Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! My 01 smokes a TON when I start it up cold and it fades after a little while but it's always still there. It also doesn't have the power that it used to. I plan to do a top end rebuild at the end of the month but that's not going to fix my problem is it? Can someone tell me exactly what parts i'm going to need to do the rebuild and fix this smoking problem? I want to bring all the parts to my mechanic so he can't give me the run around for 2 months saying he's "waiting for parts". Thanks in advance!:)

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Rings, piston, maybe rebore, valve stem seals, head gasket... it depends on what you find when you pull it apart.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey guys! My 01 smokes a TON when I start it up cold and it fades after a little while but it's always still there. It also doesn't have the power that it used to. I plan to do a top end rebuild at the end of the month but that's not going to fix my problem is it? Can someone tell me exactly what parts i'm going to need to do the rebuild and fix this smoking problem? I want to bring all the parts to my mechanic so he can't give me the run around for 2 months saying he's "waiting for parts". Thanks in advance!:)
A top end rebuild will fix the problem, parts needed will most likely be an oversize piston with rings and all the gaskets needed including valve seals, check the upper rod bushing for galling while oyu have it apart.........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS a lot for the info guys! The smoke is usually just white although sometimes when very cold starting I see a little black in there. What size bore should I do if I do oversize? Is there a lot more work involved to put a larger piston? I don't want to break the bank with this job, just want it to run like it used to. Can I just go stock bore? Also, I was looking at the Wiseco piston kit, so on top of that I will need the gasket kit and valve seals?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I just realized my sig still says 686 big bore kit. When I bought it I was told it had one but when the mechanic pulled it apart last fall he told me it is stock. Sorry about that

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Depending on the taper of the bore or if worn, you will be able to determine how much or if it needs to be bored............first over will give you a 666cc..............

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot guys. This site is so helpful I can't even tell you. So I guess I'll wait until he has it apart before I go buying parts. I think I might wait till the summer cuz I want to ride it this spring. Hopefully I won't do too much damage in the meantime. Hey Banshee, I'm assuming you own a Banshee also? My brother and I are looking into getting one as a project. I've heard they're a lot of fun and I miss the torquey 2 strokes! But damn! They're so expensive even for a much older one!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. This site is so helpful I can't even tell you. So I guess I'll wait until he has it apart before I go buying parts. I think I might wait till the summer cuz I want to ride it this spring. Hopefully I won't do too much damage in the meantime. Hey Banshee, I'm assuming you own a Banshee also? My brother and I are looking into getting one as a project. I've heard they're a lot of fun and I miss the torquey 2 strokes! But damn! They're so expensive even for a much older one!
My son has a Banshee for sale with a 421 Cub 4mm stroker.............

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
After modding a 4 stroker I think the 2-strokes were really cheap to do pretty significant work on. If you look you should be able to find a good banshee in the $800-1400 range. I just missed one a year ago that was $200 but needed a new crank and boring. It had sat along time and just rusted the crank and cylinders. It would have been really cheap to drop a stroker and piston kit in there and have a $1200 stroker banshee with a brand new engine. Unfortunately for me I was 10 minutes late :mad:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Not anymore.I had my Banshee for a looooonnnggg time. It was a 1991 with lots of goodies.The main reson the Banshee is more expensive to mod than the average 2 stroke is because you need 2 of almost everything.On the other hand like mentiond above & from my build experience a modern 4 stroke is very expensive to build.
I loved my Banshee but the Raptor I have now would destroy it:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Willy how much are you asking for the Banshee? I'm in NY though I don't know how I would get it here. Shipping for these things is pricey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts