Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 660 - looking for some help here before i tear it apart or maybe part it out. Got a loud knock coming from engine. it seems to sound like a rod or piston but i read it could be timing chain or valve adjustment? it has a new one way clutch, no smoke, didnt see any metal in oil and other then knock it seems to be running fine. thanks in advance for the help...

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
2001 660 - looking for some help here before i tear it apart or maybe part it out. Got a loud knock coming from engine. it seems to sound like a rod or piston but i read it could be timing chain or valve adjustment? it has a new one way clutch, no smoke, didnt see any metal in oil and other then knock it seems to be running fine. thanks in advance for the help...
At what RPM and does load to the engine cause a difference in the sound of your engine............

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
same noise idle or running, it doesnt change. it just goes with RPM's
Dump your oil and check for contamination, if you find lots of steel fragments, you most likely have a bearing problem, possible rod bearing, but I tend to think more along the lines of piston problem, then you should find aluminum deposits in the oil, also check your screen in the oil tank, remove the two allen head bolts and pull the filter out............

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help, turned out being something REALLY ODD... about a year ago the De-compression gear was repaired and a tiny chunk of metal finally found its way into the crank gear. Just so happen to be at the spot in the gear where the piston was all the way down at the very bottom. Took a small file and cleaned it off and I’m good to go. Thanks again VERY much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts