attempt to stay in the Yamaha family, I've been looking at some 660s. I found a 2003 special edition that doesn't look too bad. It definately needs new tires, and the guy who owns it says it needs a new rim because one has a slight wobble. Is there a chance it could not be the wheel and be the wheel bearing or hub? I'm sure the bearing might be shot due to the rim being bent and ridden on though. The chain and sprockets are looking a little rough too, but that will give me a chance to play with the gearing. All in all, I'm trying to be cost efficient about it, and would like a strong quad to ride and fix up the cosmetics in the process. I plan on getting a Lexx slip-on, filter, and jet kit at some point.Can't wait to play with the dual carbs...:confused: lol

Here's the link to it, let me know what you think about it and what I should look out for...Once I get it I will probably end up flushing the oil, coolant, and brake fluid and put fresh in all and replacing stuff as needed.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/2418696269.html

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey guys...In my attempt to stay in the Yamaha family, I've been looking at some 660s. I found a 2003 special edition that doesn't look too bad. It definately needs new tires, and the guy who owns it says it needs a new rim because one has a slight wobble. Is there a chance it could not be the wheel and be the wheel bearing or hub? I'm sure the bearing might be shot due to the rim being bent and ridden on though. The chain and sprockets are looking a little rough too, but that will give me a chance to play with the gearing. All in all, I'm trying to be cost efficient about it, and would like a strong quad to ride and fix up the cosmetics in the process. I plan on getting a Lexx slip-on, filter, and jet kit at some point.Can't wait to play with the dual carbs...:confused: lol

Here's the link to it, let me know what you think about it and what I should look out for...Once I get it I will probably end up flushing the oil, coolant, and brake fluid and put fresh in all and replacing stuff as needed.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/2418696269.html
The rim will bend much easier then the hub, bearing worn will not cause the problem nor the spindle..............

·
Registered
521 Posts
wheel bearing is nothing major if it isnt completely gone (if its completely shot, the hubs for being torn up) other wise a front bearing is just about 20 or so minutes to fix ( i have the bearing numbers if youd want so you can just buy them at a bearing shop). I have a bent wheel on the front, i need to find a cheap one to fix it to rid the wobble. but i still ride it. chain and sprockets are wear items, just look up reviews to see what people like, just dont lose the nut keep for the front sprocket (the shop lost mine,i didnt know, nut almost fell off while riding)

and dont go slip on, youll gonna regret it and want a full exhaust, mine has a white bros e series slip on... i want a full exhaust so bad ha.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wheel bearing is nothing major if it isnt completely gone (if its completely shot, the hubs for being torn up) other wise a front bearing is just about 20 or so minutes to fix ( i have the bearing numbers if youd want so you can just buy them at a bearing shop). I have a bent wheel on the front, i need to find a cheap one to fix it to rid the wobble. but i still ride it. chain and sprockets are wear items, just look up reviews to see what people like, just dont lose the nut keep for the front sprocket (the shop lost mine,i didnt know, nut almost fell off while riding)

and dont go slip on, youll gonna regret it and want a full exhaust, mine has a white bros e series slip on... i want a full exhaust so bad ha.
Well this is good to hear. I'm hopefully going to look at it in person this weekend and come home with it if it's any good. I'm just going with a Lexx slip on for now mainly for sound and its cheap...The 660 will be enough for me power wise for a while and I don't have the cash for a full system. Eventually I'd get a set of duals for it, but in the meantime the sound adjustability of the Lexx will serve me well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good luck

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't. But he is a YFZ450 rider so I'm sure he'll figure it out eventually. Especially since his son will be racing it and breaking lots of shit haha. I can't wait to get back on a quad again. I feel lost now that I don't own one lol

·
Registered
521 Posts
I didn't. But he is a YFZ450 rider so I'm sure he'll figure it out eventually. Especially since his son will be racing it and breaking lots of shit haha. I can't wait to get back on a quad again. I feel lost now that I don't own one lol
i know the feeling, i got my raptor last summer, rode it one night and it went to the shop for a rebuild.. got it back in february, got to put <10 hours on it... it back in the shop...and now our kodiak is sitting behind me on a jackstand waiting for a wheel bearing kit to come in (easy to tell if a wheel bearing is shot when you knock the knuckle loose and a bunch of little silver balls fall onto the ground hahaha)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know the feeling, i got my raptor last summer, rode it one night and it went to the shop for a rebuild.. got it back in february, got to put <10 hours on it... it back in the shop...and now our kodiak is sitting behind me on a jackstand waiting for a wheel bearing kit to come in (easy to tell if a wheel bearing is shot when you knock the knuckle loose and a bunch of little silver balls fall onto the ground hahaha)
Haha damn that sucks, what happened to the Raptor? Where you at in Central Pa?

·
Registered
521 Posts
im in central pa, the raptor is at track n trail in state college getting worked on.
first problem (last summer) when i bought it, it unknowingly basically had a fried engine,got a full rebuild done (bore, piston, cam, crank, connecting rod). got it back, got to ride it a little (couldnt ride much due to it still being winter). went to go riding one night, it starting blowing smoke and running rough. got back, oil looked like chocolate milk. took it to the shop, they said the water froze (didnt fill it with antifreeze, was waiting to fix a small hole in the radiator) and the shop said when the water froze, it pushed the cylinder wallsin. (dont know how it froze, it sat in a heated garage) so yeah. just waiting to get it back again.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That really blows especially considering it was just rebuilt! It sounds like we aren't too far away maybe two hours

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So are there any specific issues the 2003 models had? I doubt it since the trans issue was buttoned up for 2002. But anything else?

·
Registered
298 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts