Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all! Just spent the weekend on the dunes at Silver Lake sharing my cousin's new 700R with him. We came to the conclusion that one bike for two people sucks, and we just happened to stumble across a smoking deal on an '03 660R. I'm in the process of figuring out my financial crap to see if it's doable.

Between my cousin (he worked his way up from a Blaster and Banshee) and another Rappy guy at work, I think I'll have a pretty good handle on things, but I've never actually owned a quad before. I put untold hours on my dad's Fourtrax 125cc years ago, but the most I ever did to that was change the oil and add gas. I drive a Syclone (see sig) so I know a thing or two about wrenching on autos. However, I don't know much about carbs other than the basic theory of how they work. They make an EFI kit for the 660?

I've heard about the starter stuff, but are there any other major issues I should look for and/or expect? Most of my riding will be fields and dunes. I have lots of fun with my toys, but I don't beat on them. At this point, I'm not expecting to do much to it - probably a few basic mods and/or reliability stuff (not even sure what those are yet). Other than reading everything I can find, anyone got any tips?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The only efi kit I know of is sold by yamaha with the name 700r, just add gas.
I've read a few things from the past where people tried it but nothing has stuck around that I know of, doesn't mean there isn't a kit out there though. There is a lot of info floating around the forum and web about the raptor carbs, lots of reading to be had. Thier not that difficult once you've had them apart a few times.

Welcome

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yea theres a EFI kit by KMS (sp?) but its probly more then wat your going to pay for the bike.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
KMS EFI - approximately 1500 bucks - http://www.kmsperformance.com/

Aside from the normal things you look for when buying a used atv, you should also look at some specifics on a raptor. Check to make sure it starts smoothly every time, the one-way assembly and battery can go fast. Take a good look at the carbs and make sure they're working properly with no flat or lean spots in the jetting, also look at the carb boots and intake for condition.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just bought the 03 raptor. Paid 2,500.00. Worth every penny. I put another 900.00 in aftermarket parts (yosh full system, dynojet kit, handlebars, graphics, etc...). It is worth it. I ride everyweekend. Went from a KX250 to the raptor. Kicks but in the mud, sand and on the asphault. :eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you ride a lot in the sand like I used to before I moved to the east coast...you should try getting a front sprocket that is one less tooth than stock. It will give you a little more get up and go on the low and mid and you will never really notice the loss of top end. Only costs about $15 bucks or so and you don't have to take any links out of the chain...just readjust it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts