Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was adjusting my valves today and when I doing the exhaust side when I slid the gauge in there my exhaust rocker will actually lift up slightly. I adjusted the clearance anyway with the gauge still in there. Now when i crank it up the top end is chattering pretty loudly. It was extremely quiet before but when I initially checked the valves there was no clearance to be had.

Is it normal for the exhaust rocker to be loose like that? Is there a way to tighten it? Is some chattering normal?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. Both the exhaust and intake rocker lift slightly when putting the feeler gauge in there. Looking for experiences.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your response. My gauge does have resistance as I am pulling it out but I guess my concern is this. When I insert the gauge in between the rocker and the tappet the rocker will lift up just slightly increasing the total clearance. I will set the clearance with the gauge still in place but when I pull the gauge out the rocker will go back down and make contact with the tappet. It is almost like the clearance is there but the rocker rests on the valve. Then as the cam rotates the rocker will lift back up and then the clearance is there again. It just seems that while at TDC I can take the rocker and lift it up and down.

I realize some valve instructions say that the rockers will be "semi loose" but is that loose in a horizontal or vertical motion. While at TDC I can pick up the rocker slide in the gauge set my clearance pull the gauge out (there will be resistance) and then the rocker falls down on the valve.

The clearance does come back when I start to rotate the cam. I can understand the valve noise because my old Z400 ticked like crazy I just want to make sure that there is no problems with my rockers.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts