Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to put the Raptor on a diet without sacrificing strength? I ride a lot of desert trails and dunes mostly. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,586 Posts
"they come out mostly at night.......mosstlly" (movie line from Aliens)


............ummm, getting rid of the stock exhaust will save a good chunk. If your fan never does anything like mine, you can yard it. replace a lot of the steel parts with aluminum, and dont add unneccessary parts. You could always spring for the yamaha cross drilled rotor that " reduces unsprung weight for improved suspension action and excellent braking feel."......HA HA....that was a joke by the way.
you could switch to fox float shox......I dont know what else. these machines are way harder to lighten up compared to my yfz!
 

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
Joined
·
733 Posts
Loose the parking brake assy, fenders, headlights and go with aftermakets like trail tech this alows you to loose the brackets. loose the steel handlebars, aluminum rear axle, front bumper have a rear shock made for you and loose he coupling linkage, and a good poop before the ride should do it!! :grin_nod: :grin_nod:

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,586 Posts
Shredder770 said:
Loose the parking brake assy, fenders, headlights and go with aftermakets like trail tech this alows you to loose the brackets. loose the steel handlebars, aluminum rear axle, front bumper have a rear shock made for you and loose he coupling linkage, and a good poop before the ride should do it!! :grin_nod: :grin_nod:

Mike
............there are some more good idea's...I knew I wasnt thinking of everything. I dont know if I would do the aluminum axle though. He is concerned with keeping strength. From what I have heard is the aluminum axles are good for drags and hill climbs....but they cant take the stress of jumps of whoops...or anything that causes vertical stress. Aluminum does not flex....the steel ones do.

Durablue makes some pretty lite-weight axles that are still steel (and are still heavier than the alum.) and they are meant to be abused. I think its like the X-33, and it only weighs 12-13 lbs, and comes with alum hubs. Stock ones weigh like 20lbs
 

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
Joined
·
733 Posts
I guess my point was that you touched on a few things but there is a ton of stuff you can do to shed weight. in retrospect as a 280lb rider a few pounds off the bike and big power takes care of the rest ;)

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,586 Posts
Shredder770 said:
I guess my point was that you touched on a few things but there is a ton of stuff you can do to shed weight. in retrospect as a 280lb rider a few pounds off the bike and big power takes care of the rest ;)

Mike
I know Mike.....I only could think of a few things...and you definately added some more good ones. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
The JJ & A solid aluim play axel is plenty strong for a duner and a good deal lighter than the stocker. It's the gun drilled drag axel that's only good for drags and hill shooting. The play axle is guranteed and Jeff at JJ & A has the best no questions asked warranty in the industry and excellent customer service just in case there is ever a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
The JJ & A solid aluim play axel is plenty strong for a duner and a good deal lighter than the stocker. It's the gun drilled drag axel that's only good for drags and hill shooting. The play axle is guranteed and Jeff at JJ & A has the best no questions asked warranty in the industry and excellent customer service just in case there is ever a problem.
Agreed, we have the play axle on my sons Honda and he jumps quite a bit(Dunes).

No problems yet, and if it brakes, it has a lifetime gaurantee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,586 Posts
I got a question on those axles, since it soudn like you can after all run them for small jumps and like woods racing. It says its adjustable from 29-34 inches. How wide is the stocker? How does it adjust?
$650 is pretty steap......how much weight are you saving over the durablue x33 at $439? It too claims 12-13lbs? Thats already quite a bit off stock.....and the JJ&A are suppose to be 12lbs too?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
With the JJ&A you get the brake hub,sprocket hub and wheel hubs and adjusting tools. They run 650.00 delivered for the complete assy. for the 700R The entire assy weighs what the bare durablue axle does.

The JJ& A is keyed like a go kart or mini sprint rear axle. You just loosen the pinch bolts up on the wheel hubs and slide them in or out.
I would not reccomend the JJ&A for any other kind of riding other than dunes, it was desigend for the serious duner and in that application will give many years of service.
 

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
Joined
·
733 Posts
One other HUGEweight savings of 3 full ounces would be to install one of the last 18 Speed sensor removal plugs ;)

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,586 Posts
ahhhh.....yes indeed.....I installed mine the other day. really helped the power to weight ratio! :thumbsup:
 

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
Joined
·
733 Posts
LOL....faster than you ever thought you could be

Mike
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top