Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you concerned about the shrinking number of places to ride your Quad?
Do the local MX tracks allow you to ride there?
Are you being shut out of woodlands & recreational areas?

I asked Maddog about this & this wa sa part of his reply:
"When I was growing up on motorcycles there were literally dozens of places to ride within a half hour drive of my hometown. Now I've got to travel more than an hour from there to ride a small, rough, ungroomed trail system that's been partially closed for 3 years because of "clean up". Now that I've moved to another state I'm even more unhappy with the riding conditions. There are very few places to ride unless you choose to run an mx track and the few areas you can ride at require daily permits to do so. I've seen the situation change dramatically and quickly over my relatively short lifespan, I think it's moving quite fast and the sport is in serious danger."

The aim of this topic is to ask:
1/ Do you care?
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you?
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport?
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence?

Regards

Phil (aka Dragonz)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess no-one gives a shit!
Thought there might be a few of you out there prepared to stick ya neck out a little & think about something other than ragging eachother (not that I can talk.........)

Heres some quotes from recent posts:
"I have checked into at least 10 of the MX tracks in my area and not one of them allows quads!"

"Snowmobilers are much better organized that atv/mx riders and they've experienced restrictions on 2 strokes in national parks and other areas. But they still have 2 stroke machines coming out every year."

Are you willing to just let your right to ride be slowly eroded away from under you?

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
I myself haven't noticed any larger trail systems being shut down in my area, There is a local MX track that has nights set aside for quads, as far as space in general for riding, my quad is parked at my parents house where there's plenty of land to ride... I guess I'm not totally sure/aware of land being closed off from riding?

R

·
0 Posts
This is kinda a problem for my area but cops in my area are to lazy todo anyting about it... All I know is that if you go riding and break down or get stuck, you CAN NOT leave your quad to get help or go to your truck. People are freaks here in the south, you can be gone for 3 minutes and when you come back your quad is either gone or somewhat resembles a quad. I don't plan to ride by myself until I can "carry" when I turn 21.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I have riden on private land since child hood. When I moved into my current house, we rode on the powerlines for about 5 years... recently there have been propety stakes popping up all down the line!!! Last time I went out the Police were there!!! I think they tried to flag me down... but I didn't stop. As of the last few weeks, an all out duner quad doesn't seem to off course anymore!!! I always said I wouldn't do that cause I LOVE to ride trails, but I ride sand more than dirt with the loss of my local trails. :( Next they'll shut the dunes down and I'll sell my baby and buy a tree so I can hug that I guess. Michigan does have alot of riding ground but it's at least a 2 hour ride North for me. With a familay and all it's hard to dedicate an entire day to ride. The local trails were great cause I could just ride for an hour or so and go home. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
I also don't know of any land that has been closed to atv's in my area, and I don't even know where a MX track is. The only land I've ever heard about being closed is at pismo and silver lake and the land had been closed for a few years already.

here is what you asked.
1/ Do you care? =yes
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you? =yes
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport? =none, i wouldn't know where to start
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence? =yes

ok, so I've answred those questions, but now My question is, what can we do to help out? if someone comes up with a plan that makes sence and needs help, i'm all in, but i have no idea what i would do or could do to stop it, especially since it's not happing in my area.. it's a great topic to start, but what can we do...?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nick
here is what you asked.
1/ Do you care? =yes
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you? =yes
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport? =none, i wouldn't know where to start
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence? =yes

ok, so I've answred those questions, but now My question is, what can we do to help out? if someone comes up with a plan that makes sence and needs help, i'm all in, but i have no idea what i would do or could do to stop it, especially since it's not happing in my area.. it's a great topic to start, but what can we do...?

[/quote]
That what this thread is really about.
Asking for ideas & suggestions.
This is the ground floor, we're all looking for a place to start.

I believe (despite our best efforts in the BS threads) that we are a group of intelligent people who collectively can come up with plans to:
1/ prevent losing our places to ride
2/ prevent those that 'govern' us from outlawing our toys
3/ build links to other recreational vehicle groups (MX, Roadbikes, 4x4, other?) to build a stronger voice
4/ With the help of the above groups, possibly even open up new or formerly closed off areas for all to drive/use/ride in.

I will try to keep this thread on the first page, so it get seen.
Post your ideas, comments suggestions

I will then try to collate what you put up, & then we can possibly start to build an action plan from there to suit wherever it is that you live/ride.
I had one which is based round getting dialog going with local MX (& even RV) clubs.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Georgia caters to dirtbikes! i have yet to ride at a place i consider "quad-friendly". Every place has rutted out trails that never get groomed, and the only thing they ever do to the trails is add jumps that take up the whole road and get unlevel within one day so they throw you sideways and all that junk. Not to mention the place called BROAD RIVER ATV only allows quads on their track every other weekend and never on weekdays. Really what i want is for places to actually consider everyone riding at their facility not just the dirtbikes. And, GROOM YOUR TRAILS!!! THE MX TRACKS ARE NOT THE ONLY THING THAT GETS YOU BUSINESS! Instead of having six loaders and dozers on one track how about using some of your equipment on the trails. I like a groomed track but id trade it any day of the week for a nice trail that doesnt have random holes on high speed sections.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
We were talking about this the other day.

We haven't had any uncle sam places closed (even though they try).....

When I was in middle school, I remember reading articles in Dirt Wheels about losing riding areas. I remember thinking to myself, "They're crazy, there are all kinds of places to ride." Well, I was too young to realize they weren't meaning the 3 acre patch of woods behind my house, they were meaning large, designated areas. Recently, with some land acquisitions some of our areas are in question, now.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a lot of action on this thread so far, but I want to keep it in the line of sight for all of us who ride 'cos the tide is coming in, however slowly it may seem where you are.
If you meet someone, & it gets talked about, post the discussion here
If you see something happening somewhere post it here again
good & bad, inform us all, if its not good, we'll lend our support, if it is good, then pass it on so those who may seem to be loosing out can try to use your gain as leverage to help in their fight.

If you live in an area that is loosing places to ride, try to put together some info on what has happened in the last 5-10 years, what is the land being used for now,who owns it, what other groups have lost out?

If an area is NOT built out, NOT set aside as a nature reserve, NOT being farmed then lets look at it & see if there are ways that access could be opened up.
Regardless of weather it is private or public land, access can be granted if the right approach is taken & sufficient "encouragement" can be bought to bear by as many interest groups as possible, working together.

Think about it :)

·
Freak!
7,986 Posts
dragonz said:
Are you concerned about the shrinking number of places to ride your Quad?
Do the local MX tracks allow you to ride there?
Are you being shut out of woodlands & recreational areas?

I asked Maddog about this & this wa sa part of his reply:
"When I was growing up on motorcycles there were literally dozens of places to ride within a half hour drive of my hometown. Now I've got to travel more than an hour from there to ride a small, rough, ungroomed trail system that's been partially closed for 3 years because of "clean up". Now that I've moved to another state I'm even more unhappy with the riding conditions. There are very few places to ride unless you choose to run an mx track and the few areas you can ride at require daily permits to do so. I've seen the situation change dramatically and quickly over my relatively short lifespan, I think it's moving quite fast and the sport is in serious danger."

1/ Do you care?
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you?
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport?
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence?

Regards

Phil (aka Dragonz)
1) Hell yes I care
2) I already voulenteer with my local club to keep the trail areas clean and groomed as nessasary (1 Day a month)
3) I think we could learn from the fishing and hunting clubs and promote family riding, safety, and sport equally
4) yes, I'm intrested, but don't know where to start

Good thread buddy! :thumbsup:
Aaron

·
Registered
198 Posts
John said:
this is a HUGE problem in florida, thats why im moving to oregon soon lol
There use to be good riding spots in florida but i dont know what happed. I remember when the Compound in Palm Bay use to open, know you have to sneek your quad in and if you get caught your looking at a big tickiet. :( :'(

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
raptorrider34 said:
Georgia caters to dirtbikes! i have yet to ride at a place i consider "quad-friendly". Every place has rutted out trails that never get groomed, and the only thing they ever do to the trails is add jumps that take up the whole road and get unlevel within one day so they throw you sideways and all that junk. Not to mention the place called BROAD RIVER ATV only allows quads on their track every other weekend and never on weekdays. Really what i want is for places to actually consider everyone riding at their facility not just the dirtbikes. And, GROOM YOUR TRAILS!!! THE MX TRACKS ARE NOT THE ONLY THING THAT GETS YOU BUSINESS! Instead of having six loaders and dozers on one track how about using some of your equipment on the trails. I like a groomed track but id trade it any day of the week for a nice trail that doesnt have random holes on high speed sections.
I agree with everything you just said. I really think the big problem is down here is that quads get a bad rap from all the big 4x4 going off the trail and ripping the shit out of things. I love when you see 4x4 guys just riping the shit out of stuff and thinking its cool. What I really mean is that they are dumbasses. The same problem happened in Minnesota on the river bottoms. Its great to go out to Rocky Creek and see 4 year olds riding 750 Brute Forces around the parking lot when there parents are drinking a beer watching. I love to see people out on the trail with no helmets on holding the throttle with one hand and having a beer in the other when the riding area has posted sign helmets mandatory and no alcohol. The best thing is when you go to a riding area and see all the trash laying around because of people are to lazy to pick up after themselves. This is one of the main reason riding areas are getting closed, because of ignorant people. Everybody wants to have a good time riding but people don't need to take riding areas for granted.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it keeps happening!
One of the beach access roads has been blocked off by the forrestry workers.
40' log 2-3' in diameter across the top of the track through the dunes, dug in each end.
Lucky the wind has been so high as to maske it visible by moving the sand, otherwise could be a killer if someone going for it to try to get over.

Looks likle a possible battle looming between the forestry & the 4x4's & bikes.
Time to put my money where my mouth is & start doing something about it.
Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have lost access to several good trail systems in the last few yrs within an hour from our house because of 4x4's keeping the trails so torn up and rutted out :mad: Our favorite trail to ride on now is only three hrs from the house and it has come close to shutting down several times in the past year :(

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
In MI most of them are already closed... Silver Lake is the last hoorah. If it's not private property... then it must be goverment owned. In the private property sector... $$ talks, but getting people to put up the $$ is the problem too. Then it comes down to bikes vs. quads. The indoor areanas and such are kinda pricks... they tend to strongly favor the bikes... they only let quads in few days a year!!! :mad:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ohio Raptor Rider said:
are most of these placed that close up government owned?
Two of our favorite places to ride at were government owned property....the last placed that was closed down was because a certain atv club kept trespassing on one of the Corp. of Engineers private roads and kept it all rutted up so bad that the Corp. couldn't drive their 4x4 trucks down it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts