Raptor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I'm running into a bit of confusion here.

Just to be clear I have 3 plugs going to the box. The large middle plug (an 8-pin connector with seven wires going to it) has a white with green stripe, but no green with white stripe. The green with white strip is on a smaller connector. I am assuming that I need to ground the green with white stripe even though its not going to the large connector to the box.

Let me know if this is correct.
Yes, when this sticky was written, we didn't fully know about the differences in CDI pinouts between 01 and 02+ 660's... The service manual's wiring diagram is for 01 models and the only difference between the 01 and 02+ IS in the CDI pinout. They have not published a revised version of the wiring diagram... However, since then we have deciphered the puzzle and it is posted in my sticky - "The differences between 01 and 02 CDI wiring explained":

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42545

From this, I would expect you to have the Green/white stripe wire in the small, 4 pin CDI connector if you are an 02+. Does this jive with what you have, and was what was causing your confusion?

Thanks for raising this issue, I'm going to edit the first post to reflect the change for 02+ CDI's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can confirm that the green/white wire in the 4-pin connector is indeed the proper one to ground on my 02 660. I grounded it and it disables the revlimiter

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I can confirm that the green/white wire in the 4-pin connector is indeed the proper one to ground on my 02 660. I grounded it and it disables the revlimiter
Color was never the issue - it is green/white on all years... just wanted to verify the CDI connector it was in on your bike. Thanks,

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
383 Posts
ok, another possibly silly question. can I just put a switch to ground the wire when I want to use more power in reverse and let the lite go off?

and if so, can I engage reverse, realize it's not enough power, then flip the switch while still in reverse and nail it hard after? if not I suppose I'll get the relay lol. figured I have switches laying around anyway. and would not want the wife to pound it in reverse with the baby on the bike and eat crap... she mostly rides it. I pretty much stick with the LtR

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Quad Have you tried taking the 2 wires out of the stator plug to see what it does?

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
ok, another possibly silly question. can I just put a switch to ground the wire when I want to use more power in reverse and let the lite go off?

and if so, can I engage reverse, realize it's not enough power, then flip the switch while still in reverse and nail it hard after? if not I suppose I'll get the relay lol. figured I have switches laying around anyway. and would not want the wife to pound it in reverse with the baby on the bike and eat crap... she mostly rides it. I pretty much stick with the LtR
Answer to your q's are all yes. IMO, this is the easiest way to do it...

My Polaris has a stock push button on the left bar that disables the reverse limiter when you need more power, and it works great. Of course, it's a CVT tranny, no clutch. Might be a bit harder to push the button same time as pulling the clutch... but a toggle switch will work just fine too.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
383 Posts
Answer to your q's are all yes. IMO, this is the easiest way to do it...

My Polaris has a stock push button on the left bar that disables the reverse limiter when you need more power, and it works great. Of course, it's a CVT tranny, no clutch. Might be a bit harder to push the button same time as pulling the clutch... but a toggle switch will work just fine too.
Thank u!

that's why Ur the man :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quadmaniac thanks for the right up, just what I've been looking for. Going to Radio Shack tomorrow to get the relay.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the relay, and have it pre-wired. Before I go cutting I want to clear up the issue of the blue/green stripe wire on 02+ models. The green with white stripe is in the 4 pin connector, this is confirmed. (top right wire in pic)

There is no blue/green stripe wire in an 02+ harness. There is a green wire in the six pin plug. Is this the other wire we need? (bottom left wire in pic)

EDIT: Looking at the diagram of a 660 RHINO, it shows a green/blue wire in the same spot as the green wire in our 02+ harness. It leads to the reverse light.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
THe wire is GREEN with BLUE stripe, not BLUE with GREEN stripe.

There is a bit of confusion whether this is Green/blue or Green (no stripe) on the 02+, but either way, it is the only green wire in the 6 pin connector, it's in the bottom left corner in your pic - and does drive the reverse light.

·
Registered
148 Posts
THe wire is GREEN with BLUE stripe, not BLUE with GREEN stripe.

There is a bit of confusion whether this is Green/blue or Green (no stripe) on the 02+, but either way, it is the only green wire in the 6 pin connector, it's in the bottom left corner in your pic - and does drive the reverse light.
Sorry about that color error. I am confirming it is the solid Green wire in the 6pin connector, I just hooked it up and it works great. Thanks again for this awesome cheap mod.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You're welcome and thanks for clarifying the green vs green/blue on the 02+ - now we know for sure.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
what would make the neutral light stay on all the time? its on it every gear including reverse. the previous owner grounded a wire by the shifter and thats all i really know that was done.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
He probably grounded the WRONG wire - is it light blue? That's the neutral switch wire. Instead, to eliminate the reverse RPM limiter (and the light), the green/white wire should be grounded. The reverse switch and wire is right next to the neutral switch.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I'll have to take a look when I get home. Should I be concerned with anything else since he apparently didn't know what he was doing? Also I have no RPM limiter in reverse, would grounding the neutral wire eliminate it? I'm tempted to buy a new wiring harness or is that too rash?

41 - 60 of 87 Posts