Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i feel realy dumb to have to ask this, but ive seen alot of warnings from you guys against doing full pipes and/or intake mods without doing the EFI control mod.

ive been an automotive tech for a fair number of years, and i fully understand without the EFI it will be runing lean, but i realy cant see what damage can result from a lean mixture.

if it were two stroke deffinately, on a vehicle a lean mixture may or may not cause a miss...rich is deffinately bad because you will burn out the cat in no time..

but on an atv there is no cat to burn out..nor is there aditional cylinders firing to keep the engine momentum going. so if it were too lean by my thought it would fail to ignite.

ive tried to reason this out knowing the ideal fuel to air ratio is 14.7:1 at best i cant see it being increased to more than 17:1. which may or may not burn on spark ignition. mabey im just thinking too much like an auto tech. lol

can someone please elaborate on this? i refuse to do any type of mod that may have a chance to harm my baby, so im going to do all three at once, i just like to know exactly what makes it tick :grin_nod:

·
Registered
107 Posts
A lean mixture of air/fuel will burn hotter then a rich mixture. Running lean just causes to much heat for the engine to handle. I have see holes in pistion from running to much boost (not enough fuel-lean) in a turbocharged engine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
daytonaman said:
A lean mixture of air/fuel will burn hotter then a rich mixture. Running lean just causes to much heat for the engine to handle. I have see holes in pistion from running to much boost (not enough fuel-lean) in a turbocharged engine.
i see...your right, it will indeed burn hotter. and the thiner cylinder walls and lighter pistons cant disperse it fast enough like a full block can, resulting in break down of its integrity.

i wasnt looking at it from that angle, that makes perfect sense.

thank you sir :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts