Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Our club president has had a series of meetings with CHH the company that operates the commercial forrestry operation that backs onto the beach where we ride (They don't own the land, its govt property, just the trees & the right to grow them there)
Seems some of the locals have been recording licence plate no's of all the vehicles they see using the LEGAL public accesses & have been sending them on to CHH who have then been issuing tresspass notices to all the vehicle owners!
We also suspect that the 'ringleader' of these locals my have a vested financial interest in limiting the number of recreational visitors to the area, as he is a property developer trying to set up an 'exclusive' lodge for the upper-crust, & our bikes & 4wd's etc make noise & dust & 'visual polution' that detracts from what he is trying to 'create'................
Will keep you posted

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Do you know where its incredibly hard to find good trails? NEW YORK. I love to ride trails and everything but there hard to find around me. The closet place to ride "legal" trails is like an hour or so away, and I honestly can't find any tracks around me ether, especially for beginners.

I wish I could do something but cops just don't understand you want a place to ride, and people are taking it away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There were thousands of patitions (if thats how you spell it?) in florida ( st pete area ) to make some undeveloped land a riding area. Nothing more has been said about it.Everyone complains about the noise.They had a lot of problems when they opened a track in my area and it was all about the noise.We have to many tree huggers in the gov.It sucks I have to drive an hour to ride trails.They complain about quads and bike tearing up the ground but they have no problem tearing it down and building condos!!!!! just my $0.02

Andy

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Here in central kansas cops and locals would rather kill or injure me or issue me a ticket, for just riding on a public county road rather that going after Americas #1 problem: meth labs I got stoped yesterday, for no reason

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here in central kansas cops and locals would rather kill or injure me or issue me a ticket, for just riding on a public county road rather that going after Americas #1 problem: meth labs I got stoped yesterday, for no reason
you are an easy target, & you aren't drugged out of your mind & likely to kill them with your bare hands (if nothing else is available), despite being shot 2-3 times!
Clearing out meth labs is like mowing the lawn here in mid-spring.
By the time you've finished mowing it, the grass is longer than when you started!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is Washington state, riding areas aren't popular with our state government. They are slowly trying to shut them all down. This is what happens when you have a Democrat governor and 2/3 of the state legislature is Democrat as well--no balance. And the enviro-nazis always donate a lot of money to the Democrats. Unfortunately, the riders in this state don't seem to care as much about keeping these trails open as the enviro-nazis want to close them!

This is why we should all join organizations like the Blue Ribbon Coalition http://www.sharetrails.org/

These types of organizations fight to keep our trails open. Only 10% of riders donate to organizations like this. If that were to increase to 50%, we'd have some real power to keep our favorite riding areas open.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
GrnXnham said:
Here is Washington state, riding areas aren't popular with our state government. They are slowly trying to shut them all down. This is what happens when you have a Democrat governor and 2/3 of the state legislature is Democrat as well--no balance. And the enviro-nazis always donate a lot of money to the Democrats. Unfortunately, the riders in this state don't seem to care as much about keeping these trails open as the enviro-nazis want to close them!

This is why we should all join organizations like the Blue Ribbon Coalition http://www.sharetrails.org/

These types of organizations fight to keep our trails open. Only 10% of riders donate to organizations like this. If that were to increase to 50%, we'd have some real power to keep our favorite riding areas open.
Good Idea!
Something pro-active that people can do!
We don't have anything like that here, but we're working on it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What I am concerned about, is not places to ride, but the fact that someone can't take out there quad, when the have a big grassy area to ride. Also the cops, are just plain jerks. There not understanding or anything, I mean its a hobby, its not like we are doing anything illegal, but they don't see that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here in South Dakota there are really no restrictions for atv riding. There are trails all over the Black Hills and out in the Bad Lands. I don't see them being closed any time soon. The local riders keep things pretty clean around here. There are also a few mx tracks that allow atvs all the time. Pay your $5 and ride all day. You can even license your atv and ride it like a street bike. There are also the dunes out in Wyoming that are a couple hours away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm pissed off cause I've been paying on a 07 700R SE and haven't ridden it since July 07. Last time I took it out is when we took it to New Mexico. Gotta love forest roads (437 in Angel Fire). The wife and I had a blast out there. It took me 12 hours non stop to get there but it was worth it. I live in Texas south of Dallas 30 minutes and I can't find the time to drive for a place to ride. I got my Raptor for Christmas 06. I really need to make time to go out and ride but I gotta fix the Raptor first.....I rolled it in New Mexico on a granite hill that was loose chunks on a 45 dregee incline and lost traction. All I really need is the throttle housing. I've been thinking of getting the thumb/twist grip combo......Mikey

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes! The Gifford Pinchot National Forest in Southwest Washington has just started meetings on opening up some of the forest service land. After attending an open house presentation given by the Forest Circus, I can tell this is going to be an uphill battle.

The main argument they have is lack of money to maintain a riding area. The first area we would like opened up is gated and abandoned roads. This would take no money to open and local riders maintain the few trails they do have open anyway.

The horse people are the second hurdle. They are well organized and have many friends in the Circus. They want the few trails that are open to ORV's closed so they can ride without competition. They already have several (over 25) trails to ride locally that are only open to hikers and horses.

We are just starting to get organized. If anybody in Southwest Washington is interested in getting involved please email me.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes i care, it sucks :(

Well my local mx track is being sued for some reason by the local house for the noise, wich sucks, but i donated money to help pay for the lawyer to save the park. the trails by my house are not much, thrown on about 3 acres by the locals and everytime we ride there some one has a problem and calls the cops or something. its dumb. but yes i want to help as much as i can, i have donated money, and wrote to dirtwheels about the issue, i dont think they posted it tho...

·
Registered
66 Posts
My buddies and I live south of Houston and are also affected by the closing of riding areas though we never had designated areas to ride the owners never minded until young bucks come in ,and either tear the land up or are so loud that the owners don't want to listen to it anymore. We have thought about buying land ,which is not cheap and opening a Mx track w/ trails running around it. So I have a question for everyone especially for those around Angelton,TX.
1. How far would you be willing to drive?
2. What would be a resonable price to pay for a day of riding?
3. What type of riding would you prefer?
4. Would you be willing to share it with bikes if it where kept groomed?

·
Registered
294 Posts
The situation here in New York/Long Island is completely unacceptable...we really have nowhere to ride. There are a couple tracks here on Long Island, but they are very very expensive, and usually packed with so many bikes/quads thats its not fun to ride.

The only other option we have is "illegal" riding spots. And although the police sometimes overlook us riding on this land, the fact of the matter is that it is illegal, and they can come down on us any time they want, so thats not as fun as it could be.

The only time I ride freely is when we go upstate to my friends cabin where he has land, and thats 4+ hours away.

I wish I can just hop on the quad and go down the block like some of you do, and hit up the trails, and power lines, but we just dont have that here.

I have been praying for some snow all winter so we can go out and play on the roads, but with this global warming, there hasnt been any real snow in NYC.

The bottom line is that if you are not ready to throw the quads on a trailer, haul the bikes for a 2-3 hour ride, and shell out your money to pay to use a facility, then you are shit outta luck and will not have a place to ride her in NY/LI.

Its great that i am in close proximity to NYC where i work, but the riding situation really sucks. :help:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can atv and snomobile across the whole state of maine, countless atv clubs. Powerlines, raliroad bed, all the snomobile trails are sick becuase they go everywhere but dont open till may for atvs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
“What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport?”
1) Loud pipes on public lands and trails need to go. Yes they are vary cool, yes they make power, and yes they piss a lot of people off. One person bitching about how someone scared the shit out of their Chi Wawa running a set of closed track pipes (or even stock pipes with no baffles and sparkies) when they went by their house, completely overshadows the other fifty quads that went by running legal pipes.
2) Start small and be heard. If you want any changes you need to start at the local level. Remember the people who are making these laws are elected officials. Even a group of a hundred riders is of little to no concern to a state official who is looking for thousands of votes. But you would be surprised how the local board will react to a hundred voters showing up at a town meeting. So go to town and county board meetings and bring friends. Nothing pisses me off more then hearing someone piss and wine about how their community just passed a vote to shut down a riding area when they never showed up for the board meeting to be heard.
3) Obey the laws and respect privet land. Nothing hurts our sport more then bad press. One story of a guy outrunning the law or blowing doughnuts in a farmers field making the paper is all the tree huggers need to counter the positive efforts of a entire ATV club.

·
Registered
330 Posts
this is a problem here in central Pennsylvania too. i ride on private land and the owner is threatening me and my friends who all barely ride on it anyways that he will shut it down because of the noise. my bike is completely stock (performance wise) my buddies 88 bayou, 01 trailblazer, and 06 outlaw 500 are all stock too. now the only place that i know of around here are tower city and coal country. tower city is too expensive and coal country is too far away for me and hatfield/mccoy is a state away. there are no mx tracks close to here either. i hate to realize this but soon we might not have this sport anymore.

and yes i care and im concerned. and it sucks big time. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
save our sport

Are you concerned about the shrinking number of places to ride your Quad?
Do the local MX tracks allow you to ride there?
Are you being shut out of woodlands & recreational areas?

I asked Maddog about this & this wa sa part of his reply:
"When I was growing up on motorcycles there were literally dozens of places to ride within a half hour drive of my hometown. Now I've got to travel more than an hour from there to ride a small, rough, ungroomed trail system that's been partially closed for 3 years because of "clean up". Now that I've moved to another state I'm even more unhappy with the riding conditions. There are very few places to ride unless you choose to run an mx track and the few areas you can ride at require daily permits to do so. I've seen the situation change dramatically and quickly over my relatively short lifespan, I think it's moving quite fast and the sport is in serious danger."

The aim of this topic is to ask:
1/ Do you care?
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you?
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport?
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence?

Regards

Phil (aka Dragonz)

take a look at this site www.arkansastrailblazers.com

21 - 40 of 62 Posts