Raptor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you concerned about the shrinking number of places to ride your Quad?
Do the local MX tracks allow you to ride there?
Are you being shut out of woodlands & recreational areas?

I asked Maddog about this & this wa sa part of his reply:
"When I was growing up on motorcycles there were literally dozens of places to ride within a half hour drive of my hometown. Now I've got to travel more than an hour from there to ride a small, rough, ungroomed trail system that's been partially closed for 3 years because of "clean up". Now that I've moved to another state I'm even more unhappy with the riding conditions. There are very few places to ride unless you choose to run an mx track and the few areas you can ride at require daily permits to do so. I've seen the situation change dramatically and quickly over my relatively short lifespan, I think it's moving quite fast and the sport is in serious danger."

The aim of this topic is to ask:
1/ Do you care?
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you?
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport?
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence?

Regards

Phil (aka Dragonz)

1. Yes we should all care especially if the riding area is public land.
2. Am and do.
3. I do my volunteer work with the Ouachita National Forests in Arkansas. I work with my district on all aspects of ATV recreation from creation, repair, relocation, signage, and much more. This is all done in my spare time and is not as much work as some may think.
Breakdown of organizations and clubs
National- These are your legal and lobbying friends. Some examples of these groups are the Blue Ribbon Coalition, NOHVCC(education), Tread Lightly(education), AARP.

State- These groups work in the legislative side of things in our home state. These groups help push bills for trail money and much more.

Local- These(depending on the state) are the most important. These are the riders. It is important for normal riders(even if they can't work) to get involved. With a few guys(in the club) who have working relationship and the numbers from the club you give the state and nationwide organizations a reason to help you because why should BRC spend the money to sue a land manager if they have no clubs or no one working with that land manager from the start?:eek: These groups don't know who rides the area thus unless you have a club who rides that area then they don't know who or how many ride.

Basically look at alliances other than motorcross when it comes to trails on public lands. I am a utility rider(originally a sport quad rider) but the same trails I ride from time to time are used by a local dirtbike group for MX events. So if they needs help or support on something they give me a call because it benefits them as much as me.(and vise vesa)

Just keep in mind though when you are working with the Forest Service, BLM, or whoever they are bad about double talking or talking too soon. Make sure anything important you get in writing. So if you get screwed over on something you can run to the bigger groups(state/national) and let them 1. advise you or 2. step in and diffuse the situation.

Working with government and private entities can be a pain. I don't know how many times I've wanted to rip out my hair and scream. Just always remember to be respectful. Chances are your trail is 1% of their job and usually something else is going on.

With the forest service remember. The MVUM forest plan stuff is done. Its in the bigger boys hands as we speak. Regardless if they closed your favorite trail or not we need to keep our current trail to the best they can be. So the land managers can't say "well we do all the work and we do not get any extra money or help to do this trail stuff."

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes, I care. Yes I am willing to be pro-active.

A positive idea I have is one I just did. I just wrote an e-mail to my state rep here in Michigan and inquired as to if he would be willing to look in to opening the Verona State Game area in Huron county to ATV's and snowmobiles. I volunteered my time to speerhead a committee to look in to the riding possibilities of the area if he is willing to give it a look. From my previous job, I remember the strategists figure ever letter they receive to be equal to 1,000 votes. Don't ask me how they figure that but they do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
good post

I am glad to see you post something like this.

Everything we do is under attack by a few people in the government and a few people with loud mouths.

These people take away our rights often by making everything we do into a negative thing. Where I live they are pushing permits to park along a river, closing the Forest Service Land, Putting up gates, etc.

If you see a gate it is going to be closed. If you are told to get a free permit...soon that free permit will be $5 bucks....Then $10.00

Be a voice.......a loud voice...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i found this when searching for ideas on how to make my yfz street legal here in alberta canada.

please spread this around!!!

Street Legal Quad - Europe has Street Quads Now -
Why Don't We?

Did you know that in Europe the sight of a street legal quad is common? That's right - atvs can go through a process called "homologation" that guarantees they meet certain standards established by the European Commission. Once they pass, these 4 wheelers can be licensed as "quadricycles".

Like this Polaris Revolver ATV concept. Here's a quote from Polaris:
"Revolver provides an awesome new driving experience with an uncommonly urban edge of sharp, aggressive attitude. The design of the Revolver includes such appointments as supple Italian leather seating, low-profile “floating” fender designs, modular deep-dish alloy wheels and stunning “light ring” headlights.

Guess what else - virtually all of todays street legal quads are converted off road atvs! What a concept. Once again, the Europeans prove that when it comes to motorized vehicles - they just "get it".

You think maybe in a land that's used to high gas prices and urban congestion they had the good sense to see street legal quads as a solution rather than a problem?

I know this is probably a fantasy - but wouldn't it be nice if our North American governments could wake up and take steps to legalize our own quadricycles?

Well, there is a way. We have to make enough noise to wake 'em up! After all, there are over 9 million atvs in the US, along with several multi-billion dollar corporations involved. If we all got together, I'm bettin' we could raise enough of a ruckus to get some attention!

First, a quick lesson in how politics in this country works. Do you know that most laws are written by lobbyists? Yep, they write 'em, find a legislator to introduce it as a bill, (usually one who has received large campaign contributions from them), and they're off and running.

That's exactly how the environmental groups work, and why they have been so successful in getting their way for so long. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not anti-environment. I don't want to ride through a steaming chemical dump any more than a Sierra Clubber wants to hike through one.

It's just that since the government is reactive rather than proactive - the end result of a lot of environmental legislation has been the loss of riding areas because it was easier for the bureaucrats to ban it. To be proactive means they would have actually had to figure out a way to manage it.

That's why the ATV community has to get smart, get organized, and start getting things done. I for one am not getting any younger. Since Europe has already paved the way (get it?) for the street legal quad, we just need to follow their lead.

You can start by writing your congressman and senator to let them know how you feel. It wouldn't hurt to educate them a little by letting them know that the street legal quad is well established in Europe and other countries right now!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The major area to ride in my town is now closed to motorcycles and ATV's. They are putting in another park (we already have about 12 parks in this small city.) It makes me mad that they closed it to rider's because they are not even starting the park project for another 2 years! None of it makes sense... I think they are just trying to stop the sport all together. Now I have to drive atleast a half hour to go riding.
If we wanna keep this sport going we need to make our voices heard. I really wouldn't mind paying a fee to ride somewhere as long as its not outrageous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just talked the woman that owns a small atv park about an hour from my house about volunteering so i will start on my week off work and i am going to try to go about 3 or 4 days a month. while i was there riding there was a guy that saw me on their unkept mx track and thought he was a badass and came right behind me and it was dusty and he had never rode this track before and hit a little woop and cased the other one and flipped. think he may have broke his shoulder and back and had to be air lifted.now they are talking about wiping the mx track out and putting an obstacle course in for 4x4's. i am going to try and keep them from doing that and maybe let me keep the track up for them.any thing you guys think i could say or do to keep the mx track. there is plenty of space for a mx track and a course for 4x4s' there. this is at williams hill pass in harrisburg il. kinda near marion

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
there is a cd out there that shows you how to keep your trails from getting shut down i read about it in dirt wheels. im also concerned about trails getting shut down here in az. there are tracks that did allow atvs that don't any more. we have to pay for sticker permits to ride in state trust areas which make up like 45 million a yr for the state and they still shut down trails all the time. imo i think they do it so when we go back there to ride they can give us fines not to mention that we now have a license plate and registration sticker on the plate like a car, on anything with a motor 50cc and up or you get fined and possible confiscation of your bike. and thats in the desert where there is (was) hundreds of trails. its getting rediculious:mad:

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
btw another thing that hurts us whether its atv or dirtbike is riding without helmets, drinking and riding ,double riding all these dumbs things and more lead to people getting hurt which leads to things getting shut down. don't be scared to say some to somebody about ruining our sport. sorry about the spoapbox rant.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
this is a HUGE problem in florida, thats why im moving to oregon soon lol
You must be in southern Florida. Up here in north central Florida I can leave the house on a quad and go either way until I run outta gas but I just cruise to the store get more gas ride another 1/2 day then gas up again and ride back home. Sometimes I ride 80-100 miles a day. FT.White,Florida a very small town 30 miles from Gainesville 23 to lakecity everything else is dirt (sand limerock mix) roads and woods I take the powerlines and dirt roads from trail to trail to dirt road to trail to towns,the river,then back to the house.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
You must be in southern Florida. Up here in north central Florida I can leave the house on a quad and go either way until I run outta gas but I just cruise to the store get more gas ride another 1/2 day then gas up again and ride back home. Sometimes I ride 80-100 miles a day. FT.White,Florida a very small town 30 miles from Gainesville 23 to lakecity everything else is dirt (sand limerock mix) roads and woods I take the powerlines and dirt roads from trail to trail to dirt road to trail to towns,the river,then back to the house.

i'm gonna have to come over to your place for a ride, all that sound cool to me:D

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
It's nice my mom has 400 acres of mostly pasture land some wooded but it's surrounded by miles of dirt roads woods and small towns. It's between 3 rivers a lot of fast riding for miles and miles and the cops don't care if you're on dirt roads or the back paved roads there's very little traffic and everyone ones a quad of some sort or sidexside.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in central Florida just north of Tampa (Brooksville) The only place i ride is at Rancho. But I've been thinking about going to ride at Croom, not too many places to ride close to here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have twenty acres that I have worked my ass off on to make about three and a half miles if trails on. And as a land owner it very hard to let anyone ride on your property due to the fear of being sued,now a days people will sue you at a drop of a hat. This donthelp the cause any.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have never had to worry about having no place to ride, all my life i have lived on brimstone recreation. Most of the trails around here were cut out by hunters back in the day lol. And it literally takes me a minute and im on a trail and there is so many trails it would take a month to ride them all. But now it cost like 50 bucks for a permit to ride all year. But we leace 2000 acres a year to hunt so we get our permits free. There is a big ride coming up this month check it out at www.brimstonerecreation.com

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is a huge problem in Long Island, if you're gonna ride you literally gotta have your escape route ready cause you're gonna get chased, which I don't really have a problem with, but I'm down to one escape in my neighborhood without going all out on streets and highways in which case they're gonna put a chopper up! Sooner or later they will catch on to my getaway and then I'm really [email protected]&$d!!!!! Anyone here from L.I.? And if so you got any ideas or places to ride?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've watched it happen since I was a teenager in the mid 80's, the lands change hands and either get turned into residential or commercial developments.
The real enemy is the same as it has always been, irresponsible riders that can't abide by the rules. It's this minority group that has drawn the attention of the conservationists, I remember when they(Sierra Club) petitioned the state of Cali., who in turn suspended the Barstow to Vegas race because of a desert tortoise.
Private land owners on the other hand do not want the potential liability issues, or the messes/problems caused by allowing the general public access to their land.
The only people that are going to provide us a place to ride, are businesses who do so for financial gain.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I ride the pa Reading anthracite land , about 22,000 acres to rip up .... Well worth the $$125 access permit...But outside that NE pa is getting tough...

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would ride trails more but, MX is all we got here and in Houston, Tx which is where I am from... Sure there are some trails here but you gotta have a WINCH! Or the ruts are so deep that a 2' lifted Utility Quad can't get through with 4x4!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts